What are we missing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are we missing?

On a cold January morning, at a metro station in Washington DC, a man played six Bach pieces on the violin. It was rush hour, and thousands of people went through the station, most on their way to work.
    • Three minutes passed, and a middle-aged man noticed the musician was playing. The man slowed his pace, stopped for a few seconds, and then hurried on. A minute later, the violinist received his first dollar tip. A woman threw the money in the till a she passed, without stopping. A few minutes later, a young man leaned against the wall to listen, and then looked at his watch and resumed walking.
    • A 3-year-old boy stopped to listen until his mother pulled him along. He stopped again , and when the mother pulled harder, the child walked away with her, while turning his head the entire time so that he could continue looking at the violinist. This action was repeated by several other children. All the parents, without exception, forced their children to move on.In the 45 minutes the musician played, only 6 people stopped to listen for a while. About 20 people gave him money but continued to walk at their normal pace. He collected $32. When he finished playing and silence ensued, no one noticed, no one applauded, nor was there any recognition.
    The violinist was Joshua Bell, one of the greatest musicians in the world. He played one of the most intricate pieces ever written with a violin worth approximately 3.5 million dollars. Two days before playing in the subway, Joshua Bell sold out at a theater in Boston, in which, the seats averaged $100.

This is a true story. Joshua Bell's incognito concert in the metro station was organized by the Washington Post as part of an social experiment about perception, taste, and priorities. The questions it addressed were: (in a commonplace environment at an inappropriate hour) Do we perceive beauty? Do we stop to appreciate it? Do we recognize talent in an unexpected context?

If we don't stop and listen when we run across one of the best musicians in the world playing some of the best music ever written, how many other things might we be missing?

(This was sent to me by a friend, verified on Snopes.com to be true, and then edited because I'm a grammar freak who couldn't post it "as is" and then sleep tonight.)
    "If you fell down yesterday, get up today." -- H.G. Wells

What are we missing?

That's a very powerful story, makes you think doesn't it.
    I love you, I'm sorry, please forgive me, thank you.

Comment

What are we missing?

Thanks for the great post! It really makes you think about all that you miss as you are rushing through your day oblivious to what is going on around you.
      AF/SF - November 23, 2014

Comment

What are we missing?

Awesome ... Wow.

(p.s... I'm a grammar freak too ... LOL)
        AF for two years. Slight relapse. Working on it at the moment.

Comment

What are we missing?

Very interesting. I bet 30 yrs ago prior to cell phone and Blackberry and the urgent pace we now keep, more would have stopped to listen.

Comment

What are we missing?

Very thought provoking............reminds me to stop & smell the roses
            Thanks!
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

What are we missing?

I suppose they are right different enviroments provoke different responses. We go to the theatre and expect to get what we pay for and we are relaxed. We don't expect that in a metro station.

There is a lot of beauty around that we don't appreciate. I've been having a crap time recently (not drinking related) but today I bought some sunflowers, and just seeing them in my home on my windowsill made me smile.

Yes, we should try to stop and listen and I will remember that tomorrow. Good story.

Fx

Comment

What are we missing?

I'm probably the only one honest enough to admit this but.....It's a conflict of interests to "stop and smell the roses" during rush hour on our way to work (it's not the time or the place), we are penalized if we indulge in that, no doubt about it!

I think he would have done better on a Sunday afernoon, LOL!!!!!
                Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
                - George Jackson

Comment

What are we missing?

makes you think alright,What are we missing ?in a rush to get nowhere,busy,busy,busy,Time to slow it down

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                  I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

What are we missing?

I always try to stop and listen to buskers, maybe its because I've been involved in playing and performing myself, but it just seems like the right thing to do. Or maybe its just one of my eccentricities.

Bets
                    xx
                    Proud to be SLIGHTLY SLOVENLY.:wavin:

[/COLOR]

Comment

What are we missing?

Thanks Lilbit for a thought provoking post. I long since felt we dont see half of what is going on around us, but in my case that is still twice as much as I was seeing when wandering around in a half drunken haze most of the time.
                      Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

What are we missing?

KTAB;693903 wrote: I long since felt we dont see half of what is going on around us, but in my case that is still twice as much as I was seeing when wandering around in a half drunken haze most of the time.
                        Great point, Ktab! SO true. I used AL to hide from my problems and boredom, only to find that it formed a barrier between me and ALL of Life, and the what remained in my safe little sphere was beyond dull.

Didn't know you played, Bets! And your *eccentricities* are what make you so wonderful. :l
                        "If you fell down yesterday, get up today." -- H.G. Wells

Comment

What are we missing?

This is a thought provoking post. I can identify with missing most of life while spending all my time either drunk, planning to get drunk, or recovering from being drunk. Part of getting sober for me involved the development of a very busy pace. Maybe it's time to work on balance now, and slow it down a tad.

luCKy - you are not kidding about the cell phone/blackberry/iPod/Twitterdeedee world we live in! I'm old fashioned - my cell phone still stays in my car even though it's no longer attached with a permanent cord. And I know I sound exactly like I used to think my parents sounded. The only difference really between their generation and mine is that I used to roll my eyes when Frank Sinatra played on the old timers radio stations, and now they roll their eyes when Led Zeppelin plays on the old timers radio stations.

DG
                          Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                          Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

What are we missing?

Wow. Yes. What a wonderful story. Thank you , my friend. It will stay with me for a very long time.

Comment

Working...
                            X