Craving Triggers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Craving Triggers

There I was feeling so pleased with myself for getting to day 4 virtually craving free when I thought about a friend who is now back from her holiday and whom I haven't seen for a couple of weeks. Sometimes we drink tea together sometimes white wine but of course all I could think of was the wine so I didn't go and see her. Then later as I was preparing dinner my partner asked if he could do anything to help. I was okay in the kitchen but normally I would have asked hime to go to the cellar for a bottle of white. It was really hard for a good hour. I tried drinking loads of juice and eating but that didn't seem to help and I couldn't go off and walk or run as I was cooking. Still I resisted and have learnt again that getting over hungry and thirsty makes cravings worst and to remember that there are trigggers to cravings but the feeling does go eventually even if at the time you feel like all the effort is worthless if you are going to feel like this at times for ever and ever. Forget of course the hangovers etc that will last for ever and ever to if you carry on drinking.
    :thanks:
    Suz
    Happy to be sober since 07 Sept 09.

Craving Triggers

Sometimes you just have to ride the cravings out. Some things that help:

-- Eating or drinking something else (you've already tried this but it often works)
    -- L-glutamine under the tongue
    -- Some kind of physical activity if possible -- going for a walk, a run, whatever you like
    -- Making a phone call, talking to someone you don't associate with alcohol
    -- Talking to someone about the craving
    -- Thinking the drink through to its end: what will it come to? what will it accomplish?
    -- Reminding yourself how good you'll feel when you have successfully resisisted
    -- Reminding yourself there's really nothing to resist in the first place: alcohol doesn't do anything positive for you, and it's only the alcohol creating a need for itself (not you needing the alcohol)

Hang in there and good luck to you!

Mike
    "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Comment

Craving Triggers

Dear Sobermom,

Good for you for getting this far!!

What I found was my first hour home from work was my worst time. things I found to get past it.

--Like Mike, I would come home and take the L-glutamine.
      --Also found if I took a protein bar to work and have it by 4:30. I am not starved so don't need my drink so much.
      -- Started making dinners that need the oven, (I used to make Chinese about 3 times a week, I will get back there but not right now.) then went off and listened to the CD while dinner was cooking.
      -- Have a big glass of ice water the first thing I walk in the door.
      --NOW, I start dinner in the oven and head off to the stationary bike - a new addition in our house. (When I finish with 20 - 30 minutes I only want water again, I dont' want alcohol.)
      -- also decided NOT to have my first drink until after dinner. (Amazes me how much it gets put off until later then a few weeks into that, well I am having more and more AF days.)
      Wishing you the best!!
      Mary

Comment

Working...
      X