H1N1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H1N1

keeta;747241 wrote: I hate that I am afraid. I am afraid to GET the vaccine, and I am afraid to NOT GET the vaccine. Oh well, one of them will be the wrong choice. Hopefully it doesn't end up being the one I THOUGHT was right.:upset:
    Keeta, dont make any decision right now, just put a distance between u and your confusion for a little while, the correct answer for you will come.

Comment

H1N1

I will probably take the vaccine when it becomes available where I live to the general public. I agree with vaccinating the at risk population first. With my traveling, though, and all the grandchildren in and out of my house, I feel it is wise for me to get vaccinated so I am not a danger to them.

Apparently my state is getting short-changed on the Pig Flu vaccine, so I may not have an option anyway.

Vaccines all have inherent risks and I am concerned about this one, I am afraid it has been rushed to production without proper testing.

On the other hand, we may be asking more of WHO and the CDC and the pharmaceutical companies than is possible? Give us the vaccine, in time, and make it safe? In my business we talk about the three-legged stool. The legs are fast, cheap, good. You can have two of the legs but not all three.

My brother took the vaccine back in the 70s and six months later was in a coma from Type-1 Diabetes. (He was 27 at the time.) Walter Reed told him that it may have been because of the vaccine. But, I have another friend who came down with Type-1 Diabetes from getting a virus. Not a vaccination.

Life can be cruel. I hope all of us and our families who do get H1N1 survive it well and my heart goes out to those who have lost loved ones to this flu.

As an aside, I have a letter hubby's mother wrote about the Spanish Flu when it hit in the early 1900s. It devastated her little town in Wyoming. Many died that year. Yes, life can be cruel and sometimes there is nothing we can do to change that.

Cindi
      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

H1N1

We don't even have enough of the vaccine in my area for those at risk. By the time there is enough for the general public, the flu season will probably be over. It doesn't look like I will even get a chance to make a decision about whether to get it or not.
        AF since 7/26/2009

"There is nothing noble in being superior to other man. The true nobility is being superior to your previous self."--Hindu proverb.

"Sobriety isn't a landing but rather a journey." anonymous

Comment

H1N1

I wouldn't be half as suspicious but the pharmaceutical lobby is the largest highest paying lobby in DC and they expect big results as all lobbyists do.

and regarding late term alcoholics: this raises more questions than answers as well. We already have questions and concerns about the vaccines safety in healthy folks....so are we helping or harming?

I don't see how knee-jerk sarcasm like 'f*ck cancer research' is helpful here. Many large agencies with heavy ties to private industry do both good and bad work through the years depending on a multitude of variables and administrative changes, but we MUST maintain our vigilance and question authority for our own benefit. Just because they are a Federal agency and wear white lab coats on TV does not make them somehow righteous. The extent the average person is 'researching' this issue is just watching the propaganda box in their living room. That's just not good enough for me.
          nosce te ipsum
          (Know Thyself)

Comment

H1N1

It is unfortunate that corruption and greed are every where, in every business. We have had all too many examples of this of late. From builders using cheap toxic dry wall from China in home building to Guru's who promise unbelievable profits from investing (Bernie Madoff), to the promises of Self Enlightenment, which lead to 3 deaths and numerous others hospitalized (James Arthur Ray). Then there is the controversy with Suzanne Sommers speaking out regarding Chemo Therapy.

I agree with you Determinator, we do have to be informed and aware, whenever we have choices to make. Medicine is not a perfect science. Most definitely, we need to be as well informed as possible on any and all choices that we make when it comes to the health of ourselves and our loved ones. We must always consider and research, ask questions and come to the best decisions. Quite often, there is no perfect choice, without the risk of side affects.

With that being said, I also believe as Peacenick said, that we must also use critical thinking. We must know who the source of the information is....if they are taking an alternate view point, where is their research and what is their motivation? What is their proof? Most of all is their information more accurate than others?

As for H1N1 we must all consider the risks on both sides, the risk of contracting the disease vs taking the vaccine. It is a serious and very personal choice.
            A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

H1N1

Well said Kate. Most people here are not old enough to remember when polio was such a deadly scourge, or tuberculosis. Vaccines have almost erased them. But I had an uncle who died of TB, and his wife then spent 4 years in a state hospital for treatment, and was weak the rest of her life. As soon as she came home, her only son contracted polio, and survived but was disabled after a long illness. Another uncle was permanently crippled by it. Old cemetaries are full of tiny graves of children who died from measles, smallpox, chickenpox, tetanus, whooping cough, things we don't even think about now. Politics and corruption will always be a part of the medical industry, because of the money to be made. But we can't throw out the baby with the bath water. As I've said before, and others, too, we must be informed and make a personal decision. In any case, it is ourselves who will live with the consequences, not the government.
              sigpic
              Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
              awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

H1N1

+ 1 Ruby

Comment

H1N1

I have made my appointment to have mine on 10th December.
                  My reasoning is my underlying health problems (asthma) and the work I do with people whose immune system may be compromised.
                  Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
                  Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

