Bagpuss - after over 30yrs old.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bagpuss was on when we came home at lunchtime after playschool.. When I was about 3 or 4.
    Then it was nap time.
    This was my favourite program when I was little, and am so glad that Tartan remembers it too.
    Am attaching a pic of bagpuss - you will see Lizzie Mouse bottom middle.

Tartan - I was made up when you remembered the Mice Song - hee hee

This is the mouses' song ...

'' We will fix it. We willl mend it. We will make it clean clean clean " !!!
    Heave, Heave, Heave !!!!

And when Bagpuss goes to sleep, all of his friends go to sleep too.
    The mice are just ornaments on a mouse organ,
    Madeleine is just a rag doll.
    Gabriele - ( can't remember what they say about him - but is a frog who plays the mandolin.
    And Professor Yafell is just a carved wooden bookend in the shape of a Woodpecker. (yarp yarp yarp he used to say )

Bagpuss is a just an old cloth cat, saggy, and a bit loose at the seams....

But Emily loves Him. !!!

:heart: :heart: :heart:

aaah - they are doing re-runs now at about 4 am in the morn on a sky channel - not sure which one.... Attached files [img]/converted_files/3518=4-attachment.jpg[/img]
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Bambs aka Hydrogen

:h XXX :h

Now we're talkin.....Also partook in the Play school.....Fingermouse.....& do you remember Charlton and the wheelies?.....That witch bird was who lived in the kettle was one scary bitch...
    I don't care who you are...Your not walking on water while i'm fishing..
    One drink is too many... A thousand is never enough...Sober since July 2nd 2009

Comment

:H

Now - Question ...
      Was it Finger mouse - or Finger bobs.?
      Thay guy look like a geography teacher tho - wasnb't his name Snuffy or something?!!! - And the scampi thing used to make feel a little uneasy - guess we;'re back to my deep mis-trust of fishy things... I really am not a big Sea fan - ( unless I'm on a lilo bobbing around - or need a wee ( in desperated circumstances - then venture into the sea - but I'm sure little fishies poke me with their noses on puropse to freak me out... mid wee - Not Good !!!)
      It was Chorlton and the Wheelies - only know that cos there is a village near here called Chorlton - makes me snigger everytime we drive past the signpost !!!

Ooh - and the Moomins "eeeyyooooo" - that was an impression of their language.

My brothers fave was Mr Ben - who lived on Acacia Avenue... I always remember the one when he went through the fancy dress changing room door to find a dragon who had lost his fire - so he saved him with a box of matches - , and then when he got home, put the box of matches on his mantlepiece -
      ' Just to remind him '
      hee hee

Enjoyed that trip down memnory lane..

All other Uk- ers feel free to share your happy memories of ' after playgroupl ' times, before you had to go and have a nap.

Oh and talking of playschool - I pick the round window. !! And why did Floella Benjamin wear Polos for ear-rings?

Sorry if this is Gobbledy Gook to non Uk people.

Very therapeutic down here on Memory Lane.

Love Liz
      xxxxx

Bambs aka Hydrogen

Comment

Liz:

Your story on the BagPuss is great. Although I have never seen that show ever, I can relate.

I've been listening to several self-help and motivation programs on CD lately. One in particular has a whole section on making amends with ones child self.

I been taking time myself to try and rediscover some things from my childhood in the 1960's. Been trying to remember what things gave me excitement and happiness. The toys, the TV shows, anything.

I saw something on a TV show the other night that made some sense to me. A character in the show said that children have not developed the skills to deal with their emotions, but instead act out on them. In my case, drinking is a way of acting out on things that I could not deal with. So day to day, I find new ways of dealing with things, instead of drinking them away. Maybe the child in me was unhappy because I forgot all about him in the process of growing up, and becoming a working member of society.

With me, one thing I've been doing is riding my bicycle around out here just for fun. I've also bought some computer games to play when I get the time. Thats something I completely denied myself, thinking that playing such games was only for children. Its not much, but it makes a difference. That child inside all of us can raise quite a stink if it doesn't get it's way, and get some play time.

