For the horsey people here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ruby, your Daddy was a hoot! I agree with keeping this thread going. I don't have a horse but adore them! GD has a borrowed one named Pat...LOL!!
    :l
    LTG AF January 13, 2011

Comment

Ruby - My first horse was a walker also - he cost $110 in 1969, I saved my lunch money and did odd jobs to buy him. He was cool to ride bareback, you could grab that mane cause of the high head carriage and ask him to FLY! When I was younger I bounced a lot better too! :H

You make a good point, though. Kids today are a little too overprotected and miss a lot of fun, and some great memories because of that.
      ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

Dance, like the kids in Las Colinas...LOL!! $110 bucks back then was alot. You must have starved to get him. Good for you! What was his name?
        LTG AF January 13, 2011

Comment

Tawny, glad you are back in the saddle again...LOL!!
          LTG AF January 13, 2011

Comment

LTG - His name was Sabre, he was much older than the 10 years old the guy said he was, a palomino with 3 white stockings and a white blaze. Me and my friend figured this little scam out after using it to rent horses on Sunday morning for 2 hours instead of just one. Realized we could buy our own. My dad told me he'd pay board if I could save up my money. Years later he told me he didn't think I really could. Never underestimate a horse crazy little girl!
            ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

:H Dance...

Mark (aka devil horse) was a dark bay TB as well (and also BIG contrast between summer/winter coat) but no, not out of the same line! One of the few times I did connect with him was the year after the BAD throw (and before the next). I had hired a trainer to work with both of us and things were going quite well. I only worked with him on the ground. Worked on standing for mounting, general manners, and standing for any length of time period. One night, we were done and he simply refused to move back to where I would untack him. Just stood and looked at me. Then nudged my elbow. I KNEW what he wanted. He wanted me to mount. I checked and double checked. I led him to a mounting block, layed over him, etc... watched him like a hawk for any sign of trouble. His nose came around and touched my butt. If I hadn't got on there on my own, I think he would have PUT me up in the saddle! :H I only rode for maybe 5 minutes that evening and jumped off shaking like a leaf. And... the happy times didn't last long. About a month later he exploded again. And put me out of commission for only 2 months that time.

I still love a dark bay, though

Mark cost me $1200 and I gave him away for nothing. Sophie, on the other hand, I bought for $300 and she has given me SO much. Speaking of which, I need to go feed her Btw, a very nice forum is horsetopia... have a look!
              Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

Sunny - What a stinker! He was messing with you, I guarantee it! I'm so glad you found Sophie (who's lovely by the way, I saw her picture my first days here looking around the forum). :h

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

dancelot;727891 wrote: LTG - His name was Sabre, he was much older than the 10 years old the guy said he was, a palomino with 3 white stockings and a white blaze. Me and my friend figured this little scam out after using it to rent horses on Sunday morning for 2 hours instead of just one. Realized we could buy our own. My dad told me he'd pay board if I could save up my money. Years later he told me he didn't think I really could. Never underestimate a horse crazy little girl!
                  And great Daddys!
                  sigpic
                  Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
                  awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Good for you Tawny!

That reminds me... 'back in the saddle again' one of the funniest reads in a long time... I came across this story by Richard Harter a few years ago http://home.tiac.net/~cri_d/cri/1997/riding.html when you have a little time... give it a read!
                    Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

I love palominos! That is what I have always wanted - or a morgan - or a paint. Hell, I just want a horse...LOL!!
                      LTG AF January 13, 2011

Comment

Ruby - YES to that! There were some rough times, but when we grow up and learn to let go of those, then good moments shine through like the jewels they are, and those are the ones I choose to remember. :h

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

LTG- I love Morgans too! I rode one when I first got back into lessons. They are almost human sometimes, very people oriented, very intelligent (not like an evil TB either!). Plus so-o-o cute!

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

The morgans are almost cuddly...LOL!! They use them out at a place I backpacked in in CA, Pt. Reyes National Seashore for the mounties there. Such beauties.
                            LTG AF January 13, 2011

Comment

Is Pt. Reyes in or near Big Sur? One of the riding vacations (Cross Country Intl) has one there.

They really are about as cuddly as a 1000 lb critter can be. Big, beautiful eyes, too.

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

Thanks Sunshine

I haven't been on for a while, lost my job yesterday now worried about losing my boy and gal...............I love them to death!! :h:hdon't ride as much as I would like, would love a riding buddy, mine are injured or sick or drinking too much right now...................:upset:

Beautiful videos Sunshine, I really enjoyed reading all the stories, wish I felt like sharing my own, just hopeful I can still enjoy mine, gotta find another job first, not easy right now

Lots of love,:l:h

MA
                                :rays:My happiness is my greatest gift to others:rays:eace:

Comment

Working...
                                X