Not Sure What I Want Anymore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello- I was here a few years back. I really am not sure what I want from this living with alcoholism anymore. Absolute AF sobriety? I've never actually tried moderation. I was taught to believe, from two programs, that there was no such thing, and trying was to delude myself and extend the period of painful drinking even longer, so don't know if that is an option.

After four years of sobriety and I slipped; both the programs compounded my belief that I was a failure. I get sick if I drink too much and I can stop if I try -- if I drink tequila all bets are off -- I will have no will power. But the day I slipped I couldn't even drink more than a few drinks because I actually couldn't handle my liquor. I had to build up to it. It was a few months before I ever took another drink. But then I kept thinking it was alright and got back to my old habits. Makes me wonder about moderation.

Point is -- I've never tried to moderate and I wonder if I should. I'm tired of the merry-go-round of who has more sobriety, of getting a wee bit jealous when someone announces sobriety time. That I am flawed by not accepting total abstinence as a solution anymore.

That one day of relapse could have been all there was, but I was so wrapped up in "sobriety time" that after I that oh well, throw up of the hands, "I failed, may as well keep drinking," instead of this is not the point in a well-lived life -- not someone else's idea of sobriety -- but one still needs a support group - and one that doesn't judge and I have to announce slips like I'm in a confessional, but supports that fact we have a problem that can be tackled from various different modalities. I mean when a diabetic slips and eats something they shouldn't doesn't mean they are still not managing their disease?

I'm thankful for having re-found this place as self-expression reflects more world wide tolerance than the usually puritanical US ways of thinking (sorry US -don't get your panties in a wad over that one.) I would like to approach my sobriety from an intelligent basis. No more dogma. I'm not sure what works for me at this point. What I should be trying for. I don't feel like wrapping myself in guilt or set-ups for failure anymore.

I'm 49 today -- chalk up this line of talk to mid-life "what the hell am I doing?" talk.

Thanks for listening.
    Padme

AF 21, March 2010

"First say to yourself what 
you would be; and then do 
what you have to do."
-Epictetus

Hello Padme and welcome back.

And first off, Happy Birthday!!! :bday2:

Now back to business...please ignore my signature if my "date stamping" bothers you at all, it is something that for now, anyway, is important to me, but actually as time goes on becomes less important to me as I start to identify myself just generally as a non-drinker rather than getting tied up in "days sober" or getting into competition with anyone else.

That being said, one of the true gifts I have found from MWO is the variety of options that I have seen embraced here for people to find health and peace. I hope you find yours here now that you are back.

Comment

Hi Padme

Happy Birthday

Welcome back. I think the decision as to how to view your drinking is your own. You decide your goals, and you decide if and when you have reached those goals. One slip after 4 years AF doesn't sound like failure to me. Modding doesn't sound like failure either. My personal goal is to be AF. I have tried modding and invariably I slip back into my old habits. I have my latest AF date in my signature, because otherwise, I will forget.
      Wally22:confusedmonkey::confusedmonkey::confusedmo nkey:
      If I don't want to brag but I can still wear the earings I wore in highschool
      November 2, 2012

Comment

O heaven's, thank you for the Happy Birthday's -- I'm having a bit of a pity party today -- So they are welcomed.

but , no I didn't mean people's dates freak me out -- just sometimes, usually when I'm being prone to beating myself up -- prone to wallowing on occasion -- but I keep putting up dates and falling flat -- it's my cross, if you know what I mean.

But doesn't that demoralize you a bit? Dates, fail, dates, fail? I mean is there a day when alcohol is not part of the picture? It seems one is trying to quit and then when one does it's talking about it forever. Hell, what's the dif at that point?

Counting time really does help and so does adding up days, rather than the free-for-all -- one can see that they aren't totally effed up.

