Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Detox was hard, coming home was harder.

(Sorry for the long post in advance)

Ok, so for those of you that know my story or for those of you thinking about treatment, for what it's worth here's my experience.

I was fired from my brand new job (not alcohol related, my boss was coming on to me and when I told him where to go, you know what shriveled up in his pants and "your fired" came out of his mouth). Anyway, although I am unemployed (again) perhaps this is the break I needed to get better.

The day I got fired I found a detox place (5 days) which most in there would go up to rehab afterwards, but with my insurance running out at the end of the month, that was the best I could do (or wanted to do at the time). Detox was not as hard as it was when I did it bymyself because the put me on valium (which I hated) to prevent seizures (which I did see a couple people have while I was in there). The hardest part was that they did not have many groups or programs in which to participate and TV was very limited. I do not smoke so most of my 5 days there was staring at a wall and trying to avoid the 18-28 yo kids talking about their shooting up stories. At night it was like a frat house because of lack of beds the rehab people (thugs mostly) would sleep down with the detox unit. I am vegitarian so all I ate all week was Iceburg lettuce and cheese...so much for an appropriate diet while detoxing, despite my efforts to expalin that to the nurses...who cares?!

I really didn't crave my beer (for some reason they don't serve beer there) because I was more bored and depressed about being away from my husband...no phone calls either. Finally, he came to get me at discharge and I was so happy. He dropped me off at home and had to run back to work. He is not a drinker but his buddy is...and there were 5 beers in the fridge and I was alone. I was able to pass the night without cracking one and he removed the beer from the house when he came home. So there it was, I did 5 days. The following day I went to my first AA meeting but lost it at the end of the day. I understand "normal" people do not cry over a beverage, but I was in tears I needed beer. In detox I got the Vivitrol shot (supposed to make you not sick if you drink but not be able to feel the effects even if I drank). I wanted to "test" the shot...dumba$$. I bought a 6 pack thinking I would only have three. 6 beers later, feeling guilty but enjoying the feeling (apparently the $800.00 shot in my a$$ didn't work) I had done it. I ruined my 5 days, that fast. I wonder if I needed to stay in rehab if I can get my insurance to stay on (which I may be able to do now that I am unemployed again...just impossible to get a hold of them, although I am trying). I don't want to go away again but I am not sure I can do this, and I certainly would not go back to that animal house. There is only one more place I could go and it's in AL (I am in TN). For the time being, with the whole day to myself and the beer store down the street, all I can do is go to meetings. Yesterday I hit 2 and plan to do the same again today.

This is taking every ounce of energy out of me. I do nothing all day and still come home exhausted like I worked overtime.

So there it is...sorry for the long post. And thank you guys for all the PM's and support on here, it really helps. In my AA meetings I feel like saying "Hi, I'm Cole, I am an alcoholic" and then they all say hi, and I want to tell them I don't have anything to share at the moment, I just like when you guys say Hi! LOL, gotta find some humor in the hell
    Give a man a beer, he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, he'll waste a lifetime.

Hi Colby
    The outcome is not what you wanted from this rehab but you will find the answer.This rehab didn't sound like the best place for you to deal with your addiction.The next one might be. What I do know is that you are searching and actively working to getting al out of your life.It is this determination to find away to get sober that you will. Anyone of us that has any success has tried many different paths and failed many times but kept searching for a way to get al out of our lives. That is why we say if we can do it so can anyone. Don't stop searching for away to get al out of your life. You will

Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
    AF 5-16-08
    Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
    AF 5-16-08

Comment

Hi Colbe, sorry detox wasn't the silver bullet. going to meeting is probably a good idea, keeps your eyes on the prize. Are you coping otherwise? Are you taking the supplements? Sorry, I am new to your story, so this may be same old same old to you. Have you downloaded the book? Have you made a plan? Keep posting. We're in your corner.
      Wally22:confusedmonkey::confusedmonkey::confusedmo nkey:
      If I don't want to brag but I can still wear the earings I wore in highschool
      November 2, 2012

Comment

Colbe, I am just proud of you for making the call!
        I know you didn't find what you where looking for in detox but like Caysee say's, at least you are looking.
        "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Good on you for seeking meetings, Colbe :l
          I hope you will get into the facility in AL and that it's a better place than this detox. But... we all know that there is NO silver bullet... right? We still have to do the work....
          Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

Hey guys,

Well I did do my first meeting today and am hangin outside on the next one. This is a full time job but it's ok, I feel good today. (DeeBee and Sunshine, no problem taking showers anymore !)

