AA-Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AA-Advice

I've got my first AA meeting on Sunday. Its something i've always avoided like the plague in the past. Its proberly the not knowing. The other thing that was putting me off was the connection to religion. I have nothing against religion or religious people but i only go to church for weddings funerals etc. Do all meetings have an element of religion or just some?

I have looked at the official website but found it quite confusing ie the 12 steps and sponsers.

I am willing to give AA a good chance as something in my armoury to stay sober. Just a little confused as to what to expect.

Any help or advice would be great..

Macks:l
    I don't care who you are...Your not walking on water while i'm fishing..
    One drink is too many... A thousand is never enough...Sober since July 2nd 2009

AA-Advice

Hi Macks.
    I dont go to AA myself, but there is a weekly AA thread in Monthly Abstinence forum that is very good and full of info. Check it out.
    Good luck. I am sure you have no need to worry.
    Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
    Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

AA-Advice

Hi Macks sorry don't have any advice ........... put please let us know how you get on as it's something that i'm looking into.

Take care, BB xx
      sigpicXXX

Comment

AA-Advice

Hi Mack: I would suggest that you get a copy of the Big Book and read through it. If it resonates and you can come to terms with some of the language, then you should have no problem at meetings. Myself, I lean Buddhist, so my idea of a "Higher Power" certainly doesn't match that of most of the people I listen to at meetings. The important part for me is that it is a place that understands the condition of alcoholism. That alone was a huge education for me that I needed and that probably saved my life. I went for a year when I first got sober. I recently relapsed and am going to meetings again, along with checking out other tools for helping me remember that if I drink, I die. I have to do something every day to stay sober, and sometime meetings are the easiest option. That just the kind of drinker I am.
        "Wherever you are is the entry point." --Kabir

Comment

AA-Advice

AA

Macks,
          All the meetings have the element of a higher power. My higher power would be God, yes. Yours, may be something else. What AA is promoting is that you can not beat this addiction alone. You turn it over to your higher power to see you through. You have a sponsor to guide you through the 12 steps. A good sponsor will really benefit you. DO NOT go in to a meeting and grab the first guy you see to be a sponsor. Take your time. This man should mentor you through the process. Go with an open mind...it isnt for everyone. I don't praticularily like all the aspects off AA....I myself can take what I like and leave the rest there. Some people cant do that. Also, PLEASE keep in mind....if you dont like the meeting...try another one. There are many...each group of people is different. The first meeting I went to I LOVED the people but they all smoked inside the meeting and it about killed me. I don't smoke...so I had to find another one. Next meeting...I did not care for, it was small and I didnt care for half the people there...so I found another one. Kinda like dating...you didnt marry the first girl you liked did you? :H:H
          Forever loved, forever missed Papa Bear

Comment

AA-Advice

Macks,

Go with an open mind and an open heart.

You will be amazed when you hear people share that have been sober a long time. It helps so much. You will be amazed when you hear people share that are setting their drink down for the first time.

I do invite you to start reading the AA thread in Monthly Abs.

I go to AA and really get a lot out of it.

I do get put off by the Lord's Prayer at the end of the meeting. Not because I am not a Christian, I am, and I love The Lord's Prayer, but because I wholeheartedly feel that AA is not only for Christians and many stand up and hold hands and recite that prayer just because they don't want to be singled out.

I do love The Serenity Prayer. It has gotten me through some rough times. It takes a while for the meaning of those words to sink in, but when they do, they start to have some real meaning.

Just go with an open mind and an open heart. Unless it is a horrible meeting, you will get something out of it. I always do.

So happy you are home and starting on a lifelong journey to healing.

Love,
            Cindi
            AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Working...
            X