OK news,,not good news...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, I went back to the Dr. this a.m. for the results of my last liver enzyme test. They apparently have two things they test,,one was down, but not enough, and the other was UP.

I have cut back so much I just can't believe it. Since August 12, I have had maybe 3 Saturday nights where I had a few drinks, the rest of the time has been completely AF. Right now I am at 2 1/2 weeks and feel great. But honestly, as she was talking about the tests, I was thinking to myself "after all this work and self discipline I can't believe this has gone up...screw it, I'm doomed, I'll just drink....". Now those thoughts were fleeting, and I won't do that. But I was so discouraged and upset.

This weekend is busy with social plans and I was planning on having a couple drinks on Sat night. My plan all along has been to moderate. But now I'm thinking, I guess I can't do that. If I'm committed to getting healthy again I need to NOT DRINK again. It will raise eyebrows for sure and I'll have to come up with something to explain why I'm not drinking as I will be the only one.

Sorry for the long post. It seems to feel better to "talk" about it here as I really don't want to let anyone close to me in on my problems.

I have been taking Milk Thistle....wondering if this would elevate that liver test result???

Hope everyone is doing well and having a great AF day...thanks...
    Every day is not 100%, however, it is 100% better than my best day of drinking..

Hey Tassimo... sorry the test results didn't show the improvement you were hoping for. I suppose, we need to think about how long we were abusing our bodies and organs and that, wondrous as they are, they will not repair themselves overnight? Did you voice your concerns/ask your doctor?

As for not drinking in a social setting... I found that if you bring your own drink, nobody gives a hoot. It's US that are obsessed with if/when/why/how much to drink. I've spent hours coming up with plausible explanations to questions that were never asked Just go out and enjoy yourself... you probably won't have to explain a thing
    Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

Tassimo, sorry about your dissapointment but for what it is worth, you need to be completely AL free for at least 3 months before your enzymes return to normal. You are doing so well, dont be tempted to revert to former drinking. You can do better! Keep it going.

Comment

Tassimo,

The liver is a very forgiving organ, but I have to agree with Irish that you have to be completely AF for some time before your liver count goes back to normal. (although I thought it was 6 weeks).

I honestly don't think it's the milk thistle. All my family take it.

If it's any help when I go out now I just say I'm to people I'm not drinking tonight. After that initial statement most don't give a hoot, and to be quite honest if some get their knickers in a twist it's their problem not mine.

Best of luck.

Love Jackie xxx

AF since 7/7/2009
        It could be worse, I could be filing.
        AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

It would depend on which test it up, but I know for a fact the bilirubin will be high if you drink at all. I would agree with the above posts as well.
          Hang in there!
          The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement...I guess expecting the damage I've done over 20+ of heavy drinking will not be fixed in 6 weeks as I had hoped. LOL After having a good cry, I headed to the mall for some retail therapy. Went to the gym this morning and had a great workout. I am more determined than ever to be healthy again. My moderation goals are being reevaluated and I will continue my AF time (now almost 3 weeks). I will continue to draw strength from all your wonderful stories, you are all so helpful and inspirational. Thanks everyone...
            Every day is not 100%, however, it is 100% better than my best day of drinking..

Comment

I completely agree with .... you didn't damage it over night, it's can't repair over night. Treat yourself well and milk thistle and schizandra are good for liver. But don't drink.
              sigpic
              Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Working...
              X