Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nora's journey

NoraC;1176691 wrote: Thanks friends!
    I really didn't feel well yesterday morning. Heavy chest. Hard to explain. But, I ate some breakfast and had a long nap. Woke up feeling well. Had no interest in drinking (even the thought of sort of made me gag). But, I felt it was important to get the pill in my system so I could get over the side effects. I took another half pill. Still no interest in drinking but a few hours later I did have half a glass of champagne. There is beer in my fridge and an unopen bottle of champagne. Never wanted it. Ok - to me that is amazing. Even if I have a hangover, I want more. So, I am really being optimistic about this. I have to emphasize that I KNOW this is not a magic pill. But, to not have the 'cravings' going on is absolutely amazing. This is probably a 'honeymoon' period but I am going to take it and keep working my plan. Like I said, the antabuse was great to get me some AF months but in the back of my mind, I knew I could stop the pill and drink.
    Well - back to work but I wanted to make an update. Brought a pill with me today that I will take before I leave work if I think I might drink. At this point in time, still no interest. Wouldn't that be nice if I stop thinking about it. :h

Nora,
    It is indescribeable when you go from having alcohol as your constant thought during every waking moment to NEVER
    thinking about it! You sound you are doing really well - congrats!

Comment

Nora's journey

Keep it up Nora! Thinking of ya!
      ?I thought I'd begin by reading a sonnet by Shakespeare, but then I thought, why should I? He never reads any of mine.?

Comment

Nora's journey

Nora, you sound fantastic...I will eagerly await your updates! :l

Comment

Nora's journey

9-12-11 con't

I'm back..........
          Thank you all my friends for the encouragement. :l (Fennel, will e-mail you tomorrow :h)

I went ahead and took another 1/2 pill about 3:30 today. Didn't plan on drinking but decided to keep it up for another day to get over the side effects. I had about 2-3 glasses of champagne tonight. That was actually more than enough. Totally unheard of! If that bottle is open, then I'm going to finish it. So, this drug is having some kind of impact on me.
          Today I was wondering if maybe the whole not having alcohol on my brain is because I know that I can drink without upsetting Scott. Because he knows that I am taking this pill and am drinking to retrain my brain. But, I really don't think that is what it is. I just don't seem to want it like I normally do. It's just very encouraging for me.
          Oh well - enough rambling. Goodness knows that I've tried many things and been optimistic and then had relapses. But, I do feel good about this. I am really hoping that this is it!!
          "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
          AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Nora's journey

You can do it miss N!!!
            ?I thought I'd begin by reading a sonnet by Shakespeare, but then I thought, why should I? He never reads any of mine.?

Comment

Nora's journey

Whatever it is, nora, I'm so happy for you. Keep it up!!
              sigpic
              Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
              awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Nora's journey

Nora just checking in...how you doing?

Comment

Nora's journey

Nora...what are you taking??
                  I love my family more than alcohol.:h
                  Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Nora's journey

4-9-12

Well - looking back on here, I see a lot of repeat thoughts & behaviors. Geez - you would think I would get this down.

I didn't do well with the Naltrexone but I'm back on the Antabuse. Had an AF February - did some drinking in March. So, started the AB at the end of March.

I have been reading on this forum a lot lately. I've come across some great posts that I want to remember so that's why I blew the dust off this old journal. I want to put the links in here.

Won't it be nice when I can look back here and not see myself repeating the same old thing over & over???

Nicelife - Why I Relapsed After 6 Years Sober
                    Such an insightful post. Really worth reading over & over & over.
                    AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Nora's journey

Nora...I want to share you journal with you so post away, babe
                      I love my family more than alcohol.:h
                      Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Nora's journey

