Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much time would you put between being AF and attempting NF

I also need/want to quit smoking, but don't want it to have any part of
    screwing up my being AF. I see some are both. How did you do it, and how much
    time between.

Here's a sad story I'd like to share. Can laugh now, my son as well,
    but at the time...happened maybe 2 yrs ago..

Along with hiding the amount which I drank, I was also hiding the fact I
    smoked from my boys, and b/f. Got busted by b/f so now I smoke openly.

Many people I know smoke weed, but it just ruins my fun so I never partake.

Anyways, my oldest and I were at a friends place, and she smokes up, so while
    she did, I had a couple smokes. Decided it was time to leave shortly after, told my
    oldest, and before we got into the car, I sprayed myself with body spray
    to hide the cig smoke. My son was furious. He said why did you spray yourself MOM!?!
    Lying, I told him I was just with my friend, and she had a smoke so I just didn't
    want to smell it in the car.

He said 'you're lying Mom..I know you were smoking pot!!!'

WHAT?!?! No honey, I don't smoke pot, and went into a long chat about the dangers and so forth.
    Well, he said, I know for a FACT that you were, I am not stupid Mom.
    And on and on...he was sooo mad. Finally after prodding his reasons he finally told
    me that he knew because he was at home a few nights ago and got a call.

Yes, so??...knowing that although I hide drinking and smoking and am totally
    guilty for it, I was completely innocent of drugs.

I know you're lying Mom cuz the weed man called.

HUH?? OMG, ...The Weed Man. ...

Good Lord, took a GOOD 5 mins AT LEAST before I could convince him 'the weed man' was a pest
    control company for lawns!!!!!!!!!!!

So back to quitting..a few weeks ago I did the patch and it was great for 10 days til I
    got completely stressed about something. Am ready to go for it again...any advice?

:thanks: DLA
    Of all vices, drinking is the most incompatible with greatness
    Sir Walter Scott
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi DLA,

As you can see below, I waited 2+ months between quits. It was rough, actually still is..............
    I cannot stop thinking about smoking, drives me nuts!
    I have smoking dreams, think about it all day long too. I keep telling myself over & over Smoking is Not an Option. I really don't want to be a smoker again but can't seem to stop obssessing.
    For me going AF was much, much easier than going SF. I've been trying to apply the messages from the Hypno CDs to help with the smoking thoughts.

I wish you good luck, be sure to check out www.quitnet.org
    Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

LAV

Hi Lav ,Its scary how identical our stories sound , right down to when we quit smoking , ( i gained 12 lbs ) YIKES
      I was born & raised in Pittsburgh, STEELER COUNTRY !
      We moved to California years ago , but I still consider Pittsburgh my hometown. I am so grateful that I found this site. Just reading the post keeps me aware of why I am doing this and that I need to regulate or stop AL for good. Still not sure what will happen after my 30days. You guys seem to be able to write down your thoughts and feelings so well , Are you all WRITERS?? lol , I can't seem to describe yet how I feel Thanks for listening
      Non Drinker 9/09
      Non Smoker 6/09
      Tennis Anyone ?

Comment

never take another puff

Lavande;732742 wrote: Hi DLA,

As you can see below, I waited 2+ months between quits. It was rough, actually still is..............
        I cannot stop thinking about smoking, drives me nuts!
        I have smoking dreams, think about it all day long too. I keep telling myself over & over Smoking is Not an Option. I really don't want to be a smoker again but can't seem to stop obssessing.
        For me going AF was much, much easier than going SF. I've been trying to apply the messages from the Hypno CDs to help with the smoking thoughts.

I wish you good luck, be sure to check out www.quitnet.org
        Lav

we're different when it comes to the smoking , I never looked back , no urges , no dreams , just happy that I'm saving $6 a day :h
        Non Drinker 9/09
        Non Smoker 6/09
        Tennis Anyone ?

Comment

I read the Allen Carr book " easy way to stop smoking" it worked for me , I think you REALLY need to want to stop :h
          drylifeahead;732733 wrote:
          I also need/want to quit smoking, but don't want it to have any part of
          screwing up my being AF. I see some are both. How did you do it, and how much
          time between.

Here's a sad story I'd like to share. Can laugh now, my son as well,
          but at the time...happened maybe 2 yrs ago..

Along with hiding the amount which I drank, I was also hiding the fact I
          smoked from my boys, and b/f. Got busted by b/f so now I smoke openly.

Many people I know smoke weed, but it just ruins my fun so I never partake.

Anyways, my oldest and I were at a friends place, and she smokes up, so while
          she did, I had a couple smokes. Decided it was time to leave shortly after, told my
          oldest, and before we got into the car, I sprayed myself with body spray
          to hide the cig smoke. My son was furious. He said why did you spray yourself MOM!?!
          Lying, I told him I was just with my friend, and she had a smoke so I just didn't
          want to smell it in the car.

