Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taking drugs to cure an addiction - please !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok I'm a sceptic,
    I never take tablets or medicine.
    My wife does laugh at me because I catch every cold as soon as the boys do, but I don't do lemsip, or anything.

Some desperate people who drink all day may need the drugs or medication, but most of us here don't.

I was too frightened to stop because of the side effects, but it was just my brain giving me a reason why I shouldn't stop.
    We just need moderation.
    We just need a good self-will
    Our bodies are poisined enough, don't chuck more chemicals into the coctail.

We can do it, Yes we can !! as Bob said.
    As they say on this site, water, lemon, water water
    sorry, I have to leave - i need the lavatory.
    goodnight all.
    A stupid alpha male.

Hi adi, im new here and dont have expereance to say much.
    im on campral and have beaten my old AF record by a huge margin.( 3 day against 3 weeks and counting) Ihope you find what you are looking for. there are heaps of great people here.
    AF since 10/26/2009

It will be five years sober 10/26/2014

Comment

I must say adi just my opinion ( which is as valied as anybodies !) I find your post quite offensive ! People come on here bacuae they need help and support and I applaud you if you have found a solution through AA but many dont , I believe the fall out rate for AA is over 80% and of the 20% who find it work for them many of them have regular relapes. I would suggest that you read some of the research on the various medications that are available to help people . And to finish I for one would never knock anything that helps other people be it chemical spritual or other wise . And if you take the time to look around the post on this site drugs have saved/ helped many people on here and quite a few I am privilaged to call my frineds. and they have helped me and transformed my life beyond belief !

Comment

Adi,
        It is not very nice to judge other people. Different things work for differnet people. We are all wired different. I didn't use meds to stop, but I've heard other people have with a very good success rate. Heroin addicts take methadone and suboxone to get off their addictions. Are they just weak too? So,
        I am happy that whatever worked for you is your signature to sobriety.

To each his own.
        AF since 2/4/10
        Nicotine free since 3/31/10
        FINALLY FREE

Comment

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance ? that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

-Herbert Spencer, The Big Book, 2001 Edition 4 Page 568

The following quote is from a speech give by By Bill W. (Co-founder of AA) " ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS IN IT?S THIRD DECADE" . Presented to the New York City Medical Society on Alcoholism April 28, 1958:

" We also realize that the discoveries of the psychiatrists and the biochemists have vast implications for us alcoholics. Indeed, these discoveries are today far more than implications. Your President and other pioneers in and outside your Society have been achieving notable results for a long time, many of their patients having made good recoveries without any A.A. at all. It should here be noted that some of the recovery methods employed outside A.A. are quite in contradiction to AA principles and practice. Nevertheless, we of AA ought to applaud the fact that certain of these efforts are meeting with increasing success. We know, too, that psychiatry can often release the big neurotic overhang from which many of us suffer after A.A. has sobered us. We know that psychiatrists have sent us innumerable alcoholics who would have never otherwise approached AA, and many clinics have done likewise. We clearly see that by pooling our resources we can do together what could never be accomplished in separation; or in short-sighted criticism and in competition. Therefore I would like to make a pledge to the whole medical fraternity that AA will always stand ready to cooperate, that A.A. will never trespass upon medicine, that our members who feel the call will increasingly help in those great enterprises of education, rehabilitation and research which are now going forward with such promise. So menacing is the growing spectacle of alcoholism that nothing short of the total resources of society can hope to vanquish or much lessen the strength of our very dangerous adversary, John Barleycorn. The subtlety and power of the alcoholic?s malady is revealed on every page of mankind?s history - and never so starkly and so destructive as in this century. When our combined understanding and knowledge have been fully massed and applied, we of AA know that we shall find our friends of medicine in the very front rank - just where so many of you are already standing today. When such an array of benign and cooperative action is in full readiness, it can, and will surely be, a great tomorrow for that vast host of men who suffer from alcoholism, and from all its dark and baleful consequences."

A little skepticism is healthy as long as it serves to make you investigate further and not dismiss things outright. I was skeptical initially until I poured over more than thirty years of published medical literature, studies and clinical trials.

