Anxiety and Alcohol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anxiety and Alcohol

Hi Jolenje. Just wanted to welcome you here and say how sorry I am to read of the loss of your brother. I can't even imagine how horrible that must be to pick up the pieces from and go on.

No matter what sort of temporary "happy" feeling AL gives us, in my experience the despression and anxiety is far more devastating than any fleeting "happy" feeling is good. I reached a point in my 30+ year drinking career where like you, I thought I was depressed and AL was making me feel a bit better - but in reality it was just the opposite. I know that for sure now as the depression lifted once I got sober and got past the initial physical adjustments. I do realize that for some people, their issues with anxiety and/or depression are worse than what I experienced, and might require medication. I'm just saying that I THOUGHT AL was helping when for me, it was THE PROBLEM.

To me, it has been worth doing whatever it takes to get sober. AL was sucking the life right out of my life. Literally. Never give up fighting for your freedom from AL. Be willing to do whatever it takes. It's worth it.

Strength and hope,

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Anxiety and Alcohol

Wow everyone!!!
      What an amazing response, thankyou all so much...you have really made my day, was feeling a bit depressed about the whole thing, now I am reassured that I am doing the right thing. It is so great to hear others stories, and to know I have you all to reach out to for advice...I find that no-one in my life really wants to talk about AL problems with me...they either think I should "just quit" or themselves have a problem but don't acknowledge that they do...so frustrating...
      Once again :thanks:
      Red Red Wine...My Love/Hate Relationship...

Comment

Anxiety and Alcohol

Jolenje,

I am very sorry for your loss, how difficult things must have been for you.
        I suffered from crippling anxiety for years and eventually depression. I tried to 'medicate' it all away with wine, but that only made it worse. I was put on Lexapro, that didn't help. I eventually found a good herbal product called Amoryn which is designed to treat anxiety/depression. It has worked very well for me with no side effects. I buy it directly from their website if you want to take a look:
        AMORYN Mood Booster | Natural Antidepressant | Supplement for Depression & Anxiety

Wishing you the very best.
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Anxiety and Alcohol

Thanks Lavande,
          That's interesting that you found something natural that works...I will definitely check it out!
          :thanks:
          Red Red Wine...My Love/Hate Relationship...

Comment

Anxiety and Alcohol

JackieClaire;705831 wrote: BB are you following me around or am I following you.?

J x
            I think we take it in turns :H:H:H xxx
            sigpicXXX

Comment

Working...
            X