seeking info on V.A. hospitals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

perhaps this is inappropriate, but i'm scared. My father is declining cognitively quite quickly and his wife wants to put him in a V.A. (that is Veteran's Administration for you non-Americans) hospital in Florida and be done with him. I have heard bad things about these underfunded facilities ... I am a couple thousand miles away and we have never been "close," but that, of course, makes things all the more complicated in certain ways. any input welcome , thanks ..
    :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

cant give you any advice im afraid, just wanted you to know someones listening to you, we did have a similalar situation with my motherin law who was schizophrenic, but we are in the uk, stay strong,
    Twitch

Comment

Dexter......unless your ready to pay, sadly, the Va Home might not be a bad thing. Most Nurseing Homes that people go into on the outside (Low end) can be a real desaster. At least with the VA (A Govt. Org.) he will have adaiquit funding......the Govt. manages to have deep pockets. ( Even if thier budget is cut ). Go visit the site .....that's the only way to realy know what it's like. I'm a Vet., the care I see at the VA....is'nt that bad. IAD
      ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
      those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
      Dr. Seuss

Comment

Det, only have experience with Atlanta VA hospital with Daddy. He forced them to pay attention to him LOL but his mind was good, it was his body. They can be very negligent, in my experience. The alternatives are, as IAD said, bleak. Plus, the government requires you finance as much as possible in nursing homes from anything you have (savings, home, etc) even jointly, for the past 10 years, before they will pick up the bill. Putting property, etc. in someone else's name doesn't work. They've caught on to that trick. My thoughts are with you in this difficult decision.
        sigpic
        Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
        awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

thanks all ... from the little I know, it is going to be my father's (battleax) wife's decision anyway. My brother just saw my father and is distraught about his condition. I haven't seen my father in three years. My brother, who lives in Maryland, is talking about bringing my father to live with him, ,but i don't think that's realistic. My bro is freaked about the V.A. hospital issue.
          :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

Comment

Working...
          X