He said 'you're lying Mom..I know you were smoking pot!!!'

WHAT?!?! No honey, I don't smoke pot, and went into a long chat about the dangers and so forth.
          Well, he said, I know for a FACT that you were, I am not stupid Mom.
          And on and on...he was sooo mad. Finally after prodding his reasons he finally told
          me that he knew because he was at home a few nights ago and got a call.

Yes, so??...knowing that although I hide drinking and smoking and am totally
          guilty for it, I was completely innocent of drugs.

I know you're lying Mom cuz the weed man called.

HUH?? OMG, ...The Weed Man. ...

Good Lord, took a GOOD 5 mins AT LEAST before I could convince him 'the weed man' was a pest
          control company for lawns!!!!!!!!!!!

So back to quitting..a few weeks ago I did the patch and it was great for 10 days til I
          got completely stressed about something. Am ready to go for it again...any advice?

:thanks: DLA
          Non Drinker 9/09
          Non Smoker 6/09
          Tennis Anyone ?

Comment

Hey Em,

We're south of Philly so it's all about the Phillies and the Eagles here. Basically, I pretty much ignore pro sports, still enjoy college ball though.
            My brother is in Woodland, CA these days, been there a couple of times to see him. Monterey is awesome and the drive to San Fran and points north - fantastic. Geez, I'm suddenly feeling the need to pack
            Look for another PM from me!!
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09

Comment

BTW,

I read the Allen Carr book too - didn't do anything for me.
              I know I'm stranger than most people
              I don't scare easily.......
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09

Comment

The reason I ended up being AF is because I really wanted to quit smoking once and for all.
                What it boiled down to, is I was never going to be able to get off the cigs if I continued to drink. After about 3-4 beers, all I could think about was having a ciggie. So, once I got real, I used a few tools..the ones mentioned above..Quitnet and Alan Carr's book, plus a couple of hypno/positive affirmation cds. I have been quit since the first of June 1 year, except for the one time, I decided to drink (Sept 08) when I had 2 cigarettes.
                But, I only smoked when I drank, and only drank when I smoked. Now, if I ever think about drinking, I think about smoking too. So, I HAD to quit both.
                I do know that you will never regret quitting--absolutely!

I loved the story about your son and the "Weed guy". :H
                The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Hi Lavande,

I agree in finding AF easier! But I need to be NF too. Excellent you are successful in battling both!
                  I remember the dreams too..dreams of me smoking, then waking up and breathing a huge sigh of relief that it was only a dream.

I read the Allen Carr as well Emmy. Well, about a quarter of it. I'm so happy to see it worked for you. I'll look for it tonight since I finished my last book the other night.

When I drink I smoke way too much as well LVY25. Thinking that once I give up the cigs, maybe that will actually help me further being AF. Just don't want to put too much pressure on myself so early.
                  Good for you also for kicking both!!!!
                  Sir Walter Scott

Comment

Drylife,

When I was at the Mayo Clinic due to my stupidity, they did not let me smoke. At all. I was under 72 hours 24/7 surveillance.

I was talked to by a person who was an ex-smoker who told me that even though AA and many rehabs recommend tackling one addiction at a time, that is not valid. I am not sure where she got her info from. I know she is an ex-smoker. I doubt she was an ex-drinker.

However, they convinced me to try to quit smoking. Whatever it takes. Sound familiar?

I am going AF and doing Chantix right now. I have been AF for months and then blew it but now doing Chantix. They told me that even though the Chantix literature warns against using nicotene replacement therapy to go NF, do it anyway.

While I was in the hospital, under duress, they made me go NF. They put 2 patches on me. That did the trick while I was there. I did not take anybody's head off or go crazy (well, okay, I am crazy, I am a hardcore alcoholic, smokaholic addict) but I did not want to hurt anyone while I was there.

What she told me was, "You will hear you cannot take on both addictions at once. That is patently BS. We find when you do, you succeed much better at both."

I am just relaying what I was told.

I am less than a week away from NF based on my Chantix packet, but, unlike what the literature says, if I feel a huge craving that I can't get past, I will do a lozenge, gum, inhaler, whatever to get past it.

Like she said, "You have been regulating your nicotine intake for years. Just do it without a cigarette from now on."

So. I say, based on what I was told, you CAN do both. My hubby wants me to tackle both. He doesn't want me to die from either source. He would rather I die from something else. LOL

Good luck.

We can do this.

Cindi
                    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Hey Cindi,
                      ***AA and many rehabs recommend tackling one addiction at a time***

That's what I heard, and that's why I thought I'd ask those who should know from experience. This is good news.

Thanks for the excellent article Sheri.

DLA
                      AF Oct 3 09
                      NF ? This weekend I'll shoot for
                      Sir Walter Scott

Comment

Working...
                      X