stressed about family coming in town...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i got a call from my mother last night...her and my aunt are coming in town for a week. when my mother arrives she always has a case in hand and bottle of crown under her arm and with my aunt being in tow, it will be double the pleasure. my mother was a single parent and always been a heavy drinker. when she comes around i usually have 2 choices, drink with her to be able to hang or be sober, be mute and go inside myself where my emotions are safe.
    I must suppress the beast within so I can find my way out of the darkness.
    sober since 2/4/12

Tough situation. Obviously the "be sober" is the right choice. The problem then is what to do with yourself while they drink?

Do you have kids? If so, would asking them to not drink around the kids be an option? .... Or maybe you can get away from them whenever they start into the booze ... go shopping ... go to bed ... bake something ... busy yourself somehow ... or ask them to join you for a shopping trip out, a movie, or another outing of some sort.

You always have the option of telling them that you're trying to quit drinking and would appreciate them not bringing alcohol into the house -- it's YOUR house, afterall.

I'm just thinking quickly off the top of my head.

((hugs)) I wish I could relate .. I know my "ideas" probably aren't the best ... Just wanted you to give you some ((huggy)) support. Be strong!
    AF for two years. Slight relapse. Working on it at the moment.

Comment

42 cat i guess i will just have to busy myself...sadly my mother would laugh in my face then cry that i hurt her feelings if i told he she couldn't drink here. i do have small children and i don't like them seeing her (or me for that matter) like that. all she does is sit on the back porch and smoke cigs the whole time she is here. my kids want to be with her so they are out there as well ansd i just get so mad. i do voice my thoughts on that matter but i have my whole life to her so she is numb to it now. my mother is very very strong headed, does no wrong and takes no responsibility for her actions. i do plan on studying a lot while she is here and have a couple of previous engagements that we must attend....never thought i'd be so thrilled to have to go to a 5 year olds birthday party......
      I must suppress the beast within so I can find my way out of the darkness.
      sober since 2/4/12

Comment

Star, forgive me for saying this but your Mom really does sound rather inconsiderate to your feelings as well as those of her grandkids.
        Good for you for making sure you have other plans to get you out of the house.
        Can you not tell your Mom that you are on antibiotics and therefore can't drink??
        "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Star, my daughter actually banned me from being around her kids when I drank. Period. It hurt like hell, made me mad as a hatter, but I finally realized she was doing the same thing I would have done. It's REALLY hard, and I'm not about to tell you what to do, but hang in there, and remember you and your sobriety are as important as her feelings, too.
          sigpic
          Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
          awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Hi Starfairy,
            Sounds a little like my mum. Do you remember how you felt when you were little and your mum was drunk? I do and I dont want that for my kids. I'm sure you dont either, keep busy with your kids. I'm thinking of you.
            Pyes :l

Comment

Starfairy, I echo what the others have said. Best to keep busy with the kids and maybe keep the kids busy so they aren't around your mom constantly. You're in a tough situation and I do wish you the best!
              ^ My Baby Ruby ^

Comment

Working...
              X