Priceless gifts of recovery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last night my 4 1/2 year old daughter stayed overnight with me for the first time in nearly a year!

A few will remember the struggles I was having with my access where unfortunately I had to go down the road of taking things through the courts. Whilst in treatment though I soon became more aware of just how insane my drinking was and in particular the damage I had caused in the wake of my substance abuse surrounding my ex partner and my daughter. I began to realise that my good intentions of going through the courts was more based on my own ego and what I 'should' be doing in the eyes of everybody else. I felt I was still fighting myself to be honest with this action and trying to relieve my own sense of guilt for the things I had done. I'm not proud of the things I have done but I have learned to accept things for what they are today and more importantly my role in that. In accepting this I became more willing to open up to my ex about my actions. As time passed I found that I was becoming more willing to let go of this 'fight' for my right to see my daughter under a pretense that I was doing the right thing. I realised that whatever decision was to me made about my overnight access was really out of my hands. I didn't feel I had to prove anything to the courts or my ex or even my daughter anymore. I just knew in my heart that whatever happened would be the right decision at that time and I would accept that. It just so happens that the courts have granted my overnight access back starting in October. This was already pre-approved though by myself and my ex and the solicitors anyway.

I think my ex has been impressed by the changes I have made in my life today that she actually asked me did I want to have my daughter stay with me overnight last night (almost as a trial run). The difference it makes seeing my daughter when I am not clock watching or wondering whether we'll have enough time to do this or that etc is beyond words. I didn't feel under any pressure whatsoever with her and I had the most amazing day/night with her. I felt so sad today when she went home because of the wonderful time I had with her. It brought me to tears earlier today but this evening I am feeling so loved and grateful for having this time back with her. Just hearing those words "I love you daddy" whilst cuddling me last night was priceless after the day we'd had. All's I had to do was stop fighting everything and everyone trying to get my own way.

Peace and Love
    Phil
    xx
    "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
    Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Hipsters.

I see your joy, your peace, and also the love you have for your daughter in your post.

Bravo on the progress you have made, and I applaud your acceptance of the flow that brought this experience to you.

:l :l :l

Comment

:l I'm so happy for you Phil.
      Sometimes we just have to have faith that if we clean up our act good things will come - it's wonderful to hear some of those good things - thanks.

xo

Comment

Good on you Hippy.
        That is such a mature and enlightened attitude.
        And what an outcome for all of you.
        Bridget.
        If your 8 year old self met you, would they be proud?
        Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

A very inspiring post, just another joy of being sober. I'm happy for you.
          Enlightened by MWO

Comment

That is fantastic news Hippie.
            I am soooo happy for you and your daughter this absolutely the best kind of reward for your hard work and committment to sorting your self and your addictions out. good for you.
            M

Comment

Hippie, you sound like a man who has clearly done so much work and come to terms with yourself. I am so happy to hear the maturity and confidence in your words. It takes a strong man to surrender and accept what he cannot control. I am thrilled for the outcome for you. I wish you only happy things with your daughter! :l :l
              AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

How wonderful for both of you. It is true what boozehag said, to see a reward for all your hard work and commitment is so fulfilling and reinforcing. Best wishes for future happy days together.

Winefree

Comment

Hippie!

That is very inspiring! Sounds as though you are in the flow!

Best Wishes!!

Comment

Hips, your not a bad person. And thus we R not truly drunks.
                    Recovery: we can identfiy problems in life now, i fixed my side.
                    Love: the ones we love will never trust us, we have an inner deep LOVE,
                    they don't understand.

Hipps, you are amazing.

I LOve YOU.
                    :thanks:
                    An Improved Ripple. :monalisa:

Comment

Hipps, this was beautiful to read...I am very happy for you.
                      You have come such a long way in a relatively short time...amazing...
                      Best wishes my friend
                      Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
                      Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

hippie i am delighted for you,i have had a similar experience with my own children.The love and protection i feel for them is unmeasurable,So lets enjoy what we all missed on now.well done again

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                        I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Beautiful! Not just the happy ending but the new beginning for you and your daughter, not to mention for
                          her mother. I love reading your post, they always inspire me. Thankyou.
                          Namaste'
                          It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness. ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

I'm so happy for you, Hipster... and for your little girl, who's got her daddy back.
                            Thank you for a truly inspiring post.
                            :l
                            Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

Beautiful buddy. This is what it's all about.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Working...
                              X