More reasons not to drink...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today I got in a car accident. It was 2pm and I was going to the bank during a break from lunch. As I crossed the second lane and was entering the bank I heard a loud thunderous noise as my car was impacted and spun in a 180 degree motion. It took me a second to realize that someone speeding had just crashed into me.

Ten days ago, I decided to do another 30 day AF stint (hopeful it will be more, but let's start there).

My point being is the very FIRST thing I thought of was "Thank God I hadn't been drinking." I didn't even mean that day, I meant in general, because if I was still drinking, no matter if it was the day before or even two, I would have thought it was my fault. My fault because I should be punished for my behavior. I was not hurt, although the speeder complained of injuries and the ambulance came to check him. I was regretful that my car looked like five miles of bad pavement but grateful to know that this was just something that happened that was not in my control.

Breaking it down, Al brings so many negative and detrimental emotions and we blame ourselves for things that were not our fault because of our shame and guilt. Typing this tonight on my 11th day AF I am grateful to be sober.
    AF since 2/4/10
    Nicotine free since 3/31/10
    FINALLY FREE

Thank God you are alright! :l
    I do understand what you mean by 'punished for your behavior' - no you were NOT. And congrats on your AF time, hon :l
    Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

Glad you are ok xxx
      Minnie x

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending - make yours a happy every after :l

Sober since 4 November :fingers:

Comment

Yes, that's great that you are ok.
        Congratulations on your 11 days!!
        Good for you!

DLA
        Of all vices, drinking is the most incompatible with greatness
        Sir Walter Scott
        --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

yikes! that's no fun Shirazgirl. indeed AL seems to latch onto our dysfunctions whatever they may be and magnify them.

Nice to catch you in chat tonight, and you too Drylifeahead.

hang in there peeps
          nosce te ipsum
          (Know Thyself)

Comment

Great post SG!

Congrats! And glad you are ok. I remember hearing on the news about a woman who was rear-ended and the victim was drunk and got a DUI! Now that is crazy.

Comment

So glad you are all right.

In some states just having alcohol in your system when a car accident happens can get you cited for driving impaired even when you're totally not at fault. Usually they'll dismiss it if your BAC isn't that high (like one drink in your system) but you'll still get the ticket that you have to fight. So...another good reason not to drink and drive.

Eve11
              "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

shirazgirl,
                I am so glad to know you came through the accident unharmed. What a relief it must have been to realize it wasn't your fault and you weren't drunk! Great job on 11 days AF.
                Maybe if you have any urge to drink in the next while you could try and imagine how today might have been different if you HAD been drinking. (the guilt, any legal problems...maybe a worse accident)
                Keep up the good work!

K
                Striving to live life without ALCOHOL

Comment

Shirazgirl...Good job on 11 days!
                  Glad you didn't get hurt. Things could have been so much worse.
                  Thank you for posting your thoughts. Alcohol does twist us every which way, huh?
                  When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.
                  -- Franklin D Roosevelt --

Comment

Thanks for your support guys.
                    AF since 2/4/10
                    Nicotine free since 3/31/10
                    FINALLY FREE

Comment

Shirazgirl,
                      Thank goodness you are uninjured and it is only the car.

I know what you mean as far as blaming the alcohol for everything that goes wrong in your life. I too feel such tremendous guilt and anxiety when I drink that anything that goes wrong is somehow my fault. It is so wonderful to start building the AF days and becoming emotionally stronger and healthier. Thanks for your comments, you have helped me on my journey.
                      Redhibiscus

Comment

Working...
                      X