Progress Report (and Hello) from A Work In Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today I received an email from MWO, saying that someone had tried to send me a PM on the site, but that my inbox was full. So: I did some thinking, about whether I wanted to log onto the site, to clear out that mailbox.

It was almost a year ago when I first arrived on MWO, and almost a year ago since I last had a drink. It was about 3 or 4 months ago when I departed from MWO, and I have not logged in for quite a long time, now.

I do know that when people suddenly leave MWO, whether with or without an explanation (and I did provide an explanation, partly because I didn’t want people to worry about me), the people who once were friends (and some who were, shall we say, not so friendly!) tend to wonder… “How is so-and-so getting along?” I know the feeling very well; I still wonder, sometimes, how WonderWorld is (she left with no explanation, and my worry about her still lingers).

So, with all that in mind, I decided that I would log in, clear out the inbox, and say hello. A progress report, for anyone who might care, from A Work In Progress. I am just about at the one year mark, so the timing is good.

I’m doing fine. I don’t drink, and I rarely think about it. Life still has challenges, but alcohol is not one of them, for me. No hangovers, no blackouts, no fear, despair, and shame over what I have done, what I might have done, and what I might in the future do, because of alcohol. The longer I go without drinking, the more clearly I realize that the idea that alcohol is something that adds something to life is a huge distortion, and it creates tremendous suffering for those who cannot reliably control their drinking. I no longer allow that idea to inhabit my mind.

Which brings me to the issue of self-control. I believe that conquering a serious alcohol problem is a difficult project that requires commitment and self-control, like any other significant project in life. It is very much like a career, like raising children, like a marriage, like finishing a degree or certificate in school. It requires doing things we sometimes do not want to do, and giving up things we would like to have.

And, perhaps more than those other demanding life projects, giving up an alcohol abuse problem (or addiction, or dependence… whatever you want to call it) requires self-control not just in the most obvious area of behavior (getting the alcohol, and putting it into your mouth), but also in one’s thinking, emotion regulation, and impulse control. All of these are related, but not identical. One aspect of self-control that was very important to me was to discipline myself to tell myself “I don’t drink” repeatedly, and to refuse to allow myself to dwell on ideas about (a) how “nice” it would be to have “a drink” or (b) how maybe this time I can begin to successfully, reliably, control my consumption. Those thoughts will lead to only one place, and I refuse to go there.

So: Hello to my friends here at MWO, and also to people who have arrived in the last few months, as well. I wish you all well. If you are determined to get alcohol out of your life, you can do it. It takes determination, and a lot of work (changing one’s thinking, environment, and behavior). If you want it badly enough, you can do it. And I hope you do; the suffering that alcohol creates for us, and for our friends and families, is unnecessary and (to be honest) it is inexcusable.

Finally, please don’t be lulled into the idea that “slips” are inevitable. This is something that is often voiced at MWO, and I think it is dead wrong, and a dangerous idea. Yes, it’s true that relapses are frequent occurrences; but each relapse is a decision to do something of great potential harm. Once I accepted that fundamental fact, things became much easier for me. I hope that it will help you, too.

WIP, I started a thread trying to hunt ya down.
    I thought Ruby might have your Email ???
    Great to see you !!!
    I was in Sanford not long ago checking out the antique shops downtown..........WOW, you
    were right ... Charming (expensive) but charming.
    sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

Hi WIP, nice to hear from you and I'm glad you're doing well. I was wondering if you had moved to Florida on a permanent basis and how your house looks now.
      sigpic
      Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

WIP,

I enjoyed reading your posts when I first arrived back in February and learned much from them too.
        I am very happy to hear that you are well and obviously in control of your life, good for you. I am approaching 4 AF months myself and understand the determination and amount of work involved.

Wishing you continued success and happiness!
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Evie Lou, hey, that's nice (the thread)! Yeah those Sanford shops are way too expensive, I think... I hope they make it, but seems as if the business model is not quite matching the surroundings of old downtown Sanford. I mean, it's not Winter Park! Hope you're doing well.

Hey Greenie! Not permanently in Florida, not yet... it will be quite a while, because Mother still needs me here. I just keep going back and forth, doing major Renovation Trips. Kind of exhausting. I usually fit in some down time, though, especially doing some photography. I have gotten heavily back into photography, and am having a ball with it! Hope you are well!

Comment

Hey to you, too, Lavande! Good for you on 4 months, that is tremendous! It's a wonderful milestone.

Comment

thats great you are doing so good and it so nice to see you .. please dont be a stranger .. hey what part of fl are you in ?? wip
              :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
              best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

Hello WIP,
                Good to hear from you. A thought provoking post. Yep, I too found it was primarily attitude and discipline that changed my drinking round. And I kidded myself for a while about slip ups.
                You have given very sage advice. Much appreciated.

Comment

Nice to know you are doing so well and have a new or rediscovered hobby in photography. I am glad you mentioned your mother, I was going to ask about her.

Thanks for checking in and much continued success to you. I liked your post.

Comment

tlrgs: thanks!

