fears ... OmG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fears ... OmG

I was going to post this in the thread about the "Intervention" show. Then I saw the ending. Does anyone else have this horrible fear???? This is my fear that tortures me night and day. That I will finally get sober, as I think I may be getting close to doing, and quickly learn I am terminally ill from the hell I 've put my body through. Tonight"s "intervention" showed an alcoholic, Bret, who after finally submitting to treatment, found he had esophegal cancer and died three weeks later.
    This is crazy I know, but I am curious if there are others with this fear. I fear I have destroyed my body and that I will get my life back, only to die (punishment for abusing my body?) .
    I am sorry to be melodramatic. I just felt there might be others with these feelings. just scared
    :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

fears ... OmG

Hi dexterhead
    Sorry I cant help you with the feeling scared part. But I do believe that our life is already mapped out for us. And any good that we can do to our bodies is a bonus.......
    Just think of life as a good thing and try not to worry about being ill, if you worry to much about it, you could become ill through all the worry you have put yourself through.
    So just enjoy life........
    Sorry I cant be much help to you
    Love Ronnie xx
    :dancin: enguin:
    starting over

Comment

fears ... OmG

dexterhead;663703 wrote: I was going to post this in the thread about the "Intervention" show. Then I saw the ending. Does anyone else have this horrible fear???? This is my fear that tortures me night and day. That I will finally get sober, as I think I may be getting close to doing, and quickly learn I am terminally ill from the hell I 've put my body through. Tonight"s "intervention" showed an alcoholic, Bret, who after finally submitting to treatment, found he had esophegal cancer and died three weeks later.
      This is crazy I know, but I am curious if there are others with this fear. I fear I have destroyed my body and that I will get my life back, only to die (punishment for abusing my body?) .
      I am sorry to be melodramatic. I just felt there might be others with these feelings. just scared
      Not crazy at all. I think about this all the time. However, more people get sober and don't die soon than those who get sober and do die soon, right? But I can completely relate to your fears as I share them too. Considering I am both a smoker/drinker, I think about esophogeal (sp) cancer all the time, which I know is very bad, but I can't help it. I'd really appreciate hearing any and all suggestions as to how to deal with these fears.
      ^ My Baby Ruby ^

Comment

fears ... OmG

I think that people know when it is their time. Maybe not the exact minute but generally. I think Brett knew his time was coming to an end and he wanted to give his kids a gift as his legacy. Ok that may soumd crazy but...........everything happens for a reason. And that I truly believe.

Comment

fears ... OmG

time2change;663720 wrote: I think that people know when it is their time. Maybe not the exact minute but generally. I think Brett knew his time was coming to an end and he wanted to give his kids a gift as his legacy. Ok that may soumd crazy but...........everything happens for a reason. And that I truly believe.
          Yikes, does this mean that a person who has these fears means their time is coming to an end, or does pretty much everyone go through this when they sober up? And I hate to admit this, but these fears make me want to drink. Eek!

Curious, how old was Brett?
          ^ My Baby Ruby ^

Comment

fears ... OmG

No I do not think people who have fears are coming to their end. What I was saying was that people can sense where their life is heading. I also do not think that fear should make you want to drink.
            I guess this is the reason I am relunctant to post.
            Just make a plan and commit to being sober. It will be a great gift to yourself!

Comment

fears ... OmG

Dexter, I certainly have the same fears, and I suspect most of the others here do also.

But I do think Ronnie is on to something: "if you worry too much about it, you could become ill through all the worry...". ( I think this is actually a medical fact.)

So maybe you should try to stop worrying about what "might" happen, and focus on getting well.
              Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

fears ... OmG

thank you my dear friends!
                :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

Comment

fears ... OmG

Dex, just happened to catch your post tonight, and as it happens, one of my closest friends had this very thing happen to him; someone I worked side-by-side with for 12 years. However, when he found his cancer was terminal, he shot himself, and those of us who loved him still grieve. We can't base doing the right thing in our life on the 'what if's' that could happen to us. The bad things could happen, and do, to people who have never corrupted their lives and bodies. We simply have to try to do the best, and live the best, each day we have, since we aren't promised even tomorrow.
                  sigpic
                  Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
                  awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

fears ... OmG

yup

hey dexter, i feel the same fears as you.. everday day has been a struggle. right now i dont have a job so its much harder even. but when i had a job, all day id think of alcohol and how id leave at six and probably drinker after. i am living at the moment in a constant fear. so i began baclofen and hope and pray it works. at least to cut my drinking and cravings down... im with ya buddy..

Comment

fears ... OmG

You're not weird, Dexter (at least, not in this respect, heehee)! I have similar worries sometimes, but partly because I drank for so long that I expect my body to suddenly become a perfect "temple" after a few AF months. Now, when an odd symptom pops up or I have a lethargic day, I can't chalk it up to the ol' "indulged too much in AL last night" culprit anymore. So, I start to wonder if it's something more sinister. But, after about 30 secs of this train of thought, I'm over it, and on to worry about something else.

Here's wishing you good health!
                      "If you fell down yesterday, get up today." -- H.G. Wells

Comment

fears ... OmG

Dex, i saw the intervention show and found myself bawling by the end. so sad. you know someone said in a meeting recently "you dont hear of alcoholics dying surrounded by friends and family....we die alone" his 3 weeks of sobriety left his family with a little respect of him and hopefully they were around him

Comment

fears ... OmG

DEX, I agree with Beatle. I think alot of us had or have those worries. I sure did.
                          I just believe that when you put your focus on ANYTHING it GROWS BIGGER !!!
                          It is always a benefit to ME if I visualize the best possible out come... Believe and it can be so ???
                          sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

fears ... OmG

Hi Dexter,
                            I don't watch TV so I didn't watch the show but I get the gist.
                            I have never been scared of death. To me it's just a part a of existing that we all go through. Of course I don't want any pain but sometimes we don't have a choice.
                            I have wasted a lot of my life, but I have had great times. I've met some wonderful people and done some amzing things, then again, I've met some insufferable people and done some really stupid things. I'm 47 and I may have a long time left, or I may not, but I'm damned sure I'll not be spending it pouring vodka down my neck and feeling sorry for myself. I'm in the process of starting to enjoy my life again and I want to keep doing so until I die, hopefully a very old and contented person, but if not, then a younger, but still contented person.

Comment

fears ... OmG

I think we all fear that when things are going so good for yourself,that there is something waiting around the corner that will pop up and burst your bubble

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                              I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Working...
                              X