Adverts for Cigarettes Vs Alcohol.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just watching the England V Macedonia Footie match, and on every other advert situated around the pitch, is an advert emblazoned for alcohol.... I have read... Bargain Booze ( an off licence in Uk ), Vodka Kick, Vodka ( something else...) and various other alcohol adverts, but they are shown intermittently inbetween ads for insurance and the such...
    Then WHY are Cigarette adverts Banned from all forums - I'e Formula 1 , any football matches, any sports contests and television commercials, when all we seem to see, is ads for alcohol. They say that they have banned smoking from public places because of the dangers to others through passive smoking.
    What about drink drivers... Bam - Innocent people dead in the blink of an eye...
    Just today driving through town I spotted at leat 5 billboards advertising alcopops such as WKD, Smirnoff Ice etc.
    Surely Alcohol is just as big a killer as tobacco is, ( if not more ) and yet, alcoholism is a disease, and it seems to be promoted, and it is never out of the papers how Britain is becoming a binge drinking society , and will cost the government millions in alcohol related diseases. So Why advertise it? WRONG WRONG WRONG. - It's just double standards.
    I smoke, and it is an addiction, but it not a crutch, or a means of escape, or to forget parts of my past, or a way that I can speak to new people because i feel shy, or a way to maintain a conversation because I feel embarrassed when there is a lapse in the conversation. I smoke because it is a habit I have formed.

Why, oh Why Do people NOT WAKE UP. And Provide the help that people NEED - instead of shoving alcohol in young , impressionable teenagers faces - masquerading it as ' cool ' . Yeah dead cool, when you are waiting outside of the off licence shop for it to open and hand over your credit card with a shaking hand... and need a bottle of wine to stop the shakes - yeah - Coolio !

It is just WRONG. And has made my blood boil...
    See Gabbs - told you I'd get grouchy at some point today !!!

Well Rant over - I couldn't find the 'Rant forum' so I have just posted this.

I am interested what other people think about this.

Lots of love

from 'peeved' Liz !!!
    xxx
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Bambs aka Hydrogen

:h XXX :h

I totally agree!! It is promoted in the USA also. I think it is the "bottom line"...........money!
    "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

I agree Liz... double standard going on. The only thing I can think of is that they have more "proven" deaths over a long period of time from smoking. Smoking and obesity are still kind of categorized as "medical". You know... they have always had nicotine patches, or gum, diet suppressants... whatever to help stop smoking or eating. But alcohol is a new ballgame. I think we will see huge strides in the near future though. Just wish we didnt have to be the guinea pigs... LOL

Allie (snort snort)
      What happens in Vegas goes straight to Ohio....

Comment

Working...
      X