Medical treatments like The Sinclair Method of pharmacological extinction in particular regularly cure people of alcoholism in clinics around the world with success rates higher than 80%. Over 100,000 people have been cured worldwide to date.

I'm not going to knock any method that saves even one life from the horrors of addiction. Some people would stack proven medical success rates like that of The Sinclair Method (80%) against proven ineffective success rates like that of AA (1-3% long term). I choose to stack them together and say: "Hey! That's more lives saved!"
          :nutso: I take pride in my humility :nutso:
          :what?:
          sigpic
          Graph of My Drinking From July '09 to January '10

Consolidated Baclofen Information Thread

Baclofen for Alcoholism and Other Addictions
          A Forum
          Trolls need not apply

Comment

I'm not going to knock any method that saves even one life from the horrors of addiction. Some people would stack proven medical success rates like that of The Sinclair Method (80%) against proven ineffective success rates like that of AA (1-3% long term). I choose to stack them together and say: "Hey! That's more lives saved!"

Amen. I think WHATEVER works for you DO IT.There is no right way or wrong way if it gets you sober. AA works for some,Bac has worked for me and Topa has worked for many. We all have a common goal. It doesn't help to belittle what anyone has done to get sober.

Comment

Well said, Lo0p! "More lives saved" -- that is key!

Comment

Actually...

Brave Hearted;757178 wrote: I must say adi just my opinion ( which is as valied as anybodies !) I find your post quite offensive ! People come on here bacuae they need help and support and I applaud you if you have found a solution through AA but many dont , I believe the fall out rate for AA is over 80% and of the 20% who find it work for them many of them have regular relapes. I would suggest that you read some of the research on the various medications that are available to help people . And to finish I for one would never knock anything that helps other people be it chemical spritual or other wise . And if you take the time to look around the post on this site drugs have saved/ helped many people on here and quite a few I am privilaged to call my frineds. and they have helped me and transformed my life beyond belief !
                Actually, the success rate for AA is only 5% after one year. I was in AA for 12 years and really I loved it for a while. It is no longer my "path," however. I found so many of the "members" to be judgmental and intolerant of other approaches, even though the AA Big Book clearly states, "Upon therapy for the alcoholic himself, we surely have no monopoly." (Forward To the Second Edition, xxi)

So, even though some "members" can be harsh in their criticism of other approaches, I don't think that is what the founders of AA had in mind. Bill Wilson is probably turning over in his grave! :H AA works for some people and I cannot judge those people. Some of the "members" were very supportive and caring. You find that too.

I am now in a non-12 step program which focuses on addiction as an impulse control disorder associated with the neuro-biological pleasure centers of the brain. The program uses medical and psychological approaches to treat addiction. This approach includes Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT). I am so glad I found it!

So, whatever "path" each of us chooses, my hat is off to you! It takes a lot of courage to get help. I see so many of my peers just give up and drink themselves to death or to insanity. None of us here are trying to do that. I think we all deserve a round of applause!

All My Best,
                Renee
                The Universe stirs up our comfortable nests, and pushes us over the edge of them, forcing us to use out wings...

Comment

yep, you got it right there, Lo0p, shiraz, Dolly, renee... now we're done here, I think.
                  Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

I don't think adi is in AA. I hope he's found something that helps though.
                    :nutso: I take pride in my humility :nutso:
                    :what?:
                    sigpic
                    Graph of My Drinking From July '09 to January '10

Consolidated Baclofen Information Thread

Baclofen for Alcoholism and Other Addictions
                    A Forum
                    Trolls need not apply

Comment

LoOp, just wanted to thank you for that Bill W quote. I have read in a number of places that he was very interested in any and all research and possibility for success treating alcoholism, regardless of method. I printed out that quote from his speech to keep with my AA materials lest anyone in AA question that. I suppose luckily for me, I have not encountered a lot of antagonism towards other ideas about quitting drinking. But it does come up which I suppose is only natural in a large population - there are strong opinions among the people here at MWO as well. I don't agree with all of 'em! But such is life!

As for the OP, this post is mild compared to the PM he sent me about my user name and whether that related to pet dogs or sex. :nutso: Regardless adi, I wish you well on your quest for sobriety.

DG
                      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Working...
                      X