So I would say, watch those BagPuss shows! Make that kid happy again!

Comment

Xtexan

You have got me SO right there. I Know that myself, but never admitted it out loud to anyone.

Alcohol, brings me back to Liz - aged 6. Temper tantrum beause I couldn't get what I wanted. What sticks in my mind is when i had a tantrum in a shop in our village because my mum wouldn't buy me one of those REALLY bouncy balls. I made a right show.

And continue to do so to this day. I am a perfectly grown up person - but 2 or more ( once the second has gone down the neck - it's curtains for me to abstain then ) but I throw temper tantrums. It's not nice or pretty - and people misconstue it as me being nasty... It's just a little girl stamping her feet.

Thanks for your post... It consolidated a lot of thoughts regarding why I act as I do after drinking.

well it's obvious to everyone on here when I have had a drink - turn into naughty naughty little girl.

Love to you, and I read your posts and have acted upon your suggestions. I am glad you are here.

liz
          xxxx

Bambs aka Hydrogen

Comment

Liz:

Just a question here, and please take it with due consideration.

Did you ever buy yourself one of those "really bouncy balls". You know, it may seem trivial, but about 10 years ago, and I was 40 years old at the time, I saw a vending machine.

It was like one of those gumball machines, but it was filled with little superballs. They were 50 cents apiece. I saw a little boy, maybe 4 or 5 years old staring at all the brightly colored superballs. Well, I put 50 cents in and his face lit up, and I purposely let the ball fall out without catching it. The little boy ran after it, and got it. He was so happy. He brought it to me with a grin. I said he could have it, and he ran off to show his Mom who was at the checkout counter. He told his Mom, and he pointed at me. His Mom looked at me weird, but then I put more money into the machine, and got my own superballs. In fact, I bought 3 more with the quarters in my pocket. I hoped the Mom didn't think I was some sort of sick predator, but I left with my new toys.

I took them to work the next day, and threw them against the wall for a few weeks while I was thinking. I was doing my job of course, being a grown-up manager and all, but doing the handball thing with my new toys. I got it out of my system, and finally put them away for good. The child inside was satisfied.

So, the question still remains. Did you get yourself the bouncy ball??

Comment

Great thread, here! I have to think about what my child self needs!! I like to color, actually! Actually, I think that sewing is a grown up thing that also satisfies my child self, too, since I began sewing when I was about 8 or so!
              AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Good stories you guys! My moto used to be, work hard and play hard, but my form of play was drinking hard. Now I need to figure out a new way to play. Anyone up for a friendly game of dodge-ball, kickball or tag and then a nice hot tub!!
                new mantra - everyday in everyway I'm getting stronger and stronger...
                spacie

Comment

my mum bought me a wonderful waterpainting set, for my birthday in may. also she suggests knitting, or crocheting.... but i can't cast on so she is sending me some knitting needles with a casted on line !!!! and instructions on how to use a crochet hook !!!! isn't she lovely xxxx

Bambs aka Hydrogen

Comment

Great thoughts !!!!!, drinking really did become my "playtime"....an adult version of getting in the sandbox and throwing sand. Now I have to rack my brain to remember what playthings I enjoyed when young. The movie Toystory brought back some of those memories.....I've got to think......
                    Janet

Comment

Oh i used to like to paint no talent but that sounds like fun, I'd really like to learn how to knit or crochet, bought some yarn and needles, but the instructions tossed my cookie and threw me for a loop...ha.
                      I'd like to buy a new bike but want the kind that uses the pedal for the break. I have a cheap-o with the break on the handle bars but I have paranoid reflexes and pull the breaks by mistake - it's not a good thing.
                      Today I'm going to see if I can find some kind of Yoga or some fun stretching DVD. I used to think stretching was a waste of time but not anymore in fact beside walking it's about the only type of exercise that doesn't hurt my bones. I see where Madonna jumps rope 500 counts, and she's my age can you imagine!
                      Have fun today!!
                      spacie

Comment

Knitting/crocheting

I found some DVDs on knitting and crocheting by doing an internet search. Seeing it done helped me more than reading how to do it. I am now on every crafting mailing list in the world! If you are really interested in learning (I never thought I would get it) do a google search - there is plenty of help without spending money. one of the sights I go to is knittinghelp.com. It has little video clips that show you how to do things. I actually made a baby sweater that I was not ashamed to give as a gift!

