H1N1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H1N1

Not al related but in light of recent events just curious.

I was not planning on vacinating my child or myself.

Then this week a 13 year old healthy boy in our neighbourhood died from the virus within 48 hours. No real symptoms - headache, fever, felt crappy, went to the clinic and they sent him home saying he was fine. 36 hours later he was dead. 13. Healthy. Not at high risk.

I am of mixed opinions. Part of me is like "it's just a regular flu with a different name". Part of me is like WTF is this that a 13 year old healthy child died. Part of me is like is everyone freaking over nothing.

The schools here are at 25% capacity - they are sending any child with any symptoms (ie: a small cough) home.

They are creating an epidimic.

What are your thoughts? Help me out here.
    Every day is a day to start over and remember that I am powerless over my addiction. I will no longer give the BEAST any power over me - he can go straight to hell.
    :h

H1N1

Hi Uni, I am in a quandry too. I have been offered both the flu jab (which I have had) and the swine flu jab which I havent had. I have heard that the vaccination can have side effects?
    Not really any advice, just more questions really....
    Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
    Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

H1N1

That's my concern is that the H1N1 vaccination doesn't have enough evidence to support no side effects yet......
      Every day is a day to start over and remember that I am powerless over my addiction. I will no longer give the BEAST any power over me - he can go straight to hell.
      :h

Comment

H1N1

Uni...........If you can get it......get it ! My Daughter's best friend just died from it ! 18 yrs. old. Such a waste of life........IAD
        ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
        those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
        Dr. Seuss

Comment

H1N1

I know only one man personally who has contracted the actual H1N1 virus. He was fine, but apparently we're on the verge of a second wave of infection that will be worse than the first, which statistically (and I'm only basing this on what I've read in the more serious newspapers) wasn't very bad at all, compared to normal flu mortality rates.
          Like IAD says, if you can get a jab then get it. I'll not be going out of my way to get one though. Just my personal choice. I don't take anything except sensible precautions unless I absolutely must. I try and let my immune system strengthen itself naturally, avoiding anti-biotics and the like, and I'm rarely ill and not in the 'at risk' group, though we're all at risk of something simply by waking up in the morning.
          The powers-that-be will always want to give the impression of doing there utmost to save the world, while really just wanting normality so they can keep us all at work, causing no trouble and bringing in the taxes, but that's maybe an arguement for another day.

Comment

H1N1

But what about the side effects?
            I have heard that the jab can be linked to Guillain Barr Syndrome?

Comment

H1N1

Swine flu jab link to killer nerve disease: Leaked letter reveals concern of neurologists over 25 deaths in America | Mail Online

I didn't know about this but it seems that there's always going to be a downside; a risk involved and we'll not know if it's worth it until afterwards.
              I'm sorry if I'm not much help but I never know what to believe on the news anymore so I don't believe any of it unless I have first hand experience, which in this case I don't.

Comment

H1N1

The powers-that-be will always want to give the impression of doing there utmost to save the world, while really just wanting normality so they can keep us all at work, causing no trouble and bringing in the taxes, but that's maybe an arguement for another day.
                This is so true!

I know a few people in my work had the swine flu, being in contact with different people all day. But i know if i did get it, my work would still want me to come in yep they just want us all at work.
                Formerly known as Teardrop:l
                sober dry since 11th Jan '2010' relapse/slip on 23/7/13 working in progress ! Sober date 25/7/13 ( True learning has often followed an eclipse, a time of darkness, but with each cycle of my recovery, the light grows stronger and my vision is clearer. (AA)
                my desire to avoid hitting bottom again was more powerful then my desire to drink !

Comment

H1N1

I also heard that the older you are the less risky it is.....for once I am glad of my age :-)

Comment

H1N1

Every drug and every vaccination has some side effects and I understand the risk of GB is minimal. There is an epidemic of H1n1 and it will get alot worse Nov Dec and January. Pregnant women, healthy children and those with underlying illnesses are most vulnerable. Ultimately we all are vulnerable and in my book we should all take the vaccination. The world health organisation, centre for disease control in Atlanta all reccomend that it is best practice. These guys are not just a few people having a few pints, they are well researched organisations and there reccomendations generally are taken seriously. This flu has been compared with the 1918 flu when millions of people died world wide. Anyway, that is my tuppence worth, sorry if I sounded all preachy! am not just that I know a little bit about it.

Comment

H1N1

Thanks Irish.
                      I guess I am just scared. But I will think about it again.

Comment

H1N1

startingover;746815 wrote: Thanks Irish.
                        I guess I am just scared. But I will think about it again.
                        'Feel the fear and do it anyway' Starty that is my motto. I can wait to get it. They have just started vaccinating the vulnerable here so it will be another two weeks.

Comment

H1N1

I'm getting it (high risk) and several of my grands already have, as well as daughter and SIL (both in health care). About 100 normally healthy US children have already died from this. Yes, there is some over reaction, some misinformation, some risk from the vaccine, but I've had the full-blown flu during the early '80's, and nearly died. I personally knew 5 people who did die. I also blame that episode for weakening me physically. It's not an experience I believe I would survive again. I make no recommendations - it's a personal decision. But I've been following this because as Paul said, this second wave is the one that is the killer. The flu has mutated. At highest risk are children and pregnant women, and those with pre-existing conditions. So, please, get the information and make an informed decision. Plus, AL may have weakened your natural immune system.
                          sigpic
                          Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
                          awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

H1N1

We are going through our second wave of outbreak now. There is 25% of the high school population out with it. I don't want to panic, and I am holding it in, but this owrries me. It is fear of the unknown, I know, but it is fear none-the-less.
                            I also am not sure about getting the vaccine. Is it researched enough. Is it safe? So many questions that I know don't have definate answers.
                            I want to make the right choice. I am just not sure what that is right now!
                            Striving to live life without ALCOHOL

Comment

H1N1

This is a toughie for us parents. I have friends that are public health nurses and they highly recommended we have our kids vaccinated. I signed them up for the vaccination at school next week and hubby had an absolute fit! He listens to the news and I've got to say, they do blow things out of proportion so it makes it really hard to know what to do/believe! So, I ask a friend what she is doing for her daughter and she agrees with hubby--let the natural fighters do their job. My question is also: if they have already been exposed to the virus--will the vaccination do any good anyway? I think the risks are there, but rare, as with any vaccine. But the concern is here the way the vaccine is being manufactured and the push to get it out in a hurry...there could be issues there.

I did not know about the 2nd coming of the flu. That is a concern to me. Of course my kids don't want the shot.....

The stories of these healthy kids dying scares the crap out of me! Oh, the joys of parenthood. I suppose I will have to go with hubby on this one, but I already told him he can take off work to take care of them when they get sick. Which of course I won't let him do because I am a mom!

Thanks for starting this Uni--
                              The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Working...
                              X