OK - A question.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK - A question.....

I have always been, what they call ... a 'functioning alcoholic', but lately I am finding it to be much more of a struggle ...i.e to drink, and function.
    I have just accumulated, a whopping 21 days out of 24 - this month. The best I have achieved in ages. Only tonight, I have a drink.
    I dont know if I can ever do this.
    My question is, how do people here, and in 'this mess', manage to cope, .....with work etc.
    It scares me.
    I am feeling a huge lack of confidence in my work, I am scared I am making mistakes, and I am scared I will loose my job.
    It's just, I read a lot about people who do not have a job, but do
    have a home, And do
    manage to live.
    How do you manage?, and how do you cope?
    Who picks up the pieces, when 'we' can't keep them together ?

I am scared.
    Scared of lots of things,
    and scared, of not being able to keep it together
    for much longer.
    ....Then what ?
    ....sorry,

just scared
    Lead me not into temptation, I can find the way myself!!!

OK - A question.....

Stepintime,

I was at the end of my lease on life as I knew it, too. I had to quit.

I was barely able to cope with work and life. It was just a matter of when I got fired, not if I got fired.

I am not sure how others survive without employment. In my case, I would take down a whole lot of other people besides just myself.

I get out of bed every morning thankful that I have made yet another day sober.

Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

OK - A question.....

Hi Step,
      21 out of 24 days af is a huge achievement. Congratulations. For me, all the fear, and worry left me, ALL of it, once i decided to stop drinking. My self confidence is back. Just the thrill of being sober, and knowing i want to continue on this path, gives me huge strength. I feel wild, and i feel free. There are no more chains around my feet, my body, my mind. There is no fear within. Just some kind of natural, wild trust, in what ever will be. Alcoholism, or problem drinking, really is a progressive thing. The cracks will eventually start to show, and it'll be down to you, to pick up the pieces. Follow what you know is the truth, your truth. For me, once i stopped drinking, i could 'breathe' again. I think you know what you've got to do.
      Best wishes.............

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

OK - A question.....

Hi Step,

My short answer is that I was increasingly unable to do my job and drink as much as my body wanted. The signs of alcohol withdrawal were coming on in the middle of the day and I work with people who are likely to recognize that my shaking and sweating is not from “hypoglycemia” or “an inherited condition” or any other dodge I’ve tried. The red face, the sweats, the shakes, the anxiety… it doesn’t take a rocket scientist… thus I was nearing the end of functionality. Like others here, I HAD to quit because if I collapsed into my bottle – and I was very near that – then a lot of other good, innocent people were going down with me and that just wasn’t right; in fact, it was demonically wrong. I am on week three AF now and, God willing and with the help and support of people like you, I will succeed this time.

E-

Comment

Working...
        X