A story to ponder over!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A story to ponder over!!

I was told this story the other week by a friend when I was struggling and thought I'd share it with you. It certainly made me think that in the bigger picture of things I am just as worthwhile a person as the next man. My self esteem was at an all-time low last week but thankfully I'm back on track!

There was once an old Arab who died and left 17 camels to his three sons. His will was very explicit about their inheritance. One-half of the camels were to be given to the eldest son, one-third to the middle son, and one-ninth to the youngest son. The sons were extremely perplexed, since seventeen cannot be divided by two, three, and nine. As they were pondering how, in Allah's name, they might divide up their inheritance without spilling either their own blood or that of the camels, a neighbor came to their aid. "I will lend you my camel," he said. With the neighbor's camel there were now eighteen camels. The oldest son took one-half or nine camels; the middle son took one-third or six camels; and the youngest son took one-ninth or two camels. Nine plus six plus two camels totaled 17, and the neighbor took back his 18th camel and all the sons were happy.

This story of the 18th camel is a story of unessential necessities. Sometimes that which may not seem to add anything to the sum total in reality adds a great deal.

Peace and Love
    Phil
    xx
    "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
    Clean and sober 25th January 2009

A story to ponder over!!

that sounds like one of those Idrah Shah stores, the sufi guy, loved his tales, made me realise how stupid we can be and how we cant see the woods for the trees.

Love the do Phil, lookin good..................

Comment

A story to ponder over!!

Thanks Phil very thought provoking, I am learning that giving doesnt have to take away from me or anyone else... if there are no strings attached, everyone stands to benefit. When I give freely without expecting anything in return, I always receive more than I give and my self esteem grows because I can feel good about my actions. Love the avitar.

Comment

Working...
      X