Almost two years ago, I took it up and have not put it down. Another thing that has really peaked my interest is an organization called the Knitting Guild. I ran across the president in one of my Weight Watchers meetings, and I joined. We do a lot of charitable knitting - blankets and scarves, which aren't too hard to screw up! And it gives me something to do. We live in a desert, so there is not much need for knitted stuff.

It is truly a rewarding hobby and very easy once you get the resources you need.

Barb

Comment

W e bought a DVD of bagpuss this summer and despite being out of date the kids love it. My favourite is still the chocolate biscuit one.
                          Love from Suz
                          Suz
                          Happy to be sober since 07 Sept 09.

Comment

i have a huge grin on my face reading these - i went to a market on Sat. and purchased my very own blade scooter. my kids have one each and i just couldnt resist getting one for myself to go riding with them. i have decided at 4.30pm when i am starting to justify 'just one' that i will take the kids out for a race -
                            on the note of being kids, what about 'The munsters" ,

Comment

that's brill Suz ! they are out of date from the 1970's , no computer enhancements etc but the oldies are mostly the best.
                              my fave is the ballerina slipper episode - oooh, and the porquipine - who was in fact a pincushion, but had lost his pins !!!!

best children's programme ever.
                              Just found this for those who have no idea what we are going on about.

The Bagpuss Story

Bagpuss was devised and created by the brillliant minds of Oliver Postgate and Peter Firmin, who also created Noggin The Nog, The Clangers, Ivor the Engine and the Pogle's Wood.
                              Bagpuss was first shown in 1974 in Watch With Mother. Although only 13 episodes were made, Bagpuss was so popular that the series was repeated 27 times to successive generations.
                              In 1999 Bagpuss was named the country's favourite BBC children's programme of all time. Bagpuss beat off the challenge of modern TV programmes such as the Teletubbies.
                              Oliver Postgate wrote Bagpuss and provided some of the voices. Peter Firmin said: “I created the visual character of Bagpuss after I had the idea of a cat with visible thoughts, but it was Oliver who breathed life into Bagpuss”.
                              Emily, the little girl whose shop Bagpuss lived in, was played by Peter Firmin's seven year old daughter. Emily is now a 37-year-old artist living in Whitstable , Kent.
                              Emily Firmin said: “The magic of Bagpuss was that children want to be like Emily and live in a world surrounded by Bagpuss puppets rather than adults”.

In the series Emily would find a discarded object that needed repairing and bring it to Bagpuss. She would sing to wake Bagpuss and his friends – the Mice on the Mouse Organ, Madeleine the ragdoll, Gabriel the toad and Professor Yaffle, the distinguished old woodpecker. Whenever Emily found something that needed repairing Bagpuss would listen as his friends identified, discussed and repaired the object.

Bagpuss’ friend, Professor Yaffle thought himself the brains of the organisation, Gabriel lived on a tin and played his banjo, Madeleine never moved out of her wicker chair, and the six Mice played the Marvellous Mechanical Mouse Organ.

A telephone poll for a tribute programme to the BBC's children's output, called Are you Sitting Comfortably , shown on New Years day, saw Bagpuss attract a phenomenal 40,000 votes.

Today Bagpuss is as fresh in the minds of his original fans, and of successive generations who have embraced him, as he was all those years ago. Bagpuss is a true British classic which will always hold a special place in the heart of the nation.

And in my heart too. Brings smiles to me. XXX

Bambs aka Hydrogen

Comment

Working...
                              X