Yoga - Sport or Religion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heard a news story questioning whether money earned at yoga classes should be tax-exempt (as are finances of religious organizations here in the States). Is yoga recreational, athletic or spritual?

I'd love be part of a community which offered daily yoga, etc. I'm sure it would support my efforts at moderation ...

i'd call yoga more of a philosophy than anything else...

Comment

I'd say it's all 3...there's so much to think about in a yoga class with the postures...and somehow this stills the mind. It's an amazing thing...with the right teacher.

Comment

I too think it can be all three. The word yoga in Sanskrit means union and traditionally yoga has been a pathway to enlightenment, stilling the mind and allowing the energies of the body to flow freely. It has nothing to do with religion other than in the sense, like religion, that different modalities exists and as in all things differences can create friction. Yoga is a peaceful pathway.

I'm sure it would help you lemonhead, it's something I intend to do myself.
        I love you, I'm sorry, please forgive me, thank you.

Comment

I LOVE my yoga, and credit it with a lot of the changes I've gone through over the past year. Just managing to do the first class and then commit to regular practice was a huge achievement for me. I wanted to find the confidence to get back out and work again after ten years raising kids, which I've just done. I think you can take from it what you want, just try with an open mind, and if you can try different teachers/classes if you can. Go for it

Bets.
          xxxx
          Proud to be SLIGHTLY SLOVENLY.:wavin:

[/COLOR]

Comment

I love Yoga. I only take a recreational class, but I know that it is a discipline that is studied and combines all aspects of mind, body and spirit. The physical benefits for me are wonderful. It keeps your spine healthy and they say a healthy spine is your lifeline. At the end of class there is a relaxation segment where you can focus on breathing and meditation. My friend just started the class and says its like exercising and taking a nap at the same time.

Everything I need is within me!

Comment

Yoga is both a sport and a religion......." Once you've master the sport of getting yourself tied up like a prezel, you pray to God to get you arse out of it !" Ha! ..........that pic..is that a yoga position or something out of Kama Sutra...! Ha! IAD.
              ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
              those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
              Dr. Seuss

Comment

IAD's, you sicko! ROFL I love my yoga. The problem is EVERYTHING is being questioned now as to status because of tax status. The Scientology group narrowly missed being completely banned in France in the last few weeks. Who draws the line, who makes the decision? If too many try to claim it, none will be honored.
                sigpic
                Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
                awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Ditto....IAD...one sick puppy! But lovable none the less!

I have practiced yoga for many years. I do not see yoga as a "religion at all". I do however experience many spiritual benefits of yoga. Yoga definitely helps me to stay sober, healthy and balanced!
                  A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Oh dear IAD....skinny limbs everywhere...

Comment

Working...
                    X