Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sample drink diary

Hi Guys
    I know I have been posting a lot lately about habits and rationalizing and the important role this tends to play in drinking etc. I think this is really important. Something that topa cant address. Its something that anyone who has had an "unhealthy relationship" with alcohol has to address. So, I have been working on putting together a sort of drink diary for when a "craving/urge/rationalization" for a drink comes on. The idea is that when this happens, I will take this little diary and write down the answers to the questions. Maybe it will make me think twice before taking that drink. Of course, as my wonderful MWO family (I just created this today), I wanted to share this with you. What do you guys think? As I have said fifty trillion times before, the topa is great for reducing the physical cravings but i thought anything that can help that mental/habit pain in the you-know-what could be helpful. Of course if people want to add to it etc. that woudl also be great. The best thing about these boards is we have a wealth of experience and intelligence to benefit from!
    Love you all
    Jen:l

DIARY
    For when a craving/urge or ?rationalize? for a drink hits:

1) Describe how you are feeling right now.

2) Be honest with yourself, can this truly be described as a craving or as a habit?

3) What are you looking for in a drink?

4) Is drinking relieving you from doing something you would have otherwise had to do?

5) What are some alternative things you can do to achieve what it is you are seeking?

6) List the reasons NOT to drink: List the predictable outcomes of drinking.

General notes for exposing patterns/habits and how to fight back.
    1) Where is the craving/urge most likely to occur?

2) When? (time of day, what day)

3) Who else is there?

4) What are you doing at this time?

5) Are certain thoughts or feelings associated with the occurrence of the craving/urge?

6) Is the occurrence of the craving/urge predictable? Can you tell when (under what circumstances) it will strike (or get worse), when it will leave you alone (ease off)?

7) Is it controllable? What can you do to influence it?

:thumbs:

Note: Problems feel ?universal?, as if they were ?always there?. Find exceptions: they are the clue to ways of fighting back.
    Keeping a diary is in itself a behavior change agent. Sometimes, it is the only action necessary to eliminate a bad habit. It is a source of information allowing you to plan an attack on the distressing problem. And it makes you into an observer, so that you can distance yourself from unwanted emotions
    Over 4 months AF :h

Sample drink diary

It looks terrific Jen! Em

Comment

Sample drink diary

This is really great, Jen. I think if I took the TIME to do this, even a few times, it would be helpful! Just to THINK! Not go straight to the booze! Great idea, Jen. Thanks!

Comment

Sample drink diary

Terrific!

Definitely worth copying, pasting, and printing out to put in a binder to keep track of different cravings!! Good job Jen!! Thanks for your hard work! I'm going to copy it into a Word Document right now!

Hugs,
        Kathy:l

Just did it! I named it my "Craving Work-Through Diary"!
        AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Sample drink diary

Great!

:l Great guys!
          I'm glad you find it useful! I too copied and pasted on to a word document and have brought several copies home to work through. The goal: on nights when I want to drink - even if I know I "shouldnt" - I will make myself first work through this exercise - might help me think twice!
          Will post back to see if it helps - hope you guys will too!
          Hugs
          Jen
          Over 4 months AF :h

Comment

Sample drink diary

cool

Cool, Jen, THANKS!! I just copied and pasted and printed, will take to work and copy and put into a notebook so I can keep it every day. Think this will help me too

Heck, anything that can is greatly appreciated!!:h

Thanks again!!

Love and hugs,

Mary Anne:h

Comment

Working...
            X