The sound of all that breaking glass is making me smile
    Good for you!!
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Broke All My Wine Glasses

Scrubbs,
      Sounds symbolic to me. Plus you've cleaned up a bunch of clutter!
      Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts.
      AF since May 6, 2010

Comment

Prancy - that is priceless! Thanks for the visual...

Tulipe - yes, it was clutter too, but wait until my husband finds out....he only drinks wine occasionally, when a friend might bring over something like a bottle of home-brewed mead or something...but all he is going to find in that cupboard are the REALLY ugly wineglasses that his mother insisted we take that she called family "heirlooms" but I called junk from her basement that HER mother-in-law probably foisted on her at some point. (I wanted to throw them out by hubby made me keep them. Now they are all he has to use.... :H:H)

Greenie, yes, there were about 30, but bear in mind that included a set of 12 long-stemmed red champagne flutes that only came out for New Year's each year. So only 18 other wineglasses....is that still a lot? :blush:

Comment

Great idea. love it. Does that mean I need to smash my coffee cups too. LOL I got very sneaky, didn't matter the vessel. I started drinking gren tea in my wine glasses, I thought it would be easier....nope. Just had to deal. I had a pretty wine stopper shaped like a dolphin that I never used cause I always finished the bottle and then some. It has since been retired, thank God.

We just have to commit, I think an extreme act of an ending is a goood step. Kudos:l
          :flower: I'm not as good as I'm gonna get, but I'm better than I used to be.

Comment

Hey whatever works for you...
            Forever loved, forever missed Papa Bear

Comment

Scrubbly, that was way funny!
              sigpic
              Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

I guess I'm just too frugal!! But I think it's sad that you felt you had to do that (although if it really helped you, I'm glad).

It sounds like you had quite a collection. I hope you won't be mad at yourself once the "high" subsides.... I know I would be! Heck, the very few times I've poured booze down the sink, I regretted That later!!

I wish you would have given away or, better yet, sold! Sorry.
                Sometimes you have to take the leap and build your wings on the way down... Anais Nin

Comment

I understand the wanting to get rid of the wine glasses. The fancy glasses go along with the ritual of the wine drinking.

When I am so weak that I still buy a bottle of wine, I refuse to drink it out of the one wine glass I have in the house. Its like I feel like I dont deserve to drink it out of a fancy wine glass, I drink it out of something else.

Wow, thats rather an eye opener!!!

Glad you got rid of the glasses Scrubby, how many AF days you at now?
                  I LOVE MY SEROTONIN AND BOOZE SCREWS IT UP!!!!!

Comment

akgirl;658119 wrote: Does that mean I need to smash my coffee cups too.
                    :H:H:H:H
                    "If you fell down yesterday, get up today." -- H.G. Wells

Comment

scrubbly;657618 wrote: Ok, I know that those of you thrifty people out there are cringeing big time. But I just had to do it.

I am one of those people to whom drinking wine was not just about the AL and the high, but it was about the AURA. It was about being FANCY, about taking care of myself, about doing something so special.

And I knew if I was really going to do this that I couldn't start doing things like having fizzy drinks in my lovely wine glasses that I had collected over the years, the ones that I had found at wineries in Napa, or at at Macy's in San Francisco on that drink-fest of a trip with girlfriends, etc. For me, that would have maintained the AURA of the whole thing, the mystique of AL that it was some great treat that equated to self-care when it became something so NOT caring for me in the end. I had to stop thinking of those glasses as part of a reward for a hard day, for a boring day, for a celebration, etc.

So I took about 30 of them, put them in a bag the other night, and smashed them in the driveway. It was a bit scary, but afterwards I really did feel better.

Sick, huh?!

I know, I could have boxed them up and donated them somewhere, but I really think it was cathartic to just smash them up and be done with it.

As I've said before, referrals to qualified therapists are always welcome.
                      30 you had? never had that many wine glasses. i went to plastic after falling so much.

did you ever consider Salavation Army? nice dessert ware for people on a budget.
                      An Improved Ripple. :monalisa:

Comment

Im getting the feeling that Scrubby really NEEDED to smash the wine glasses. For herself. Right Scrubby?
                        I LOVE MY SEROTONIN AND BOOZE SCREWS IT UP!!!!!

Comment

Sounds very therapeutic! I think rituals are important. You created a ritual to help yourself. I do think the "aura" and idea that drinking wine is sophisticated, part of a fancy meal, etc. is one of the things that makes it hard to give up.

Comment

Zenstyle;658085 wrote: I just read this thread... :H :H Good work Scrubbly!

I have a load of matching glasses, wine and otherwise, that were given to me when I got married. I hate the feckers anyway. You've given me an idea....
                            Jeeze, how many peeps were brave enough to marry you??lol! They must have needed alod of wine glasses to survive a marridge with you...har de har de har!:H

Comment

ya wee skelp...I love it!

Comment

Geezus! I have owned many a wine glasses in my life but only have two left! This is from breaking them 'somehow' while drinking!

Did it feel good to seek and destroy? Pretty liberating, eh?

Comment

Working...
                                X