I may look into going to a longer stay but maybe in a few days these meetings and the people I meet will help me do this on my own. I do start an Intensive outpatient program next week. I would have started this week, but we are moving to another county (they finally put the house on our land that I camp at every weekend! I will have electricity soon so I can check in with you guys while I am down there...come visit me!!) What memories I have in trying to keep in touch with you guys while in my tent...I hope to look back at that someday, when it is far away and see how far I have come since the desperate calls I was making that week. I could not have made it without you guys. So much support, it was unbelievable. If I get a chance in my meeting this afternoon I am going to verbally thank this site and the people that supported me before I found AA.

Sunshine, I keep meaning to tell how much a love your signature. I told a bunch of people in Detox about it...it's a good one. I need to come up with one for myself!

Love you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            Give a man a beer, he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, he'll waste a lifetime.

Comment

Wally22;702878 wrote: Hi Colbe, sorry detox wasn't the silver bullet. going to meeting is probably a good idea, keeps your eyes on the prize. Are you coping otherwise? Are you taking the supplements? Sorry, I am new to your story, so this may be same old same old to you. Have you downloaded the book? Have you made a plan? Keep posting. We're in your corner.
              Thanks Wally,
              I have not tried the sups but I did get that shot...I can't explain it, I don't crave beer, I crave the habit. I have not downloaded the book, and am being really tight with money since losing my job. I am reading the AA book though...that was free in Detox. Thank you for your concern, you guys are great!

Comment

Colbe, the whole idea behind AA is you don't do it on your own. It is a WE program. Everyone does it together and you never have to feel alone. Give it a try. I am using AA, MWO and a counsellor to keep me sober and so far it's working. Check out the weekly AA thread on this site. Read, ask questions if you like. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
                Good luck.

Winefree

Comment

hi colbe interesting story,i actually laffed,animal house hahahha,it sounds like you got a real understanding husband,my dear he cant help you,but i bet he d do anything to se you get it,b4 it gets way out of hand , find a good treatment center, away from home , reason being,it gives you lots of time to think,if you want to keep following the same path,plus you just cant run home,,living in the states i presume there are many,i dont no if you watch it,interventions ,not that your there yet,there is a line you can call,and theyll help you as much as they can ,i beleive,my dear i live in canada,i went to treatment,a place called homewood,id recomend it to anyone,it either helps or it doesnt good luck to you gyco

Comment

Thanks again guys. I didn't even know there was an AA thread on here...I'll investigate. Best to you!

Comment

rehab is a joke. I could afford the $20K, but it was just like a frat house at night. Mostly kids with their parents money that could care less..

Comment

golfpro;703777 wrote: rehab is a joke. I could afford the $20K, but it was just like a frat house at night. Mostly kids with their parents money that could care less..
                        We must have gone to the same place. I would like to try again, but I can't go through that pathetic crap again...I hear you loud and clear. I think AA is my best option, but the out of control thing is overwhelming me. Thanks for your post.

Comment

golfpro;703777 wrote: rehab is a joke. I could afford the $20K, but it was just like a frat house at night. Mostly kids with their parents money that could care less..
                          you got that right!
                          it worked for me, for awhile.

colbe, sober is a full-time job.
                          it wears you out. AA is good. I support AA.
                          since i work now, it replaces my time from getting drunk.
                          although i did drink 2 times this week.

i am not scared yet.
                          An Improved Ripple. :monalisa:

Comment

Colbe - I don't want to totally discredit rehab. I am sure it helps a lot of people. It is a pain in the ass though. None of the good things in life are easy.

Comment

rehab marked my brain with some unsettled momments.
                              creepy women, bad, bad people where there.
                              my house was filled with crack heads.
                              FOR colbe, you been through alot.
                              be happy the past is behind you.
                              An Improved Ripple. :monalisa:

Comment

Working...
                              X