Weight Gain Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weight Gain Question

I always heard that going AF should help you lose weight? Anybody ever gained weight going AF? I'm only on day 5...probably eating about the same, but seem to be packing on a few pounds??? Maybe it's all the water I'm drinking...

Strange because I used to knock back a few whiskys and then a couple bottles of wine per night...

Anybody experience this? I know, I would rather be AF and have a few extra, but just seems odd.
    AF since July 8, 2009...

Weight Gain Question

Hey me as well, I stopped proper this time, not prodding at it any more on the 2nd of July, and have put on 7 pounds. I am pretty short so this is quite a chubby suit I find my self wearing. The muffin top over the jeans is really not a good look. So perhaps a life in longer sweatshirts is called for. I have no idea why I would put on weight, I am not eating any more or any differently than previously and of course am not getting the bottle and a half of wine each night, so in theory????? Anybody know what is going on? Please help.
    :lI'd really rather be skiing:H

Comment

Weight Gain Question

When I have gone AF, which has been rather often, I have found that I suddenly pass a lot of fluid on about day four or five. I am sure that our bodies get very out of synch and that it has to learn how to balance fluids again. Maybe there is a bit of fluid retention at the moment.

Comment

Weight Gain Question

I agree. Your body is not used to not being dehydrated and it takes some time to adjust. Keep drinking plenty of water and try pineapple -- it's a natural dieuretic. Congrats on your 10th day. WOW!
        "If you fell down yesterday, get up today." -- H.G. Wells

Comment

Weight Gain Question

when i stoped drinking i put on nearly 9 lbs,i had to change my eating habits & stop eating junk,drinking water would not put on weight

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
          I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Weight Gain Question

Lurker checking in here...

I don't get the weight thing either. If you read diet books they'll say stay away from alcohol cuz they're "empty calories" and you'll gain weight. If that theory is correct I should be dropping 2 pounds a week. I drank like a fish. Instead I seem to have to watch what I eat more than ever.

Comment

Weight Gain Question

I lost a bit initially, and then gained some, and am now losing again pretty regularly. When I Googled about it, I found an interesting explanation. (Maybe it also depends upon what you've been eating all along.)

It said something like:

When you drink, you don't absorb food / nutrition properly. If you've been drinking regularly for a long time, your body is starved of nutrition, whether or not you're big or skinny. When you stop drinking and your body comes clean, it takes that food / nutrition and hangs onto as much of it as it can .. (sort of like when someone goes on a fad diet, loses nicely, but then gains it all back + more when they stop dieting, because their body thinks it might starve again .. so-called "survival mode").

Your body will need time to get used to its "new routine" .. and then the pounds will start coming off. You can combat this by becoming more active and making sure you eat healthy foods.

...... I don't know if all that's true, but it kind of makes sense.
              AF for two years. Slight relapse. Working on it at the moment.

Comment

Weight Gain Question

Thanks 42Cat...it does make sense!
                AF since July 8, 2009...

Comment

Weight Gain Question

Nat, I believe when we give our bodies what it SHOULD have instead of poisen, it finds its own place. Maybe yours is searching????
                  sigpic
                  Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
                  awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Weight Gain Question

You've nailed it Ruby...
                    National, I believe our bodies are copping a break for the first time and will need more time than this to adjust.
                    At the moment I am battling chocolate cravings, and giving in much more than I should, but I'll deal with THAT one next.
                    First things first....get rid of the booze... then by next week I think, I'll make a master plan about exercise and diet. In previous attempts I have lost weight within days, mainly fluid of course. Not so this time.I'm not bothered too much for now, as long as I'm not drinking.
                    When you think that our livers and neighbouring organs are responsible for fat metabolism and regulation of Blood Sugar Levels,(as well as MANY other things) and recognise that these organs are VERY likely damaged or compromised, it is no small wonder that our bodies will take a while to regain homeostasis, or their 'status quo'.
                    Bridge
                    If your 8 year old self met you, would they be proud?
                    Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

Weight Gain Question

Like all the information, 42Cat sounds convincing.
                      Rubywillow, do you have a Sat Nav I can borrow so the fat that seems to be finding it's place on my body can move on to the right place.
                      Perhaps a bit of Status Quo is what we all need. (no calories in great music).
                      Bye for now - the larger than ever Skid Row.
                      :lI'd really rather be skiing:H

Comment

Working...
                      X