H1N1

Interesting thread, just to say when vaccination was introduced in this country for TB many people declined due to suspicion, despite the fact that thousands had died from the dreaded disease, same with Polio and many more people died young and healthy. Obviously there is an inherent doubt in the psyche that the cure is worse than the disease. I suppose for the people who have a reaction to the vaccinations (which are minimal in comparison to the people who die)one could say they should not have it. On the other hand, I believe it is important to emphasise that much research has gone into this vaccine and all precautions that can be taken are taken. I do not believe that the CDC or WHO would be irresponsible enough to introduce suboptimal vaccines. I believe that we all have a responsbility to look at the facts and make an educated decision in what we decide. There are many myths out there regarding the vaccine e.g. introduced too quickly. I dont believe for a second that the CDC or WHO would be so irresponsible to allow a product on the market if they thought it would have a negative effect on health. As I said on a previous thread there will be reactions to the vaccine but very minimal in comparison to the death rates from the flu.

Comment

H1N1

I should declare my interest in all of this as well as being a nurse , my grandfather who was a gp had 8 children during the TB ourbreak in ireland. He decided that his eldest daughters who were 20,18 and 17 should not have the vaccine as he was concerned it might be detrimental to their health and there were no such researched advisory bodys as WHO or CDC at that time. He had five younger children, one of whom was my dad. The three eldest of the family who were not vaccinated succumbed to the disease and unforunately died the others who were vaccinated lived. I am not sure if we are going this route but all I can say that we should err in the side of caution.

Comment

H1N1

Irish, I'm very sorry to hear of the losses in your family from TB. There is no doubt that some types of vaccinations have saved many lives.

One of the things I personally think about with H1N1 is that it is not a new disease. It is another strain of the flu, of which there are many many new strains of flu all the time. But it's still a flu. One of the concerns with the rush to market and (IMO) minimal testing is that I have not been convinced that the strain in the vaccine is even the right one. There are just many unknowns with this vaccine that comes in a shot with some pretty serious toxins.

Interesting discussion though and it's nice that people are keeping it respectful on all sides. To me, that allows for healthy sharing of information that benefits all.

DG
                        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                        Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

H1N1

Doggygirl;747643 wrote: Irish, I'm very sorry to hear of the losses in your family from TB. There is no doubt that some types of vaccinations have saved many lives.

One of the things I personally think about with H1N1 is that it is not a new disease. It is another strain of the flu, of which there are many many new strains of flu all the time. But it's still a flu. One of the concerns with the rush to market and (IMO) minimal testing is that I have not been convinced that the strain in the vaccine is even the right one. There are just many unknowns with this vaccine that comes in a shot with some pretty serious toxins.

Interesting discussion though and it's nice that people are keeping it respectful on all sides. To me, that allows for healthy sharing of information that benefits all.

DG
                          Doggygirl, appreciate your reply, I never knew my aunties although they were there in spirit all of the time. I am aware it is the flu, however, it is a pandemic and one that the WHO and CDC have been preparing for quite some time. It is not an ordinary flu which would make it very simplistic, The information analyzed by CDC supports the conclusion that 2009 H1N1 flu has caused greater disease burden in people younger than 25 years of age than older people. At this time, there are relatively fewer cases and deaths reported in people 65 years and older, which is unusual when compared with seasonal flu. However, pregnancy and other previously recognized high risk medical conditions from seasonal influenza appear to be associated with increased risk of complications from this 2009 H1N1These underlying conditions include asthma, diabetes, suppressed immune systems, heart disease, kidney disease, neurocognitive and neuromuscular disorders and pregnancy. In other words this flu is different...

Comment

H1N1

If I can get the shot, I will. I'm not worried about dying; I'm not in any high risk groups. My concern is that I want my daughter to get the shot. She is 20 and lives on a huge college campus. I will be begging, pleading, demanding, whining and threatening to cut her out of my will to get her to get it. She is 20, and I have no control over her actions. She still thinks that she is invincible.

It's hard to know what to believe about the government sometimes, but I'm definitely willing to take my chances on this one. I just hope we have enough vaccine to go around.

Just my two cents.
                            AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

H1N1

Knowledge is power.
                              I am definately information gathering at this point.
                              Thank you all for sharing your thoughts, your knowledge and your choices, and why you made them. It helps me a lot.
                              Striving to live life without ALCOHOL

Comment

H1N1

This is so wonderful that someone started this thread! I have been reading and absorbing it for so long, I can't even remember who to thank, but Thank you!!!!!

Everyone has presented great arguments for boths sides, but I am with Keeta, I am afraid to and afraid not to. I have had 2 of 3 kids off for the week, and I honestly believe that my oldest had the virus. She had all the symptoms and now, finally is feeling better. My kids school's population is 500, we had 110 away last week per day, and 8 teachers! I wonder if that is fear? Normally people would have sent their kids.....but under the recent circumstances.....not so much.

I realize that those most effected are children, and women in the 30's, unfortunately, I am 38. Even us being of age, I am still very fearful to vaccinate us.
                                AF July 6 2014

Comment

Working...
                                X