H1N1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H1N1

Hey LVT,,I've been told there is a three day incubation..like any other "bug". Your exposed, then three days later you feel sick. If you get vaccinated after exposure, you will most likely still get sick.
    I agree with all of you, it is a hard, scary decision to make especially if you are making it for children. I have done a lot of reading and talking to "professionals". The flu shot has been around for a long time. They usually guess as to what the strain of the flu will be upon us for the year. This year, it is very specified to the h1n1 flu. So I think that is really the only difference is that this year they KNOW. Apparently the process to prepare a vaccine is a standard process. They isolate the virus and then put it into production. There is always rigorous quality checks. They rushed it into production because they needed many more than usual and earlier than usual.

It is true that older people may have natural antibodies to this flu. Apparently if you were born before '57 you may have been exposed to the Spanish flu which is very similar to this one. Anyone after that could be at risk. That being said,,,99.9% of the people who are exposed to this flu will feel very sick then get better. End of story. These people don't make the headlines, the deaths like that poor little boy Uni referred to make the headlines and scare the crap out of us parents.

I had no intention of getting my kids this vaccine, but I have changed my mind. I just know, in the event one of my kids gets this flu, I will feel horribly if there was something I could have done to prevent it and spare them this illness or possibly worse. Please know I am in no way an alarmist. I use medications only when absolutely necessary and sparingly. I fretted about every vaccine given to them even the tried and true ones everyone is required to receive.

Just my 2 cents.,,,I know it's scary and controversial and I do believe it is everyone's option to do what is best for you and your family....take care and keep healthy everyone!~
    Every day is not 100%, however, it is 100% better than my best day of drinking..

Comment

H1N1

education is the key. this is lengthy but worth the time:

H1N1 Swine Flu Articles, News and Information

why is the CDC no longer type-testing H1N1 from other 'flu-like' illness?

and now we learn that the young folks deaths were directly related to pre existing neurological disorders....but the CDC is still selling such deaths as a 'H1N1 death' which is a lie. why?

i will not be getting the vaccine myself.
      nosce te ipsum
      (Know Thyself)

Comment

H1N1

Just another note: vaccine is not available at all in our county yet, but have found the nasal mist in next county and made appointment to take my 7, 12, and 16 y/o granddaughters tomorrow. Am I worried? Yes. But I also can't stand the thought of them getting critically ill, or worse. Just our decision. We all do what's best for ourselves and our loved ones.
        For more info you can go to the CDC website.
        sigpic
        Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
        awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

H1N1

I am going to toss in my tupence on this topic. These days, we can search the net and get many points of view on any topic.
          My husband is a Dr. and he works at the largest hospital in Denver. He is one of the docs manning the
          H1N1 clinic. Why are they no longer testing everyone with symptoms? Because this would be very expensive, time consuming and at the end of the day testing in mass does nothing towards treatment.

H1N1 is very similar to the Spanish Flu in that in some patients, it destroys the lung tissue itself, in turn, many other internal organs beging to shut down. Internal bleeding out is common in advanced cases, this is exactly why Spanish Influenza killed so many in the early part of the 20th century.

I am a very wholistic thinker, I have studied and used homeopathy, herbal remedies, aromatherapy as well as many other wholistic practices for over 30 years. I honestly believe in complimentary medicine. There are times that Alopathic medicine and preventative steps are truly the wisest choice. I do want my pregnant daughter and my granddaughters to get the vaccine. I will also get the vaccine when it is available to the general public. My husband, has already been given the vaccine due to treating the public, medicaly.