:l sweet hugs -- I know I'm new, again, but thanks
        Padme

AF 21, March 2010

what you have to do."
-Epictetus

Comment

1 day out of 1,460 days doesn't take away those 1,460 days!
          That's just crazy talk, IMHO.
          don't let those "programs" tell you you're back to square one ... you worked for and achieved those 4 yrs.
          As for modding, some moderate successfully, many decide it's just not worth it ... it's still better than giving up on 'giving up AL'
          Stick around here ... great open-minded people, and no pat answers. Kindly, Puddy
          Woman takes a drink, drink takes a drink, drink takes a woman.

Comment

Hi Again
            I didn't put up dates for a while, because I couldn't go more than six or eight weeks before I would decide I could mod. And it was embarassing when people would congratulate me on 30 days and it was like the 3rd or 4th time. So I kept it to myself.
            This time I put the date up for myself because I am dead certain it is the last date.
            I don't remember the day I quit smoking. I do remember being as certain about quitting smoking as I feel about quitting drinking now. So I am pretty certain of success. My only problem is being too cocky about the whole thing.
            Being Anglican we take wine at communion every week. I could anticipate the taste the wine today, but I passed the cup without a taste and I felt good about that. Not deprived, good.
            I have got through a couple of social occasions without feeling left out of the fun. That is a big turning point for me. So all the "failures" before were just training or practice for the real thing. They weren't really failures. They were teaching me how to succeed. It's just that I am a very slow learner.
            Wally22:confusedmonkey::confusedmonkey::confusedmo nkey:
            If I don't want to brag but I can still wear the earings I wore in highschool
            November 2, 2012

Comment

Strong abstinence-violation effect.

Just read this. Interesting.

For clarity those four years were a few years ago.
              Padme

AF 21, March 2010

what you have to do."
-Epictetus

Comment

Very thought-provoking post, P, and thanks for the a-v reference. I got hung on on the numbers too. Now, I just deal with today - now. It's all I have control over anyway.
                Rubes

:bday7: :banana: :bday3: :day4: :bday6:
                sigpic
                Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
                awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Hiya Padme,
                  And happy birthday! You have a very good point about talking/thinking about drinking a lot of the time. I presume you mean regular support meetings like AA? A great program for some, but not for everyone either. I'm only around 10 months sober, and as it happen's, i don't go to any regular meets, such as AA, though i do log on here daily, but i can take or leave what i want to read or post. My point is that i don't think about drinking much anymore, i'm too busy living, and enjoying doing other stuff that's important and meaningful to me. Talking and thinking about drinking everyday when you are done with it, isn't an advantage to me. However, i reckon if we are not yet 'done' with drinking, (are we ever? well, more and more so every day here) regular face to face support, such as AA might be useful. Have you tried any other AA groups. They may be quite different, with people more your style? Take what you need, and leave the rest, as they say? Check out the AA thread here too, and post your dilemma. The folk's there are cool, with various opinions. Believe in yourself. What works for someone else, won't always work for you. We must find our own way. I'm not for AA myself. Went once, and i can see it's benifit, just not my way, as it happens. Great to see you back! Don't stress. You will be ok. Do it your own way, and do it for you.
                  Best wishes............G.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Hi Padme,
                    I completely agree with what you're saying, and I'm so glad you posted it.
                    I am an 'all or nothing' kind of girl. I'm realised that this polarised thinking of mine is part of the problem, not the solution.
                    'One day at a time' is not a concept that I've ever embraced. But I've been doing a lot of thinking about it lately. And I think I'm finally starting to get it.
                    Moderation with alcohol will NEVER work for me.
                    I'm going to work on moderation with attitude. I think this is a bit of a missing link, but a few things peeps have said to me here over the last couple of days have me thinking. And now that you've voiced this too......
                    Any way P....it's YOUR life....YOU get to make the rules.
                    Stick around.
                    Bridge
                    If your 8 year old self met you, would they be proud?
                    Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

PS: That article is fantastic. I'll be doing more reading about that.
                      If your 8 year old self met you, would they be proud?
                      Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

Working...
                      X