Things I'm proud of in my life......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello All--I am hoping to get some of you to come out and play with me. I have found with this drinking thing that I rake myself over the coals so much--disappointment in myself, sadness in my choices, second guessing myself, not feeling good about my parenting, all the things I screwed up or could've done better etc.... that I forget that I have been strong and have done some things in my life that I am proud of.

I am thinking it may be a great boost to our spirit to remember and share some of those things with eachother. Often in life we are uncomfortable tooting our own horn, but let's go for it!

I'll start, but I definitely want/need to hear from you and the more you post the better!

So here goes....a group bragging thread--

I am proud of:

running a marathon once

forgiving my step dad for rejecting and hating on me

being a good listener

raising a son who has tremendous empathy for others

moving and making a life in my dream state of Colorado

being on Day 5 AF

being a risk taker

riding my horse 50 miles in one day (successfully with a happy horse) in a sport called endurance riding

being married for 22 years

being able to go to a movie alone and being comfortable with it

having an open mind

Okay--your turn!:h Openheart
    "Tell me, what do you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

Staying sober for 7 months and going through treatment for 12 weeks. Other things I would say I am grateful for today.

Peace and Love
    Phil
    xx
    "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
    Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

Grateful for my 8 weeks of no drinking
      Grateful to have this site.
      Grateful to have faith in God for if it wasn't for my faith, I wouldn't of thought of quitting.
      I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

I, too, am grateful for many things... but I think this thread is asking for things we are PROUD of.. so here goes:

Raising 2 wonderful kids on my own;
        Virtually fulfilling all of my long time dreams;
        Building and maintaining a business for the past 9 years;
        Facing up to the fact that I have a drinking problem and taking action.
        Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

Forgiving my family for all the crap we all we all went through. Overcoming the suspicion of all other people that was part of my family's belief system.

Finally realizing that accepting ALL parts of myself was necessary in order to learn to truly love myself and therefore be able to love others.

Being AF for 2 weeks at the end of today, and having more hope to continue than ever before in my life.

Always putting the quality of my craft first, even when the money's not there. Seeing the beauty in the finished product.

Turning an old barrel racer into a dressage horse.

Teaching little girls to be great little riders and conscious horsewomen, in pretty humble circumstances.

Being brave enough to pick up the phone to say hello to someone I don't know well (and doing it sober, even with my heart pounding).

Going out to hear music I like, even if no one I know will go. Going alone, sober, and staying that way. Learning to live the life I want, doing what I enjoy, not waiting for someone else to ask me (and wondering why they don't).

And hey, openheart-special congrats to you and your horse on the 50 miles!! And to you and hippie both on every AF free day!!

Much love to all
          ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

Oops-Congrats to everyone's AF days. I only read the first two when I replied!
            ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

I'm proud that I'm slowly learning to let go of blame: of others & "circumstances" that justified my drinking.
              I'll do whatever it takes
              AF 21/08/2009

Comment

What a neat idea! We DO beat ourselves up so much – now let’s shine a little.

Things I am proud of:

1. Serving my country on three continents and in one war.
                2. Raising my kids who seem to be doing pretty well despite my behavior.
                3. Being very frank with my kids about my disease, my choices, and the implications for their future life.
                4. Being a mentor and advisor to budding scientists.
                5. Conducting award winning research.
                6. Being sober for more than two weeks.

E-

Comment

Wow, what an inspiring thread!

I am proud of myself for addressing my drink and drug problem.
                  I am proud of myself that I am using my experiences to help others.
                  I am proud that I am now dealing with emotions and feelings instead of burying them
                  Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
                  Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Wow great question and thread....... What StartingO expressed...... proud of the fact that I chose a life lived!!!!!! instead of a slow pathetic death with shovels throwing dirt on a wooden box!!! when you are a drunk I believe you suffer the most horrible slow death ... you are throwing dirt on your own coffin
                    Reggie

Comment

I am proud that even though I left home at 16 I finished high school and college on my won...even funded ALONE.
                      I am proud that I have 2 beautiful children that are both in honors classes in school and very well balanced despite my drinking problems.
                      I am proud I have a few GOOD friends not a bunch of fake ones.
                      I am proud I /we have managed to maintain a GROWN-UP relationship with my ex-husband for our children sakes.
                      Forever loved, forever missed Papa Bear

Comment

I'm proud of my three kids.....2 in college, 1 still in high school.
                        I'm proud of my marriage 22 years of blood, sweat and tears...mostly my wifes ! Ha!
                        I'm proud of my career..35 years of Govt. Service...most of it with the National Security Agency.
                        I'm glad to have found this site.....it has helped me and given me friends that I would of never had other wise.........IAD
                        ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                        those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                        Dr. Seuss

Comment

Working...
                        X