Det....I care for you but, I think posts like the one above....that make strong statements like this, lead to confusion and fear, without adaquate back up.
          A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

H1N1

Kate, my daughter is a CNP/CNM, and also very involved in a healthy lifestyle for her family, but she completely believes in the necessity of this shot for her family, too. (She worked and studied at the CDC when she was at Emory University Hospital). Again, this is a personal decision for everyone, and requires us to do our own research and draw our own conclusions. I wish everyone health and safety in your choices.
            sigpic
            Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
            awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

H1N1

This is a toughie for us parents. I have friends that are public health nurses and they highly recommended we have our kids vaccinated. I signed them up for the vaccination at school next week and hubby had an absolute fit! He listens to the news and I've got to say, they do blow things out of proportion so it makes it really hard to know what to do/believe! So, I ask a friend what she is doing for her daughter and she agrees with hubby--let the natural fighters do their job. My question is also: if they have already been exposed to the virus--will the vaccination do any good anyway? I think the risks are there, but rare, as with any vaccine. But the concern is here the way the vaccine is being manufactured and the push to get it out in a hurry...there could be issues there.

I did not know about the 2nd coming of the flu. That is a concern to me. Of course my kids don't want the shot.....

The stories of these healthy kids dying scares the crap out of me! Oh, the joys of parenthood. I suppose I will have to go with hubby on this one, but I already told him he can take off work to take care of them when they get sick. Which of course I won't let him do because I am a mom!

Thanks for starting this Uni--
              The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

H1N1

Kate, without adequate backup? I'm confused. please check out the link and see the backup. it's there! and it raises more questions than answers.
                nosce te ipsum
                (Know Thyself)

Comment

H1N1

Det,
                  I did check your link....this website is sponsored by a Dr. Mercola, a D.O with a private practice in IL. It was annoying that whilst attempting to read the articles I kept getting a pop-up to subcribe to his newsletter. What I found from reading through these articles were various bits of "news" articles, with the opinions of this Dr. Mercola dispersed throughout. I do not consider this Dr. Mercola to be the ultimate authority.

There is a woman that has been shown on nearly every news program who claims that she has serious neurological problems after recieving the seasonal flu vaccine. (I cannot rember her name). She is the one that has great difficulty walking, yet appears quite normal when running. On the news last night, they did quote her neurologist as saying that she has an underlying neurological disorder.

Everyone has a right to make their own decisions as to what choices they will make concerning their own medical care. But, I do have great concerns when layman, make statements regarding public health that go against the standard for care, based on opinion, based on limited knowlege.
                  A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

H1N1

sorry, cross posted. I was going to say what Det did.
                    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

H1N1

irrelevant
                      Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Comment

H1N1

i think kate is right, it is a site about that dr's philosophy and opinion, and he picked and chose studies to back his opinions.
                        if the cdc is so evil, how did they manage to wipe out polio? what about small pox? it seems there are people who really care about people's lives and welfare working out there in science land.
                        i guess if you get sick and infect me, i'll see how my body deals with it...survival of the fittest!

fuck cancer research, piss on finding a cure fr anything, they're all out to get us!!!!!

with a wink...

Comment

H1N1

I hope that was a real wink, peacenik... it's not always so easy to tell.

Comment

H1N1

peacenik;747180 wrote:
                            fuck cancer research, piss on finding a cure fr anything, they're all out to get us!!!!!

with a wink...
                            LOL!!!

I have never had a serious dose of flu and rarely get a common cold so I was not going to bother with the H1N1. On an unrelated visit to my GP yesterday she asked if I wanted the vaccine (free of charge in Oz) and I declined stating that I felt I had a fairly robust immune system. She said "that's good, this is about the people who aren't so lucky, very young children in particular".

I accepted. She thanked me for doing a service for the community.

Just passing on my experience ...

(no correspondence will be entered in to)

Comment

H1N1

i'm also wondering about advanced stage alcoholics who's immune systems are compromised...might be quite irresponsible to reccommend them not getting the vaccine...

Comment

H1N1

I hate that I am afraid. I am afraid to GET the vaccine, and I am afraid to NOT GET the vaccine. Oh well, one of them will be the wrong choice. Hopefully it doesn't end up being the one I THOUGHT was right.:upset:
                                Striving to live life without ALCOHOL

Comment

Working...
                                X