Are meetings important? Which one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello dear board. I was told that meetings are very important. I have heard negative things from AA, neutral things from Celebrate Recovery. My questions are the following: how critical is attending meetings, which one you recommend and why, and how would you describe your experience? Thank you.

Key, i think meetings are very important. I like most meetings. I am not a big fan of all womens meetings. I know alot of people like same sex meetings but i dont find them as productive for me. Ive been to step meetings and to 11th step meetings (i have a favorite one on sunday mornings). My experience is try many and stay with the ones that make you feel comfortable.

AA is complex. Most of the true AAers dont believe in the kind of support that you get through MWO. They also dont believe in taking medication. They count days which i hate. i believe any day you can get AF is a good day.

What i get out of the meetings are connections with other human beings fighting the same battes (face to face), hugs, socializing, you hear the pain in people's voices and you see people facing great challenges and you see some people succeed and some fail. Both are learning opportunities. Mostly i dont want what the folks in AA have (there are alot of folks who are sober but havent fixed anything else wrong with them. Then again i have found so many folks who are happy in their recovery and have found true wellness through self exploration.

Sorry so long winded. One last thing they say "take what you like and leave the rest"..that's what i do

Comment

i think cacky is right find out what works for you,they all help just some a lot more than others:goodjob:

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
      I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

keyners;666541 wrote: Hello dear board. I was told that meetings are very important. I have heard negative things from AA, neutral things from Celebrate Recovery. My questions are the following: how critical is attending meetings, which one you recommend and why, and how would you describe your experience? Thank you.
        never go by what you hear, try it out first. all walks of life attend meetings. i've attended a many and now have many friends. the best i could ever have.

An Improved Ripple. :monalisa:

Comment

Dear Keyners,
          I have tried AA and came away feeling much worse. I felt that many were judgemental and self-righteous. Because I went there daily from my work I was usually dressed quite well. They criticized me because they said that I was trying to come off as better than they are (if you knew me, Keyners, there is nothing farther from the truth.....with my self-esteem in the gutter (when on AL) EVERYONE was BETTER THAN ME in my eyes!) I was basically told to keep my mouth shut and learn from them. I can't really put my finger on it but I think Cacky said it best when she said that they have stopped drinking but have not tried to fix anything else that is wrong with them.

I am sure that there are wonderful recovery meetings available that would help you so much. As Cacky said, the face to face contact, the hugs, having someone in the same town to lean on; all of this would certainly make it worthwhile to find somewhere that you feel comfortable. I, personally, am getting more out of this website and the friends I have made in the July 1 thread (you are welcome to join us) than I ever thought possible. When I feel tempted or down I come here to get a lift. I feel so blessed to have found this site.

I wish you well. Perhaps you can find some meetings by googling for your area or calling area churches. In the meantime we are always here for you.

Comment

Keyners,

I go to AA whenever I can. I always walk away with a bit of inspiration and learning from those who have managed to stay sober for years. I have never been treated like I was not part of the group, no matter how I was dressed. Sheesh.

Others have had a bad experience.

I suggest you find an AA meeting and try it. Then you can decide for yourself.

Celebrate Recovery follows the AA 12-steps but it is church based and the Higher Power is definitely God and Christ. If you are a Christian, it might be a good fit, too.

There is also Women for Sobriety, Rational Recovery (non-12 Step but none in my area) and others. You might want to Google and see what you find, read about it and try what is available in your area.

I do think face-to-face adds a component that I enjoy. But, like I said, I have almost always had a positive experience at AA meetings. Not the dismal experiences others have had.

hth,
            Cindi
            AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Cindi, im with you. while there are people at AA meetings i dont like...i have never not been treated with respect at these meetings.

Comment

Does anything i say matter? i have been a few years to AA, its up to the person to go or not! Depending on how serious one is about sobriety, you use ALL options. Focus on it, thats what meetings are for. you learn so much from others and see how they cope. All grades of people go, you be surprised who is there.

An Improved Ripple. :monalisa:

Comment

Working...
                X