HFA-High Functioning Alcoholic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi everyone..I missed the Oprah show that discussed this on Tuesday, but on oprah.com there is great information...I copied the part that describes me to a "T",,and probably many others here. For me, the problem really came to a head this past summer when the "high functioning" part started to dissipate and was replaced by a lazy, good for nothin, sick, unattractive, unsocial, non productive, terrible wife and mother. Hope this helps someone....

Q: How do you define a high-functioning alcoholic? What are the signs people should look for in themselves and in loved ones?

A: A high-functioning alcoholic (HFA) is an alcoholic who is able to maintain his or her outside life, such as a job, home, family and friendships, all while drinking alcoholically. HFAs have the same disease as the stereotypical "skid row" alcoholic, but it manifests or progresses differently. Many HFAs are not viewed by society as being alcoholic, because they have succeeded and overachieved throughout their lifetimes. These achievements often lead to an increase in personal denial as well as denial from colleagues and loved ones. HFAs are less apt to feel that they need treatment for their alcoholism and often slide through the cracks of the healthcare system, both medically and psychologically, because they are often not diagnosed.

HFAs can exhibit different drinking patterns and warning signs at various phases of their drinking. Common warning signs include, but are not limited to:

* Experiencing a craving for more alcohol after having one drink, leading to a loss of control over alcohol intake
    * Obsessing about alcohol and the next time they can drink
    * Not being able to imagine their lives without alcohol
    * Feeling shame and remorse from drunken behavior
    * Having failed attempts to control drinking
    * Surrounding themselves with others who drink heavily
    * Compulsively finishing alcoholic drinks?even someone else's
    * Being skilled at living a compartmentalized life in terms of separating their drinking lives from their professional/family lives
    * Making excuses for their drinking or using alcohol as a reward for their hard work
    * Thinking that drinking expensive alcohol or wine implies they are not alcoholic
    * Hiding alcohol consumption by sneaking alcohol before a social event or drinking alone
    * Drinking despite adverse consequences (either emotional or physical)
    * Experiencing blackouts or memory lapses
    Every day is not 100%, however, it is 100% better than my best day of drinking..

Very interesting info there Tassimo, thanks. I think I'll head to the Oprah site.
    Bridget.
    If your 8 year old self met you, would they be proud?
    Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

It always amazes me how people remain high functioning for YEARS! I started drinking and hit the bottom quick. I didn't lose my job, but I lost a lot before I thought it might be a good idea to sober my butt up. I actually read a chart the other day at work (I am in the medical field) and the guy drank 3-4 cocktails each night. He was an alcoholic by all definitions...but, had lived this way for 50+ years and was very successful so no one ever thought he might be an alcoholic. He had cirrohosis.... struck me so funny. Why had he never thought drinking 3-4 glasses of scotch on the rocks was harmful???
      Forever loved, forever missed Papa Bear

Comment

Here's a link to the web site for the expert who appeared on Oprah.

High Functioning Alcoholic - Home

Some good info and resources.
        If your 8 year old self met you, would they be proud?
        Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

I'm going to look into that Oprah site too. I fit the majority of the HFA warning signs. Never lost my job, never got picked up for DUI since I mostly drank at home by myself and knew not to drink and drive. Maintained a full time job, running a home, cooked everyday......guess I was lucky in some respects.

Glad that part of the rat race is over.

Winefree

Comment

Working...
          X