Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and Alcohol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found this site recently, if anyone is interested.

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) - Trauma syndrome information & help - Anxiety Treatment Australia
    If your 8 year old self met you, would they be proud?
    Rejoined life 20/5/19

Good idea posting this link, Bridget. And i hope this opens up some discussion here, or at least get's people thinking. Amongst other things, it is the 'self medicating' aspect of this, that concerns me.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Thank you, BBBJ!

This awareness is very important! My drinking became much worse after we lost our home and our belongings to a fire in June of 2007. Other than the death of a loved one, it is the most traumatic thing I have ever experienced in my life. I suffered with symptoms of PTSD following, for quite some time. Those of us who have a problem with alcohol are particularly vulnerable, in these situations as our attempts to self medicate increase. Soon, our problem can be even more out of control than ever before. Be aware and seek professional help. Take care, Best
      "It wasn't all I wanted, but all I could stand!":bigwink: Alcohol free since April 8, 2008

Comment

It's an insidious thing, PTSD.
        We still have very limited understanding, I think.
        There are aspects of the 'syndrome' that I still can't find documented anywhere.
        This site is very general, but if I find better, I'll add to this thread.
        Bridge.
        If your 8 year old self met you, would they be proud?
        Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

bump

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Its not only insidious, its embarrassing and sometimes not believed by our family members. It triggers MANY different mental and physical problems, in men and women. Its no stretch to believe AL can be one of them.
            sigpic
            Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
            awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

A link from the Vietnam Veterans Association of Australia:

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

Comment

exoskeleton.
                An Improved Ripple. :monalisa:

Comment

I live in a country, where unfortunately crime has become a national epidemic. We also have horrendous rates of alcohol abuse.

The role of PTSD cannot be under estimated. We are all to aware of it here. Self medication is such a problem. It is essential that people seek appropriate treatment following trauma.

We have started to set up systems at our major police officers to assist victims of crime. My concern however, centre on the victims of domestic abuse. The insidious impact of chronic PTSD on these victims is even more destructive.

Comment

Working...
                  X