Pretty Down Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pretty Down Today

It's not only the drinking, but the fact that I'm unemployed and the future for employment looks bleak. Running out of money, no employment prospects, and am actually looking at purchasing a tent and survival supplies because the house will be repossessed before too long. Bills piling up left and right with nowhere to turn. Gotta live somewhere right? A tent is better than living on the street.
    I've been walking, a long and crooked path. Come my restoration, wash my body clean...

Pretty Down Today

sounds like your having a pretty crap time of it so sad, im sorry hun. Whens the last time you worked?

Comment

Pretty Down Today

limers;664686 wrote: sounds like your having a pretty crap time of it so sad, im sorry hun. Whens the last time you worked?
      Late November of last year. We've just completely run out of money. I'm fairly suspicious that age discrimination is one of the reasons I cannot find work. Too many young writers out there willing to work for scraps. I'd work for scraps as well but they don't want an aging writer over some young buck apparently.
      I've been walking, a long and crooked path. Come my restoration, wash my body clean...

Comment

Pretty Down Today

To top it off, since I was an independent consultant, I have never received unemployment; can't get it when you work that way.

Comment

Pretty Down Today

well thats pretty shit, I dont really know what to say to you but just keep lashing out the resumes and focus on whats good, you are sober right now, yes? You still have the roof over your head for now and pray....something will come up, hasnt it always?

Comment

Pretty Down Today

We have a house full of stuff, and I'll give it all away before I'll let the damn bank take it all. If and when I leave I'm going to put a sign up in the front yard and let everyone know it's a free for all. Better the common folk get it than the bank. The house may be theirs for the taking, but the stuff inside is all ours.

Comment

Pretty Down Today

limers;664693 wrote: well thats pretty shit, I dont really know what to say to you but just keep lashing out the resumes and focus on whats good, you are sober right now, yes? You still have the roof over your head for now and pray....something will come up, hasnt it always?
              So far fate has always seemed to come through for me, but this time I have my doubts.

And no, I'm not sober limers.

Comment

Pretty Down Today

well then you found here so hopefully you will be soon.

Comment

Pretty Down Today

does your husband work then?

Comment

Pretty Down Today

im going to hve to go and study now but I will catch you again , good luck my friend.

Comment

Pretty Down Today

I'm so sorry to hear about what you are going thru. Please try to hang in there. Sometimes when you just keep plugging away, you finally break through.
                      "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
                      AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Pretty Down Today

Limer. Thank you. I'm a man and my wife doesn't work; it's a complicated situation.

NoraC. Thank you as well. I'll always keep plugging away. No choice but to do so right?

I'm not a quitter but I am just exhausted as of late. I have nobody to hold responsible but myself really. My drinking has brought most of this on and I want to kick myself in the ass for letting it go this far. In fact, I'm kicking myself as "I speak."

Comment

Pretty Down Today

Hey there. Have you talked to your bank, or to a debt counsellor? We've had some hard times in the past and, as a last resort, I picked up the phone and called my bank, thinking they'd say, "there's nothing we can do.. you're too far gone.. sorry" .... BUT, to my surprise, they helped me get a plan together.

And if you really are too far gone to be bank-worthy at this time, a debt counsellor may be able to take the edge off for you.

Have you tried employment agencies as well? Or considered other types of work? A pay cheque is a pay cheque, no matter where it comes from. I, too, write ... but I can't imagine living off of it. I don't make much and need another job (actually I have two, but they're rolled into one).

((hugs)) .... Don't panic, OK? Instead, sit down and try to make a plan .. maybe starting with a few phone calls. Don't let the drink take you away from what's important. Be strong. You'll get through this.
                          AF for two years. Slight relapse. Working on it at the moment.

Comment

Pretty Down Today

Sosad, I am so sorry. I know how bleak things look, but I am hoping they turn around. I worry that my age is an issue too and I am unemployed too. I went to an employment agency and they are only getting two to three jobs in a week. That office used to be hopping with employees, but it looked like they've gotten rid of most of them. Is there a way you can work out something with the bank regarding your house? Friends/family you can stay with until you get back on your feet?

I'm currently volunteering just to have something on the resume, plus I find it rewarding. I pick up a second volunteer job soon where I'll get experience teaching. I dunno if this could be an idea for you? I am thinking that maybe there are places out there that would appreciate your writing skills and maybe it could open doors to opportunities?

BTW, any chance you could have a garage sale rather than just give your stuff away? That would bring in some extra cash.
                            ^ My Baby Ruby ^

Comment

Pretty Down Today

I've even applied for jobs at the local grocery store. You are right; a check is a check. I'm not to proud too stock shelves in the store or do any type of manual labor. I was raised on a farm in Oklahoma and my Father worked like a slave in the fields with me along side.

The bank has been pretty forgiving up to this point, but I feel their patience is wearing thin. To be honest, I don't blame them. I OWE them a debt and I was always raised to pay my debts.

The deck just seems to be stacked against me lately, but again, it is my own fault. The drinking has to stop, and soon.

I appreciate all of the advice that I get on this board. ((Hugs)) to you as well 42cat.

Comment

Working...
                              X