Cultivating Gratitude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cultivating Gratitude

I read a little each day on the To Do Institute website in an attempt to reduce my 'Resentment Factor'. Naikan Therapy is a great way of introducing gratitude into your life while reducing feelings of resentment.

This is an exerpt from an interview by Robert Emmons, Ph.D., prof. of psychology at UC Davis. He is an authority on the topic of gratitude in North America.

" I think it?s important to stress that gratitude is really a choice. It doesn?t depend upon circumstances or genetic wiring or something that we don?t have control over. It really becomes an attitude that we can choose that makes life better for ourselves and for other people. I think about it as the best approach to life and I gave a talk this past summer where the title was, ?Gratitude Is the Best Approach To Life.? At the time it seemed a little presumptuous, but the more I think about it, I really think the title is true. When things go well gratitude enables us to savor things going well. When things go poorly gratitude enables us to get over those situations and to realize they are temporary."

I just wanted to share this with everyone, something good to think about
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Cultivating Gratitude

Lavande,
    I whole-heartedly agree. Gratitude is truly a choice, and one we need to be reminded of often. Thanks for sharing this
    If you do not live the life you believe, you will believe the life you live.

Comment

Cultivating Gratitude

Gratitude and attitude is everything. I just had bad news yesterday and was able to not sink in to despair by listing all the good things in my life and being grateful for them. It really does make a difference in how you feel. Thoughts lead to feelings. It seems to me that negative thinking can lead to drinking so it is very important to be aware of your thoughts and take control of them as much as possible. Making an effort to list or be aware of all the good things in our lives is one way to have an attitude of gratitude. Thanks for bringing this up.
      Redhibiscus

Comment

Cultivating Gratitude

gratitude and acceptance are two magic tricks available to us in recovery. No matter who we are, were we are,or what we have, gratitude & acceptance work.,we may eventually become so happy that we realize our present circumstances are good,Or we master our present circumstances and then move forward into the next set of circumstances.
        If we become stuck,miserable,feeling trapped and hopeless,try gratitude & acceptance.
        If we feel like all is dark and the night will never end,try gratitude & acceptance,
        If we feel scared and uncertain,try gratitude & acceptance,
        when all else fails,go back to the basics. gratitude & acceptance works nice thread.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
        I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Cultivating Gratitude

I'm glad you brought acceptance into the equasion Mario!! I don't think you can be grateful for anything you have or haven't got unless you have first accepted that in your heart. I couldn't, for instance, say I was grateful for being sober if I hadn't accepted the fact that I was truly sober. Feeling grateful for the things I have today in my life and not worrying about the things I haven't got is a very humbling experience and cultivates only more gratitude in my eyes. I'm not sure about having an attitude of gratitude though. It's like saying sorry to someone and not meaning it. I could do that all day long if I pleased. It's not an attitude, it's a feeling. But I agree the more you practice the easier it will become in your daily life.

Love and Light
          Phil
          xx
          "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
          Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

Working...
          X