4-11-12

Frustrated today. I can not believe how hard it is to get treated for a 'chemical dependency'. I am taking antabuse right now.....prescribed by my regular Dr. She doesn't know anything about it, so she can't give me advise or proper treatment (length of time to take it, dosage, etc). I have tried in the past to get in to a psychiatrist to discuss meds but haven't had any luck getting in to one that can treat addiction.
                        Today, once again, I gave it a try. I called my insurance company. Transferred me to the behavioral health division. Got hung up on. Called again. Reached a human. Was asked if I was going to hurt myself. No. Asked if this was for chemical dependency. I said yes. She read me my coverage information. I am not covered for chemical dependency. I said ok then, how about seeing a psychiatrist for depression. She said that I am allowed 4 visits to a psychiatrist to determine if I have a severe mental health disorder. I am already seeing a therapist so she was able to look up some information and tell me that YES - I am diagnosed with SEVERE mental health disorder. Great! Just what I want on my medical record.:upset:
                        So, she told me that I could call and get an appointment and I didn't even have to wait for a referral. I tried to get an appointment with someone that is in the same office as the therapist that I see. But, no luck - that Dr is leaving the group and I don't want to see the other one. I have been trying to find someone that is familiar with meds. I just want to know dosage information, if I can take Naltrexone or Baclofen or Campral with the Antabuse. I just want to talk to someone that is familiar with the meds. AARRRGGGHHH
                        You would think that the insurance company would be happy to let you see someone to help with your addiction so that they won't pay for other health issues down the road.
                        Frustrating red tape crap!!!
                        AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Nora's journey

NoraC;1295528 wrote:
                          You would think that the insurance company would be happy to let you see someone to help with your addiction so that they won't pay for other health issues down the road.
                          You'd think, wouldn't you? Just like you'd think it would be a good thing to get mental health services when you need them, without it being a big, black mark on your permanent record that follows you around for the rest of your life, etc., and makes you uninsurable later in life. It's like you're rewarded if you never go to the doctor and drop dead when you're 55 years old.

Comment

Nora's journey

Coverage

Today, once again, I gave it a try. I called my insurance company. Transferred me to the behavioral health division. Got hung up on. Called again. Reached a human. Was asked if I was going to hurt myself. No. Asked if this was for chemical dependency. I said yes. She read me my coverage information. I am not covered for chemical dependency. I said ok then, how about seeing a psychiatrist for depression. She said that I am allowed 4 visits to a psychiatrist to determine if I have a severe mental health disorder. I am already seeing a therapist so she was able to look up some information and tell me that YES - I am diagnosed with SEVERE mental health disorder. Great! Just what I want on my medical record.
                            I just want to talk to someone that is familiar with the meds. AARRRGGGHHH
                            Nora,

Insurance companies are not your friends. Their business model is based on denying coverage whenever possible as it increases their bottom line.

There are some new laws that might help. Try Googling "Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act". SAMHSA has a good website with a lot of info.

I went through similar frustrations trying to get help for a family member and encountered similar issues. When I started quoting chapter and verse on these laws they changed their tune. In fact my large employer has an onsite full-time liaison for our group health insurer and she was not aware of these new laws and told me she was advising employees that they were limited to 30 days residential treatment when that limitation is in violation of the law. We got that squared away.

If an insurer does not offer ANY substance abuse coverage but they DO offer mental health coverage, then the doc would have to "code" the diagnosis as mental health, not substance abuse, but if they're savvy, they can figure it out.

Its a sad state of affairs, but to get help its often necessary to advocate strongly with the insurance companies in addition to advocating with/educating your docs. At least that was my experience.

Best wishes,
                            Ag

Comment

Nora's journey

Fen - I just needed to vent.

Ag - thanks for the info. I'm going to check it out. I think if I can just find a psych with that type of experience then they will be able to get it thru the insurance company. The problem I'm having is finding a psych that has that education/experience and will work with me on the meds. I saw one almost 2 years ago and he would have worked with me but he left the medical group. So, I saw another one and his attitude was that it wasn't his specialty and wouldn't prescribe anything. So, I just need to find an open minded Dr that will work with me about this. It's just frustrating that they make it so hard.
                              AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Nora's journey

4-12-12

I researched & researched. I finally found a Psychiatrist that I can see and she specializes in addiction!!!! I'll see her based on my 'depression' but I'll be able to discuss the other with her. I so hope that this is going to be a positive thing. My first appointment is next Thursday. Sort of nervous.
                                AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Working...
                                X