Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The solution? or the problem.

Here's a question for you.

Did/do you see alcohol as the problem or did/do you see alcohol as the solution to your problems?
    "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
    Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Interesting question Hippie. I saw it as an escape but never a solution. A respite from the percieved crap of real life for a few hours. In later years it became a major problem.
    Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Hippie! Great to "see" you again. I don't know if it's you or me, but it's been a while. (Well, I'm only rarely on General anymore, so it's probably me).

Anyway, I DID see alcohol as the solution to my problems (and it WAS for a long time), and I DO see alcohol as THE problem now.

And I do believe it is a physiological problem, and I do believe it can be solved.
      Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Always the problem.

xo

Comment

unfortunately, I have to say both even though I know the truth in my heart.
          Give a man a beer, he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, he'll waste a lifetime.

Comment

C2H5OH is the molecular formula of damnation and ruination. A simple organic compound – just two carbons long – has been known to mankind for 10,000 years or longer. Its intoxicating effects have never been a secret. Even the Bible records the terrible effects of ethanol in ancient Mesopotamia.

For we alcoholics, ethanol follows us in the shadows, like a tiger stalking its’ prey. Ethanol knows we have a weakness and like the lioness that cuts out ill-fated members of a heard, she leaps upon those who are susceptible. If we are too weak to fight, or if we have simply grown weary of the pursuit, she buries her teeth deep into our necks. Her claws rip the flesh away from our bodies. In a cloud of dust and blood it ends. Her appetite is never satiated. She feeds then turns toward the heard again.

Am I being too vague about how I feel about alcohol?

Comment

no... but maybe too graphic.
              Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

I think that I started off seeing alcohol as the solution and then it became the problem.

Comment

I still see it as both..

Comment

maybe thats what we call denial?

Comment

I just saw it as a way to escape reality. The reality of the hell of life at the time. Of course, when I sobered up...the reality was still there and I felt physically like crap too.
                      Forever loved, forever missed Papa Bear

Comment

i saw it as a temporary fix to the problem of the moment... but it ended up creating new and even bigger problems.

Comment

Never thought about it as either when I was younger - it was just what everyone I knew did socially but over time it became a problem for me as unlike others I did not have an off button.
                          M

Comment

For me it was an escape and i remember saying to myself, i will have a drink now and relax & i did relax,and also just like today it seems to be the cool thing to be doing,so it was a well deserved solution to unwind,but eventually it became a problem and relax or unwind i dident.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                            I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

I didn't have an off button either, so for me it became a problem..... but, I am happy to say that MWO has given me a new lease of life and giving up alcohol has been a great relief for me. Joesgal

Comment

Working...
                              X