• Time
  • Show
Clear All

New York Times Article - Mommy Juice and Me

The Heroine of Cocktail Moms Sobers Up:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/16/fa...pagewanted=all

"Sippy cups are NOT for Chardonnay."

Beverages for thought...
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts.
    AF since May 6, 2010

Interesting piece - thanks Tulipe
    sigpic
    AF since December 22nd 2008
    Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

very interesting , think her book sales might go down tho, but sure shell be saving loads by not drinking.Thanks Tulipe, I enjoyed that.

Comment

I was particulary taken by the, this would be a great place for a bar (the emergency room in a hospital), I have also wanted drink at the most in appropiate times, like when I was going into labour....

Comment

i actually find this really interesting being a mom myself. there is this thing lately about drinking and being a mom ha ha ha. but really a lot of mom's i know are drinking far to much and like me it gets out of control. I think glamorizing drinking isn't so great really.
          no time like the present

Comment

hi tulip,hope your ok,saw your other post and you opting out,we are still here.

Comment

Thank you for this link, Tulipe--really highlights the struggle right in our backyards.

Hi Darkie--I remember you welcomed me when I joined up last week--thanks for your encouragement--I'm in the game on Day 2!
              "Tell me, what do you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

Comment

Hi all,
                yep I know lots of moms whose drinking is out of control. In fact, I know lots of people whose drinking is out of control. But the mommy thing is scary because what if a child gets sick or hurt and you have to call for help. How do you cover up that one, or convince people that the injury had nothing to do with drinking? Luckily this has not happened to me but it was a fear and a motivation for stopping.
                Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts.
                AF since May 6, 2010

Comment

Thanks for posting this Tulipe. So many struggle with alcohol.
                  When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.
                  -- Franklin D Roosevelt --

Comment

Tulipe,

Great article on many levels.

I used to joke and laugh about my drinking, too, back in the days when it was only 3-5 glasses a night. (Only?) It wasn't funny anymore when it was all day everyday and bottles of vodka going down straight.

She is an amazing woman who is willing to lose her career to save the her life and the lives of her family.

Cindi
                    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Thanks Tulipe for the link. I'd never heard of her (probably because I'm relatively media sheltered - too busy working and trying to be a decent mom). I hope she can continue to prosper even with her 180 stance on alcohol. I was intrigued by the phrase in the article "antiperfection mom." I, for one, could use support on being part of that club without alcohol and humor is always a great tool.
                      Drinking has been my hobby for several years now. It's time to get a new hobby

Comment

Working...
                      X