Another very wise post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another very wise post

I am blown away by the wisdom I've read in MWO.

This from Popye(Sept)in response to a member's cry for help:

"What's behind you is done. There is nothing that you can do to change what has happened, and I know from experience that dwelling on mistakes of the past does nothing but crush the spirit and waste any positive energy that we may have.
    I have spent many days and nights feeling the pangs of regret and desire, and found myself lost in a black funk with no way forward.
    I don't ever want to forget my past though. It's important to me. It is part of my make-up and I have had some wonderful times with some beautiful people and I've also had some darker times, when I thought there was little to do but fade away.
    I've been an alcoholic for many years and the reasons I drank were as many as leaves on a tree, and every one of them was a lie; an excuse I made to stop myself from having to face the world, and as we all know, that is no way to live. This one life is all that I have and I have wasted too much of it.
    I can't deal with the past. I can only deal with my perception of the past and to do this I had to stop drinking, which was no easy task. I have to know true reality in order to work through it and not the distorted ghost of reality that I find in a bottle. I always knew that drinking wasn't the answer. I wanted it to dull the pain, but it doesn't work that way.
    I'm at the stage now, where I can accept what is, and also look forward to what will be, without any bitter aftertaste and a knowledge that I can make of myself whatever I will. On balance, there is at least as much for me to be happy about as there is to bemoan, if I was the bemoaning sort of person."

Another very wise post

I agree. Popeye is one of my heros here.

And birdy.... Your signature line is awesome.
    sigpic
    Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Another very wise post

I agree 110%. Read and reread this one. It truly is a life changing concept. Knowing and believing this is a huge part in overcoming AL and continuing staying sober on a daily basis, as well as words of wisdom for life in general.

Thanks for sharing this Sunbird, and thanks for writing it, Popeye.

Much love!!!
      ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

Another very wise post

great post popeye i often go back and read previous posts/threads and your right sunbird some of them are mind blowing the more we read and understand our problem the more we can deal with it. thanks sunbird for bringing this back. :goodjob:

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
        I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Another very wise post

Very insightful, gramps - thank you.

And thank you for putting it up for all to see or revisit, Sunbirdie!
          Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

Another very wise post

Thank you Sunbird and thank you Popeye! I needed to read that to help me stay focused on today, not yesterday.
            When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.
            -- Franklin D Roosevelt --

Comment

Working...
            X