Rags: Yeah... our minds are terribly deceptive, aren't they! Good to hear from you, and that you're doing well.

luCKy: hey, I absolutely LOVE that picture of Lucy in her tent! Priceless. Now my dogs are gonna want a tent... Thanks for the note... I hope your mother's doing OK? How goes it? I hope very well.

Comment

Hi WIP! Thank you so much for coming back to say "hello", and give a progress report. It sounds like you are doing great. I am very, very happy for you (and others who have managed to get to the place where you are).

As always, you are very articulate and you make your points well. However, I find your conclusions and advice somewhat provocative. I mean no disrespect to you, and I feel certain that you are entirely sincere in your expression of your beliefs.

Many people purport that alcoholism is a matter of self-control. AA is the main perpetrator of this concept, and AA does offer help to all alcoholics, although it only really helps a small percentage to stay sober (this is not a matter of opinion, it is a fact supported by statistics).

Why does AA work long-term for about 5% of the alcoholics who seek to stop drinking? Why does it not help keep the other 95% sober for more than a year? Many people have been asking this question in recent years. Nobody denies that AA serves an important function for a myriad of people around the world. But most of them don't remain sober.

The reason is that self-control is irrelevant to a certain proportion of alcoholics. Most of these alcoholics exhibit a great deal of self control in other areas of their life-- as you say, like careers, raising children, marriages, getting degrees. So why can't they keep sober?

You have perhaps read, or heard about, Dr. Olivier Ameisen's book "The End of My Addiction". Somewhere in the book, he mentions different kinds of alcoholism. One of them, the same affliction as he himself suffered, matches mine perfectly. It is late-onset, self-medicating for anxiety and related underlying causes. He also mentions other kinds of alcohol addiction. Some of them start earlier in life and are instigated by different physical and inner cravings/motivations.

His experience as an alcoholic and a medical doctor led him, after many years of misery and anguish, to conclude that at least some forms of alcoholism are neurologically and genetically based. This is not a cop-out. This is a conclusion many other medical doctors have also come to.

This model may not apply to you. Perhaps your alcohol problems originate somewhere other than in your neurology or your genes, or whatever else lies outside of our current understanding of the mind and body. For those with alcohol problems similar to yours, the advice you give is probably excellent.

It seems that you were able to "cure" yourself with willpower, and therefore you assume everyone else can. I suppose many people are able to cure themselves with willpower, but I also know that there are many, including myself, that have exerted willpower in every aspect of their life, and cannot do so eonough in regard to alcohol. This group of people suffer from a true disease that simply cannot be cured by willpower alone.

I hope you read the book by Dr. Amiesen. You will then understand better what I am trying to communicate.
                      l
                      The approach that insinuates, or directly indicates, that people with alcohol problems lack willpower, is exactly what has made many alcoholics feel extreme guilt and hopelessness regarding their disease.

Willpower is a good thing. But it may not be enough.

There is hope for everyone who wants to become well, and willpower is not necessarily the only answer.
                      Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Hi WIP.

I don't actually know you but I'd just like to congratulate you on a wonderful post and a great effort of being sober for nearly a year. I totally agree with everything you stated in your post. Our minds and thoughts play a very big part in whether we continue to harm or nurture ourselves.

Keep going strong.

Brett.
                        Alcohol Free Since July 1 2009.

My Sobriety Blog
                        (From Then Till Now).

Comment

Hey, Brett, thanks for the note, and keep up the great work!

Beatle, you and I will always disagree on many of these points. Of course all alcohol problems, all behavioral problems, all compulsive behaviors and addictions have neurological aspects. "Neurology" just refers to our nervous systems, and our genetic make-up plays a role in our our particular nervous systems are set up. So does our behavior, and so does our thinking (which, by the way, is something that can be controlled), and so does our emotion regulation. There are numerous reciprocal feedback relationships among our cognitive, emotional, impulse regulation, and behavioral systems, all of which are regulated by and have an impact on our neurotransmitters and the connections among and between various parts of our brains (i.e., our "neurology").

So long as you think that you are "self-medicating" with alcohol, you are going to have a really hard time giving it up... unless you believe you have a new and better kind of "medicine." The problem is that none of these new and better medications have very good track records for long-term abstinence. And the "long haul" is what I am interested in.

All that being said, simple, gritted-teeth "willpower" was never enough for me. I had to apply my willpower to my thinking AND to my environment, which included getting support from others, early in my progress; I had to manage my environment (making careful choices about who to hang around with, where to socialize, and other important aspects of my life) and make good choices about food, exercise, meditation practice, i.e., an entire program that I constructed for myself. It did not involve medication, but that does not mean that others might not benefit from medication. So far, the evidence is not terribly encouraging about how much those various new drugs will help people. But if they are in fact helpful, that is great. Time will tell, on that issue.

I do hope that whatever route you are using now is genuinely helpful to you.

Comment

Hello, to WIP, Beatle, and all. I have always found all your posts interesting. This is a damned miserable and complicated problem we struggle with and I pray that I will find 'my way out' as others have. Thank you all for always inspiring me and if we all agreed, i would not be here
                            :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

Comment

WIP, I'm very glad to hear you are doing well and that the house in Florida is coming along. Sound like you have had a very productive year.

Comment

Working...
                              X