Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you do with all your drinking friends?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello board, most of my good 20 yrs+ friends are heavy drinkers. We go way back in childhood and when we get together, we celebrate by drinking alcohol. I don't know how they will take my new self. I quit drinking for the first time in my life after 20 years of heavy drinking. That was five days ago. Being from France, drinking is part of the culture, our heritage, and it is a socially bounding ritual. My quick and simple answer is that they'll have to get used to it and after the initial "what the hell is wrong with you man!!??", they'll accept it and move on. Anyway, I would appreciate your thoughts on the manner, thank you so much.

Hi there ... I don't have any drinking friends (it was just me and AL - sad as that sounds) ... and I'm sure others will be along with what works for them, etc.

I just wanted to say that you don't have to tell them that you're fighting an addiction, alcoholism, etc. You can, but you don't have to ..... You can use any "excuse" you want to - and they'll get used to it ... maybe your doctor told you to adopt a healthier lifestyle, which includes giving up booze ... maybe you're taking medication of some sort and can't mix it with alcohol ... OR

... you can always "fake" having a drink (just have a pop, or carry around a glass of wine and pretend to sip from it) ... You have to do whatever works for you.

Chances are .. after they get a few drinks in them, they won't really notice ... Plus, it will be fun to watch how they change as they get buzzed .. LOL.
    AF for two years. Slight relapse. Working on it at the moment.

Comment

Cat's right, Key. I tell people whatever I choose to, or not. Some people don't need to know as much as others. I usually just tell them I'm on meds, which is true. That's it. Then it IS fun, to a point, to watch them. As always, if they TRULY are your friends, they will respect you. Some people, however, have to make total life style changes, or it just doesn't work. Always have a plan ready when you know there will be AL. Be prepared, because that line 'Just one won't hurt you' has destroyed many hard fought newly sober goals. Good luck!
      sigpic
      Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
      awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Hi Key
        I am just telling my friends that I dont enjoy drinking anymore and that I feel so much better without it as it seemed to be making me ill and they have all eccepted that. In fact alot of my friends are now saying that they should cut down on thier drink, which I find quite funny.
        :dancin: enguin:
        starting over

Comment

Ronnie is quite right. Some people will be uncomfortable with you not drinking becasue they have to examine their own. Look at it from a different perspecive - you may become a role model for others. I would not be surprised if you get a call asking - how did you stop drinking? - from your drinking friends.
          "If I lost confidence in myself, I have the Universe against me"
          Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

I worry about that all the time. My husband said, come on, the way you drink, do you think anyone will be surprised?? I wasn't too happy with that response but it is probably true! I just say that AL was making me feel ill and I am giving it up for a while. When I just say a while instead of telling the whole story, that seems to work. Then I can say that I liked it so well, that I decided to stay stopped! So far it is working.

Comment

We don't OWE anyone an explanation for why we decided not poisen ourselves anymore, but we feel compelled to give it! Whats wrong with this picture?? LOL It becomes a non-issue very quickly.
              sigpic
              awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Hi Keyners,

I just joined today and was surprised to read your comment on the French. I'm american and I actually live in France and have the same problem. Alcohol is such a part of life here. If you don't try the local "whatever" your being impolite, uneducated. It's hard to navigate in that context. What's up with that?

Anyway, lots of encouragement from me to you. Don't "craque" for your friends. Stick to your guns.
                MLC

Comment

Welcome, MLC!!
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X