NO SUPPORT! What to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NO SUPPORT! What to do?

The last time I got drunk was last Sunday. I felt terrible on Monday and finally reached my wall. I threw out all the wine and liquor and tossed my favorite wine glass! Then I proceeded NOT to drink for the entire week. (m-F). I told my husband on Monday night that he should not buy me anymore wine or champagne at the grocery store and that he could have his beer, but it had to be kept down in the basement fridge. He agreed. I asked for his support and he agreed not to ever ask me if I wanted a "drink" while he was fixing his. So, we had a good week. On thursday ngiht, his office had a trick or treating party for all the kids that we went to. As soon as we got in the building, he brought me a glass of wine. (????!!!) Since he handed it to me in public, I took it and drank it. Because I KNEW that we had NO AL in our house, I allowed myself three glasses (drank them slowly!) and I felt good on Friday! :-) Then Friday night, we went out to eat and I had 3 glasses of wine again. (Again, I KNEW I couldn't keep on drinking once I got home, so I allowed myself this little indulgence)....and I feel great today! (Sat.) Then my husband goes to the liqour cabinet--which now has nothing in it---and wanted to know where everything was!! I had not told him that I threw everything out, but boy was I unprepared for the response when he found out. I calmly told him that I threw everything out reminding him that he agreed to have just his beer in the basement fridge. Well he got pissed and said, "that is such bullshit! I can't believe you did that! That was so inconsiderate! That is just such a lack of control on your part not to be able to have it in here!" And I said, "Yes, that is what I'm admitting. That I have no control over it. It's a problem for me." Then he said, "What is your problem? I mean, are you an alcoholic??!!!" And I said, "Well, yes, I think I probably am." He continued to question me like why was it so hard for me? Is it really that big of a deal for me, and so on ,,,and NOT in the nicest of tones, either. So I left the room and stayed away from him for a couple of hours doing the laundry. Now he is acting like nothing ever happened and is cooking dinner. I have to tell you that I feel hatred for him!!! I had a wonderful week, and can you believe he has not offered me any support!!?? WHAT AN ASSS!! You have to understand that this is a man who is soooooooo selfish and was sooooooo spoiled as a child. I knoew this before marrying him, but I never thought it would become an obstacle or a "problem" until I actually needed him to put MY needs before his. It's not possible for him!! I don't know what to do! I can't leave him...I'm a stay-at-home mom with three kids and no job!!!!!!!!!! feeling stuck and pissed and unappreciated and not understood at all!!! If anyone read this, god bless you because I am rambling, but it is good to get it out!
    Part of learning is getting it Wrong.
    The past is gone forever. Keep it Moving.

NO SUPPORT! What to do?

Hi Keg, the thing is, when you dont have a drink problem, its very very hard if not impossible to understand the people who do. They cant understand the obsession and physical need for a drink and also how desperately hard it is to stop.
    The only advice I would give is to do everything for YOU, get sober for you and do it on your own. When you are strong you will not need his support to do anything.
    Good luck Keg
    Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
    Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

NO SUPPORT! What to do?

Oh, Keg, I truly understand your story. I have one of those, too. But you have made a decision. You have seen the difference. His behavior, while abominable and totally unsupportive, is his problem. Stand by your resolution, and maybe tell him if he brings it up again you don't feel you can share this with him anymore after his reaction. Ask him to educate himself, and let him know both the dangers of your continued drinking and the benefits of stopping, for the both of you, because I can tell you now, it WILL affect you both in the long run. Congratulations on the past week. Talk to people who will give you support, give you good advice, support your goals, and he will have to see the change in you. Focus on yourself, and not him. He can't do this for you, and he is obviously focused on himself and how this all affects him. Good luck, and stay with us.
      sigpic
      Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
      awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

NO SUPPORT! What to do?

Hello Keg some good advice given by Starty and Ruby there. I just want offer you my support as well and agree that you should focus on your needs here because that is the important thing. We are here for you at MWO.
        Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

NO SUPPORT! What to do?

Keg, first of all, let me say I'm so sorry that you are in such a tough spot and that he doesnt understand what you are going through.

I've basically told my wife "I want to drink less and dont want to mix alcohol with some medication for the next 30 days whatsoever at all. We have several social functions coming up and I fully dont expect her to put me in such a position. I may drink after that, but I'm giving something a shot for an overall health goal for the next 30 Days....End of Story."

She isnt very uplifting in her support if I told her I was "quitting for good" or "had a problem". She would be the tough love type and honestly, I'm not up for that quite yet. I think i would benefit more from positive support from now rather than an watchdog.

Do you think you can leave it for now and get the basic "leave me alone for 30 Days" support? Just an idea...

Comment

Working...
          X