Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm commiting: need help and advice

Hi All.

I've been "visiting" this site for about 1 1/2 years. I had one 30 day AF month, but fell back. Recently, I had 10 days AF, but after that, right back to 1 1/2 bottles of wine a day. Why????

Things got worse when I was laid off last August after 20 years in pharmaceuticals. I also turned 50 that October. Not trying to "blame" it on anything, but I sort of feel like the "old gray mare" (put out to pasture). I used to only drink after 5:30 (when I got home from work) but now I'm home all day, so I start early...

I tried Topomax, but couldn't tolerate it. I've ordered Bac, and hoping it gets here soon. Chronic anxiety seems to be trigger (I feel anxious even when I don't have a reason to).

Just a few questions:
    Does anyone know where to get powdered L glutamine (I'm in Canada). Sounds like it works better than the caps.

May I join the NOvember AF group?

Where is the Tool Kit everyone talks about (sorry, I'm bright, but not computer savvy...loads of fun at my expense at the dinner table).

I've tried to do this on my own, but it's not working. I'm too afraid to go to AA.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    :thanks:
    B
    Anything I can Believe, I can Achieve!

Welcome, Believer. I can't help you much on your questions (I'm a computer idiot!) but as far as I know you are welcome in any group on the site. All you need is the desire to make a change. I would consider talking to my doc about the anxiety if I were you - it may be something medication can help, and, having just turned 58, I understand the changes in your mind and body that can make our lives even more miserable. Hang in there, hon. There is much wisdom in this place, as well as support and acceptance. We all understand your battle, and nothing is to far out there to ask or express (well, ALMOST nothing. LOL) Glad you're here.
    Rubes
    sigpic
    Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
    awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Hi believer and welcome,

If you go down to the section "goals", within that is a section "monthly abstinence" and in there is "toolbox" right at the top.

It's easy to fall back isn't it, but you are making a good decision by coming here. A solid plan seems to be the key to the successes here, that and making sobriety the number one goal. I've had 77 days AF myself here and finding it a little difficult to get back into being AF. I see over and over again the importance of a plan, and I thought I had one, but I didn't really, my plan was not to drink and that isn't enough.

The very best of luck to you.
      I love you, I'm sorry, please forgive me, thank you.

Comment

Thanks everyone.
        I found the Tool Box...great info.
        Still wondering where to get L glutamine in powdered form. I am going to search the net, but prefer a "reference".

Trying to "set myself up for success" by having a real plan this time!!!

Comment

Keep coming back here as much as you can, and jump into the conversations. There is also a very lively group on chat most nights around 9:00 PM EST (New York, Miami, Washington DC time). Everyone talks about everything, and laughs abound!
          sigpic
          Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
          awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Thanks Ruby.

Most of my life, I've been a very solitary person. I'm now realizing what a help "community" can be!

I'll try chat tonight!

Comment

Hi there Believer
              I buy my L Glut powder online at vitacost.com.It's the cheapest way for me but if I run low then GNC health store also stock it.
              Hope this helps

Comment

:welcome:

Hi Believer,

You are making the right choice - to post here. The community support is fantastic!

I got my L-glut powder from my local healthstore in South Africa.

Good luck, stay close and :goodjob: on having a plan!

Comment

Hi!

Thanks for the info. In fact, I have a "card" for GNC (I bought a funky message (sp?) chair for Christmas last year, so I got a bunch of points). I'll try both.

B:thanks:

Comment

Hi Sunbird.

Think we cross posted! Thanks for the response!

PS. Is that a South African Bird? I lived in Liberia when I was young...beautiful birds in abundance!

Comment

Hi Believer! You've probably found the Toolbox thread by now but in case not, here is a direct link. https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html

I can relate to much of what you say. I am 51. I spent many years in Big Corporate Life and there was a lot of pressure, uncertainly and ugliness (and drunkeness!) there at the end. You may find that your anxiety improves just by getting rid of the booze. I was surprised to find that AL CAUSED a lot of the problems it was supposedly solving for me - stress, anxiety, etc.

Anyway - I can also relate to you saying that you can't do this alone. I couldn't either. I'm so grateful to everyone here at MWO because I probably would be dead right now if I hadn't found this welcoming community. Sobriety rocks, and if I can do it, I know you can do it too.

Strength and hope,

DG
                      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Hi DG!

Thanks for the response. I am going to try to put together a personal tool box and use it! I just turned 51 a week ago. Congratulations to you...I wish I could go for 31 days AF, let alone as long as you! Anyway, gives me hope!

Comment

Hey Believer- I'm doing NO-Bender. Would love to have you along for the ride/support/accountability.

xo

Comment

Hi There, I am from the province of Quebec also; I am in the Outaouais. Work in Ottawa, live in Quebec. There's a store called Nutrichem in Ottawa that may supply it. I am heading over there at lunch time. By the way I turned 53 in October so we've got that in common too. I'll report back.
                            Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
                            ? Lao-Tzu

Comment

Believer, just take it one day at a time. You will be AMAZED at what you are capable of if you make it your #1 priority. To me, NOTHING but nothing is more important in my life than my sobriety. I will do whatever it takes to keep it. Being sober is what makes the rest of my life possible. (and it's a good life now!!) Staying sober one day at a time gets easier with time. But I can never afford to get complacent and forget my addiction, or it will come right back alive and kick my butt.

The journey is not always easy, but it is ALWAYS worth it.

Hey - that No-Bender thing sounds like fun!!!!

DG
                              Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                              Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Working...
                              X