Thank God I'm sober

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank God I'm sober

So about 6 weeks ago, I get blind sided by some 21 one year old kid who proceeded to get out of the car and yell at me. Everyone's okay, I get my rental (minivan, didn't think I looked like a soccer Mom), get my car fixed and everything is okay. When that accident happened, I was probably about 10 days sober. I was grateful for that. Not that I ever drove drunk, but I did drive hungover and sometimes, I think that may be worse.

So today, get to the gym by 7am, take a back to back spin/hatha yoga class. Come home, clean house, steam furniture and carpets and go meet some friends at the local sports bar to see some football/nascar. Had myself two big club soda's w/ cranberry and lime. I'm getting more used to going out and not drinking. Came home, cooked my husband dinner and thought I should go to the market to get food for work for the week so I didn't eat any junk. As I'm making my way to the market, my gas light goes on. Oh good, gas station right on the corner. Pull into the pump and realize that the cap is on the other side (drove the minivan to long I guess)...turned around and started to back into my spot. All of the sudden I heard that all to familiar noise again. Yes, someone was trying to beat me to the pump and drove across the back end of my Envoy (he had a BMW). Get out and the guy started to yell at ME. There was only a scape on my bumper, but his car was scraped good up the side of his car. I couldn't believe it. Doesn't anyone take responsibility for their actions. Thank goodness there was a witness to reiterate the truth. When the cop came, the guy still tried to lie and say I backed up into him.

Anyway, the point of the story is that I stopped drinking on October 2. I don't count days anymore as I kind of lose track (I do every few days or so). I got kind of pissed today because I was thinking, great, this is what happens when you try to take care of yourself. Then I realized I was being foolish. Feeling sorry for myself, almost looking for an excuse to go pour myself a wine (yes, there is spirits in my house as my husband drinks). There it was, the demon, not as dead as I thought it was. Like a whisper in the wind, trying to allure me with self doubt, telling me, see it happens anyway, why not enjoy yourself. I am grateful to have the clarity to recoginze this because prior to getting sober, that EXACTLY what I would have done. Go right to the hooch for some comfort.

The demon is a liar and is still trying to grab on when he sees the opportunity. I am extremely grateful that I am in the right mind to recognize him now....Thanks for the listen. SB
    AF since 2/4/10
    Nicotine free since 3/31/10
    FINALLY FREE

Thank God I'm sober

shirazgirl;753456 wrote: someone was trying to beat me to the pump and drove across the back end of my Envoy (he had a BMW). Get out and the guy started to yell at ME. There was only a scape on my bumper, but his car was scraped good up the side of his car. I couldn't believe it. Doesn't anyone take responsibility for their actions. Thank goodness there was a witness to reiterate the truth. When the cop came, the guy still tried to lie and say I backed up into him.
    ugh, those people shit me to tears.
    You did good Shiraz...and remember, whatever bad thing happened today - it's never as bad as nothing happening on a day when you were drinking .

xo

Comment

Thank God I'm sober

SG, well done!
      "Stuff" will continue to happen, thats life, but learning to cope with it sober is what we all aspire to. Its sounds like thats exactly what you are doing.
      Great going!!
      Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
      Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Thank God I'm sober

Great stuff, SG!

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Thank God I'm sober

Hi SG I read a lot on this site almost everyday since May 09. I don't post very much, not sure why!!I have read your threads and just wanted to say how much I love your positive attitude it is a real inspiration keep it up and don't let them dogs get you down!!
          Good friends are like stars you may not always see them but you know they are there

Comment

Thank God I'm sober

Well done Shirazgirl - you did well girl I am similar AF to you I think and its so very good to kick that demon up the ass when it whispers in your ear!

Comment

Thank God I'm sober

Great post shiraz!

Comment

Thank God I'm sober

Any disruption in our mood and AL takes it as an invite. Why does our mind go there?? Way to go for being so strong!!

Everything I need is within me!

Comment

Thank God I'm sober

SG, I had a DUI in the past, and it was HORRIBLE. Since then, when I've infrequent contact with the police (license checks, sobriety checks, accident scenes, etc.) I too have thanked God for being sober. Then I also thought of the times I had driven impaired without incident, and knew I had even more to be thankful for. Yes, it is a wonderful feeling, isn't it?
                  sigpic
                  Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
                  awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Thank God I'm sober

Very astute observation! Keep kicking that b***ard to the curb!
                    sigpic
                    Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Thank God I'm sober

shirazgirl;753456 wrote: The demon is a liar and is still trying to grab on when he sees the opportunity. I am extremely grateful that I am in the right mind to recognize him now....
                      AMEN. Good job handling things.

Since getting sober I had a couple of traffic type incidents too. I really shook my head thinking of all the times I drove when I shouldn't have, and somehow I got lucky. Now sober I start getting tickets and have random weird stuff happen!

I somehow think it's the universe sending me a message that I was somehow being watched after before..... Who knows but that thought certainly occured to me.

Anyway...congrats on your great progress learning to live a solid AF life through the ups AND the downs.

DG
                      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Thank God I'm sober

Great post, Shiraz. You did awesome!
                        When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.
                        -- Franklin D Roosevelt --

Comment

Thank God I'm sober

Doggygirl;753560 wrote: I somehow think it's the universe sending me a message that I was somehow being watched after before..... Who knows but that thought certainly occured to me.
                          I completely agree.
                          sigpic
                          Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Thank God I'm sober

Thanks for the post, Shirazgirl. You handled it well. You saw the demon lurking, realized it, and kicked it's ass back to the curb. Thank you so much for the reminder that we just don't know when it's going to rear it's ugly head, and we do need to always be vigilant.
                            ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

Thank God I'm sober

thanks for everyone's comments and posts....it means bundles...
                              AF since 2/4/10
                              Nicotine free since 3/31/10
                              FINALLY FREE

Comment

Working...
                              X