X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breaking Bad Habits

The Common MYTH That Is
    Holding You Back From Success!

The idea that you can control your bad habits is a myth.

Bad habits are impulses... so instead of controlling them, you often end up repeating them.

Even though you recognize the stress they cause in your life... and even though you make promises to change your ways... again and again, you repeat the same tired patterns!

That's because a habit (like drinking alcohol), by definition, is an acquired pattern of behavior that has become almost involuntary as a result of frequent repetition.

For those of you who prefer a more visual definition, read this story:

A teacher takes a bit of lightweight thread and wraps it one time around a student's wrists.

He tells the class, "This string represents the power of doing something one time. Can you break the string?"

The student easily breaks the thread with a small flick of his wrists. The teacher then wraps the string around the student's wrists many times and repeats the challenge to break it.

Despite repeated efforts, the lightweight thread is too strong to break.

His teacher says, "Now you see the power of repeated actions? habits. It takes more than mere willpower and personal strength to break them. It takes a change in the way you think about the problem."

Bad habits prevent you from reaching your potential. They are self-inflicted punishments that drain you of motivation, time, and money. And they hold you back from living the great life you know you can achieve.

-- from the stopdrinkingadvice.org website
    Break Your Habit Permanently In Just 21 Days - Guaranteed
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Breaking Bad Habits

DeeBee,

This is excellent and so true. Thank you!
    If you do not live the life you believe, you will believe the life you live.

Comment

Breaking Bad Habits

Deebs, I LOVE this analogy...
      Thank you for posting this.
      Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
      Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Breaking Bad Habits

Great analogy and post!
        sigpic
        Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
        awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Breaking Bad Habits

Thanks for posting Deebers, this makes so much sense..
          "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
          NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Breaking Bad Habits

Thank you BeeBee. I read this to my husband, he said it reminded him of an old county song "Hard habits are hard to break" I don't know country, but anyway, I enjoyed the post
            Give a man a beer, he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, he'll waste a lifetime.

Comment

Breaking Bad Habits

DeeBee,
              That is the program I used to get me started in all this.................
              I used it at first to focus on ridding myself of negative thinking - a big problem for me. The program is very effective provided you are willing to put a little time into it and you really want to change a certain behavior.
              Give it some thought...........
              Lav
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09
              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Working...
              X