Passing of time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Passing of time

I know I have been blessed in this life. A friend of a half century just called me, to let me know another of our wonderful childhood companions has just lost her father. I spent many nights at their home, and I was so jealous of my friends beautiful lavender bedroom. Mr. C.A. was an integral part of my childhood; I grew up in a town like Mayberry, where everyone knew everyone, their parents, their grandparents. It's like the ending of an era for me, and for the wonderful group, as we lose these people. My friend, who has just lost her Dad, is suffering from swiftly progressing MS, and that is even more difficult for me to watch than the loss of her father. We all need 'the village', and I see mine dropping away, it becomes harder to remember where I'm going. Then I realize, we are becoming the elders, the ones others look to, lean on, depend on for wisdom, and the pressure is greater. I choose to look at it as a chance to be the ones those coming after me remember, in a good way.

I realize many of you do not share my spiritual beliefs. That's OK. But for any who would like to share their prayers and thoughts, right now we are mourning. The passing of a vibrant, interesting man; the suffering of his daughter, my friend; and the ending of another era that will pass into history.

Thank you, friends.
    sigpic
    Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
    awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Passing of time

That's so true, Rubes. We are becoming the elders, aren't we? I send my thoughts and prayers to your friend. Love, Krigs
    "People usually fail when they are on the verge of success. So give as much care to the end as to the beginning." Lao-Tzu

Comment

Passing of time

BTW, as I've said we all have a history together. My friend told me once when we were children, her late Dad and his brother, as teens, were fishing together on the local river when their boat overturned, and they were drowning. Another fisherman who was nearby saw the accident, and could only see 2 curly heads bobbing in the water. He reached for the first one, and it turned out to be her father. His brother was drowned. It's a story that has stayed with me, the feeling that he had a purpose in his life thru fate.
      sigpic
      awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Passing of time

Oh Ruby, my prayers are with you and your friend!!!

Big hugs :l:l:l
        sigpicXXX

Comment

Passing of time

Thank you, Krigs and BB. Off to get myself ready.
          sigpic

Comment

Passing of time

Ruby, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your friend.

God has a purpose for all of us in life, we just need to make sure that our eyes are open enough to see it sometimes, right? I'd like to think that God put you right where you are to be a source of comfort and strength for your friend, and an inspiration to those around you who look up to you.
            Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

Passing of time

Thank you, AA. As crazy as I can be, I have a very, very deep side, and what you say means something to me, because I know my friend needs me tonight. The wonder of these connections is that, for better or worse, they are always there.
              sigpic

Comment

Passing of time

:groupluv:

Comment

Passing of time

Ruby I find your posts here very touching and it is never easy at times like this. It seems to me that the older we get the faster time seems to pass. You and your friend are in my thoughts and prayers.
                  Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Passing of time

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your friend Ruby....
                    Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
                    Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Passing of time

Ruby, sending love and prayers to you and your friend :l

Comment

Passing of time

my prayes and thoughts are with you and yours
                        :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
                        best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

Passing of time

Thank you all. This will be difficult. I've known this man and his family since I was a child, and, warts and all, he is part of my 'family of man'. I'm getting ready to go to Mr. C.A.'s viewing. The birds have filled all the trees around us, singing their songs and talking to each other. It will be a good night.
                          sigpic

Comment

Passing of time

UPDATE: I went to the viewing later than our other friends. My friend and I were able to sit and talk, and really reconnect. Her MS was so apparently worse; her hands shake constantly and she uses a cane just to stand. This was the girl that from 5 years old was our icon of beauty. We all aspired to be like her; she was so beautiful, could sing in public, had a modern (then) house and that gorgeous lavendar bedroom (with a canopy bed!). Yes, she was a little bit of a snob then, but only she could do it in a way you couldn't hate her for. Now, tho she's still physically beautiful, it's her inner beauty that shines. She will always be that little girl with the golden curls in my heart, and her daddy is the dark-haired, mustached, handsome man of my youth. As tlrgs said, things change, but it seems to me the bad memories fade so much more quickly, eclipsed by those frozen moments in time when life was simple and beautiful. She will always be that beautiful, singing girl, and I love her.
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X