Anti Anxiety Medication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anti Anxiety Medication

Not sure where to post this but I've come across something very interesting. Recently I was perscribed anti anxiety medication as I was feeling very overwhelmed and was terribly anxious most of the time. When I started on this medication I was almost 30 days AF. Anyway, since taking this medication the anxiety has all but gone away and what's interesting is that I have absolutely no desire for alcohol! I don't even think about it, look for it in the stores...nothing! Wow, did my obsessiveness and anxiety perpetuate the drinking? I think so and since those feelings have subsided, so has the desire to drink.
    Just thought I would pass this on. Anyone else out there have this same experience?
    When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.
    -- Franklin D Roosevelt --

Anti Anxiety Medication

Terrific!! And the medication was...........
    sigpic
    Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Anti Anxiety Medication

Lexapro, Green

Comment

Anti Anxiety Medication

Wow,
        I have to agree with you that anxiety perpetuates drinking, it did for me!
        Unfortunately, Lexapro did not help me - think it even made me worse. I found success when I stopped Lexapro & started on Amoryn (herbal product). Once the overwhelming anxiety was under control going AF was not terribly difficult!
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Anti Anxiety Medication

Pain & Stress center has some great products (non pharma) for anxiety and depression.
          sigpic

Comment

Anti Anxiety Medication

I was also not sleeping. Going to bed and just laying awake all night. I could not 'shut my brain down' if that makes any sense. I tried all over the counter sleep aids along with calms forte and nothing worked. Now I'm calm and cool and sleeping like a baby! So far this med has been the answer for me.

Comment

Anti Anxiety Medication

Just be careful...

I was on Cipralex for quite a while (same as Lexapro, just the brand name under which it is sold in South Africa), and it didn't work well for me at all. Not in the least.

It is an antidepressant of the SSRI variety (same as Prozac)
              I'll do whatever it takes
              AF 21/08/2009

Comment

Anti Anxiety Medication

I am on Prozac, an SSRI and I believe it has worked wonders for me. I think I would still be drinking if it wasnt for that. I think my depression led me to self medicate with drink and drugs.
                Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
                Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Anti Anxiety Medication

Just to clarify:

What I meant about being careful, was not to do things like discontinuing it suddenly - causes what they call "brain zaps"
                  I'll do whatever it takes
                  AF 21/08/2009

Comment

Anti Anxiety Medication

I had those. I decided on my own not to refill the scrip. Whoa! Bad idea!
                    sigpic

Comment

Anti Anxiety Medication

Oh yes I tried to come off them....wont be trying that again in a hurry!

Comment

Anti Anxiety Medication

I don't see myself stopping anytime soon. But, yes always taper down when coming off any anti depressant. Otherwise you suffer bad withdrawals. I know, when I suddenly decided to stop taking Prozac years ago....bad news! Taper, taper, taper and under your doctors supervision!

Comment

Anti Anxiety Medication

I did taper, over about 2 months but about 3 months later I was in a terrible state. Is that what happened to you?

Comment

Anti Anxiety Medication

I'm on Cymbalta, and its been a wonder drug for me. An interesting side effect - it cuts your appetite. In my case, that's a plus. Before I started it, I literally sat and drank, nothing else. I couldn't see past the end of my nose because of my depression. It's also used to treat my med condition, so a bonus.
                            sigpic
                            Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
                            awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Anti Anxiety Medication

When I first started on the Prozac Rubes, my appetite was cut too, seems more normal now. But I dont binge like I used to now.

Comment

Working...
                              X