Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MWO...and what it means to you, words on a screen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

puddytat -- should that have been puddycat? Just wondering...
    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

hi there AK IT means to me to come here and help one another and even if its just one .. just like you have done for me in more then one way ..
      :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
      best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

AK for me MWO is a place of refuge, where I can be me. Not just words on a screen but a lifeline when I feel the need to have a drink. When I check in I know that I have to be truthful and upfront in other words a method to confront myself. I am sober now going on nine months and I know i could not have done this without my accountability to my MWO. Great insightful post!

Comment

Thx dear Beatle. My long posts. (I've finally learned to draft off-line, because usually and kicked-out for inactivity before I've finished!)

It's indeed "tat" -- not "cat" -- only as an homage to Tweety Bird. (still means "cat" ;-)

In the old "Tweety & Sylvester" cartoons, Tweety always refered to the cat, Sylvester, as the "puddytat" (because Tweety had some sort of accent -- Queens or Bronx burroughs of New York maybe?)

BTW: my "over-thoroughness" gets me in more trouble. It's just a different way, I guess, of expressing and processing ideas. and viewed as kind of weird. I really wish I could express myself in a sentence or two, like most here are soooo good at! trying to learn, and thanks for being good teachers.
          Woman takes a drink, drink takes a drink, drink takes a woman.

Comment

Thanks for the explanation, puddy.

Re: the problem of getting kicked out for inactivity-- when you log in, if you click on the "remember me" box, I think your problem will be solved.

The only thing to be careful about with this is that if someone else uses your computer and for some reason goes to the mywayout site, they will automatically be logged in as you. To avoid this, you just have to log out when you are done with each session and then log in again when you come back (and check the "remember me" box again).
            Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Beatle - thanks for tip about "remember me" -- ah, that solves the problem of getting kicked out so often! just being remembered (laptop is password-protected, and rarely used by others)
              Woman takes a drink, drink takes a drink, drink takes a woman.

Comment

What MWO means to me is a place where people are real and honest. I feel safe here.

Other sites designed to help people meet each other--you never know how much play acting and deception is going on. I call most of the people on them "paper dolls" because there is often no reality behind the picture. You always have to have your guard up.

This is the first site I have been on where I have no doubt that the people and feelings are real. I don't have to worry about the people here having ulterior motives. It's a place to hang out while that urge for a drink passes. It's a place where someone just posts a message saying "HELP," and in no time there is an abundance of replies and support. I've never experienced an on-line forum like it.

Comment

i know when i start to take the board to personally i can dismiss it and not use it to my advantage. its almost an excuse to let myself think about drinking again. if i am resentful or feeling left out here, i allow myself to believe i am alone and that i might as well be drinking again, because after all, who really cares. of course that is my alcoholic brain tricking me into feeling sorry for myself and enabling me to pick up again. sometimes i need a day or two away from mwo to keep those feelings at bay.

this is my struggle and there are plenty of folks here who know what i am going through, but in the end i need t be able to do it on my own.

i don't know, i love this place, but i also feel a sort of disconnect from people here...must be the computer part of it all.

Comment

Working...
                  X