Self medicate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self medicate

I have been AF for the last five months this time and I seem to have more triggers for everything from food, drinking and smoking when I'm feeling bad. I struggle with allergies/sinus problems alot. I take the over the counter meds such as claritin or zrytec and do the sinus rinse and stuff but my question is I seem to have more feelings of wanting my addictions more when I'm sick...does that make any since to any of you? The only thing I could think of is I'm trying to self medicate. I'm not drinking or smoking (just thinking about it more) but the eating is a different story. Anyone else go through that?
    Just curious

Sunnydaz (sober 5 months 1 day
    smober 106 days)

Self medicate

Hi Sunny,

I figured out (after a lot of soul searching) that my MAIN trigger was 'feeling sorry for myself'.
    The reason didn't matter - whether it was feeling lonely, sad, tired, a bit under the weather............it didn't matter. Self pity is a ridiculous waste of time. Once I identified that trigger and put a stop to it, things became much easier for me. I found that distraction was the key, still is!!

You have done so well with your quits, be proud
    Try to get into the habit of distracting yourself when drinking or smoking thoughts occur. Stop whatever it is you're doing and go do something completely different. It really works for me. As far as eating is concerned - well, I'm still dealing with that too. I just renewed my Weight Watchers membership - hoping that having to be accountable to someone else helps...............

Wishing you all the best,
    Lavande aka shs71
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Working...
    X