Getting alcohol out of the house/garage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you all get your spouses/significant others "on board" with getting rid of all the alcohol?

I really need all the alcohol to go away. My husband likes a beer or two after activities like mowing the lawn or working in the garage. We have a mini-fridge in the garage stocked with beer. when his friends come over, they'll crack one open while they hang out. The problem is, it's just too tempting for me. I thought getting it out of the house was good enough. Sometimes, it is because I don't see it. But within the last week, I have screwed up twice. I did so well last month cutting back my consumption drastically. I'm on meds that I'm not supposed to drink on. My therapist doesn't want me to drink because it clouds my head and I am learning to deal with my problems appropriately.

I want to tell my husband that all the alcohol needs to go. But, I feel badly because he doesn't have the problem I have. I feel like he should be able to have a beer or two and stop. I on the other hand, can't stop after one or two. It's usually 3 or more, unless I start feeling guilty about drinking and stop after 1. I've rarely bought my own alcohol all summer. I drink what is around, just because it is there. If I am out socializing, I can "nurse" one drink to "fit in" but when I am home, I drink in excess. I had 23 non-drinking days last month. I was hoping to beat that this month. I start work next week (teacher) and have 2 young children, and I hope the stress doesn't put me over the edge and want to drink. I have all the supplements, but I've stopped taking topamax under the discretion of my doctor. So many things make me think about drinking alcohol. (Even being on this site since it's our big topic of discussion!) I really think if I got it out of our house and garage I would be sooooo much better off. If I am at the store and think of buying it, I think about all the other things I could use the money for, and my urge goes away. Is it fair of me to ask my husband to get rid of it all?

well all you can do is talk with him and see if he is willing to help you thur this ..
    :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
    best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

Hi finallymadeit....I hear your frustration. And I think it's fair for you to ask for anything you want.

Whether or not he wants to do it or is willing to do it is another matter altogether, but I think it is a measure of a couple of things if he will not.

1. That he doesn't believe you REALLY have a problem.

2. Or maybe he DOES believe you have a problem, but he's rushing you to a place in your recovery that you have not achieved yet...assuming that at some point in your life you ARE going to have to deal with the presence of alcohol (such as at social events, etc.) and why not now? Which I think for many alcoholics is unrealistic so early in their recoveries, and actually for many alcoholics may never be a reality to have an abundance of the stuff in their homes, even if it is in the garage.

3. May be a measure of how much he does or does not support YOU in general. I do not mean to offend in any way if I am off base about this, but have you TOLD him that this is a measure of how much he does or does not support you in whether or not he does this for you? Maybe you need to be that blunt about it? Tell him to let one of the friends or neighbors be the keeper of the beer fridge and let him go over there to have it. Straight out.

My husband was not a big drinker, and I never actually ASKED him not to drink, but just recently I did ask him why I never saw beer in the fridge anymore (which was not my poison anyway, it was wine, and beer was not that hard for me to say no to anyway) and he said, didn't you know, I have not been drinking around you on PURPOSE?? Like I was silly, what else would he do when I was committed to sobriety?

Then I thought to myself, "Yeah, he's a really good husband, what else WOULD he do?"

Many :l :l :l :l to you and good luck.

Comment

Working...
      X