Can alcoholics give blood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just wondering, cuz I am doing it for the first time, tomorrow.

It's just the booze. Otherwise I am incredibly healthy.
    Lead me not into temptation, I can find the way myself!!!

Step,

Per an M.D. who is a blood expert - found this to try to answer your question. It's not clear however what they are measuring to define an alcoholic versus a problem drinker. Also, this is for the U.S.-not sure what the standards are in the U.K.

To educate us - share what screeing process you went though. Did they ask how much you drank and refused to take your blood if you were considered a chronic drinker?

Eve11

33. How is the American blood supply ever to be considered "safe" if major blood collection is obtained from junkies, alcoholics, and prostitutes, male or female. The major portion of the population is totally unaware of where the blood comes from. As defined in RED GOLD testing for hepatitis B and C is routine only in larger metropolitan areas [sic]. Even the testing for AIDS is stated to be 99% accurate [sic], does that mean that one unit in a hundred is infected? If a hospital uses 23,000 units a year is that an acceptable infection rate?

Answer: The rigorous screening process currently in use ensures that junkies, alcoholics, and prostitutes are not able to donate blood. All blood collected in the U.S. is screened for hepatitis B and C. The testing for AIDS used at present fails about two times in a million.
    "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

There are loads of restrictions - obviously! Even having a sore throat disqualifies you for the time being.
      Here's a quick test to see if you'll be eligible tomorrow:

The National Blood Service - do something amazing donate Blood
      sigpic
      AF since December 22nd 2008
      Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

Thank you. I'll let you know what they say tomorrow.

Comment

I donated while drinking ... (well, not "while" drinking.... but up until the evening before). I didn't tell them. No one asked. They asked me a normal pile of questions and did an "iron test" first ....

Everything seemed to go through OK, and I got a letter a short while later, and a card (I was a new donor), thanking me, saying that my blood will help,etc., and asking me to please donate again after 56 days. I'm in Canada.
          AF for two years. Slight relapse. Working on it at the moment.

Comment

I gave blood no problem

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
            I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

I have given NUMEROUS times and they take it every time!
              Forever loved, forever missed Papa Bear

Comment

Aw thanks everyone. Especially 42 cat (cuz that was what I was really asking!! ooops).
                Anyway, in the end - it wasn't really an issue, cuz no sooner had I stepped through the door of the blood mobile, I was leaving!
                Seems I'm not the right weight!!! Aparently, you have to be a minimum of 110 1bs.
                I wouldn't have thought it would matter, what weight you were, as long as you are healthy! Aside from being an alcoholic, I am undeservedly
                very fit and active, and healthy.
                they 'picky buggers' they are!!

Comment

I was turned down once - yes, I do remember being young and THAT thin! Now if I could just get back down from size 10 to size 8; my days of smaller sizes that that are gone forever!
                  My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Working...
                  X