A warning to all parents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A warning to all parents

Mother whose six-week-old baby died after she took her to bed when drunk faces jail | Mail Online
    If alcohol made you happy I should be the happiest person alive! I'm not.

A warning to all parents

Even if we don't have an infant in our bed, how many times have you been 'under the influence' when alone with young children, or worse, driving them? But for the Grace of God, EVERY instance could have ended tragically. We have to understand that whatever we do to ourselves, the ripples in the lake of effects go on and on. I couldn't live if I hurt one of mine. So I MUST choose sobriety, or cut myself off from all I love.
    sigpic
    Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
    awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

A warning to all parents

I'm afraid I was guilty of taking my babies to bed with me whilst under the influence. One of the many stupid things I did.

I feel bad for her though.
      The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

A warning to all parents

That is such a sad thing......... but if I were on the jury, I would want to know if the autopsy could determine a COD. We've all done stupid things when drunk and, more often than not, it's not usually us alone that pay the price.

Comment

A warning to all parents

And this is just a case of stupidity.
          Bug spray likely killed infant, injured 2 in SC
          By SEANNA ADCOX Associated Press Writer The Associated Press
          Monday, November 2, 2009 10:24 PM EST

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — Bug spray that produces a fog to kill insects is likely to blame for the death of a 10-month-old South Carolina boy, and his 2-year-old brother was critically injured by the fumes, authorities said Monday.

Anderson County Deputy Coroner Don McCown said the boys' mother had been using foggers in their single-wide mobile home in Williamston, in the northwest part of the state, because of an insect problem. Elizabeth Whitfield, 25, called 911 on Sunday afternoon to report her youngest son was having trouble breathing.

Paramedics took all three to a hospital, and Jacob Whitfield was pronounced dead. His brother, Kenneth, was flown to another hospital about 20 minutes north to Greenville, where he remained Monday on a respirator, but was starting to stabilize, McCown said.

Elizabeth Whitfield was coated in chemicals when she first arrived to the hospital and had to remove her clothes and take a shower. She was released Sunday, but was re-admitted to the ER on Monday with breathing problems, McCown said.

Investigators found seven fogger containers. She told authorities she set off three when she began renting a month ago, then continued using them when the insects wouldn't die.

"Most people put these foggers in — they do it one time a month or every couple of months. She was using two to three a week," McCown said. "She said she followed the directions, but you have to wonder. We can't attribute it to anything else."

A single fogger is typically used to treat 6,000 cubic feet and can leave an oily residue on furniture and floors. Directions call for residents to cover all furniture, vacate the home for four hours, then open windows and doors for an hour before returning, he said.

While the pesticides appear to be the cause of death, confirmation through toxicology reports could take eight weeks. Other air quality tests turned up nothing. The baby was otherwise healthy with no signs of abuse or neglect, McCown said.

He said the home was located in a rural area and "pretty infested with insects, roaches. It was her goal to get rid of all of them."

"The stuff didn't seem to have too much effect on the bugs," he said. "They're still running everywhere."

The scent at the home was so strong authorities called in a hazardous materials team before entering. One deputy complained of headaches, McCown said.

Investigators initially focused on a grease fire, but tests showed that didn't play any role in the illnesses, McCown said.

"Right now, we're just concerned about them. We're hoping the 2-year-old can make a recovery and hope the mom will be OK," said Sheriff's Sgt. Steve Reeves.
          sigpic
          awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

A warning to all parents

I read that too Ruby, all I can say is was the mother dropped on her head as an infant? I hope child services pays very close attention to the remaining child and that the mother is fixed. My two cents...

Comment

A warning to all parents

I am SO cautious using foggers. Don't go back in the place for days, then clean everything b/f I let my dogs in.
              sigpic

Comment

A warning to all parents

Oh how very sad.
                "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

A warning to all parents

LVT25;749871 wrote: I'm afraid I was guilty of taking my babies to bed with me whilst under the influence. One of the many stupid things I did.

I feel bad for her though.
                  LVT25 I'm really ashamed to say I did that too in the passed - to this day it's the worst thing I've done under the influence. I'm just so very lucky.

Comment

A warning to all parents

But for the Grace of God. I've done terrible things when my grands were little. Still paying for them, an may they never be repeated.
                    sigpic

Comment

A warning to all parents

I want to add...endangering your family is horrendous. ENDANGERING yourself, which MANY MANY, probably most of us have done...is just as bad. The pain and suffering that is caused to a family as a result of stupid acts done when someone is drunk can scare your family for LIFE! We lost our loved one in a DUI accident...he killed no one but himself, BUT he hurt A LOT of people by his actions that day. It was stupid, it could have been prevented. Basically I view his death like I would a suicide...he committed suicide, he killed himself drinking and driving and we are all left with that incredible sadness to deal with the rest of our lives. So, next time you think drinking alone is OK...it ISN'T! Accidents happen all the time.
                      Forever loved, forever missed Papa Bear

Comment

Working...
                      X