Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rethinking Drinking

Hello All,

Just wanted to post this information for those of you who are contemplating whether you have an alcohol problem, attempting to quit, moderate, etc. There is a website put out by the National Institutes for Health (NIH) called "Rethinking Drinking." There's are self-assessments to help you determine if you have an alcohol problem and whether you should try moderating or quitting. There's also lots of information on strategies for quitting, support networks, etc.

Rethinking Drinking - NIAAA

M3
    AF Since April 20, 2008
    4 Years!!!
    :lilheart:

Rethinking Drinking

mom3, been missing you!
    sigpic
    Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
    awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Rethinking Drinking

Hope all is well with you Ruby! I post in the Monthy Abstinence section from time to time!
      AF Since April 20, 2008
      4 Years!!!

Comment

Rethinking Drinking

You're looking great, hon! Thanks for the post.
        sigpic
        Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
        awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Rethinking Drinking

Thanks MOM....good to see you.
          Forever loved, forever missed Papa Bear

Comment

Rethinking Drinking

This should go in the toolbox. I hope no one minds if I post it there.
            My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Rethinking Drinking

Hi again M3! Good to have you back around here a little more. Thanks for the link. It really looks to be a valuable tool and Sunbeam, thanks for adding it to the Toolbox.

On a lighter note, I have to say I was :H when I looked at the quick quiz to determine if one has a problem with alcohol. More than 3 drinks in any given day, or more than 7 drinks in any given week? :H:H:H I didn't drink like a sailor. I drank like the whole navy.

I have occassionally thought about a re-designed "are you an alkie?" survey that has questions such as....

1) What is the maximum number of empty wine/liquor bottles you can hide in a single trash bag without the garbage man pegging you as an alkie?

2) How many liquor stores do you shop at so the clerks won't peg you as an alkie?

3) Do you have an opinion about the best type of coffee mug to hide a drink in so people won't know it's alcohol?

4) When your hangover is so bad that you say to yourself or others "I'll never drink again!" how long is it until you drink again?

5) Do you have a strategy for figuring out who you called last night when you don't remember calling anyone, but are pretty sure you did?

6) Have you ever finished off other people's drinks because it's a shame to let good wine (liquor / beer) go to waste?

7) Forget how many drinks you had at the party. What I REALLY want to know is how many drinks you had BEFORE you left for the party.

8) Multiple choice: Cooking Wine is for:
              A) Cooking
              B) Emergencies such as running out of drinking wine

9) Oh what the heck. How many drinks did you have after you got home from the party?

10) What time is "5PM somewhere" in your time zone?

11) On weekends, what time is "noon somewhere" in your time zone?

I bet with some additional contributions, we could develop one helluva survey!!!!

DG
              Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
              Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Rethinking Drinking

Spot on DG!!!

Here's a few I would add:

--Do you drink 2 or more BOTTLES of wine per night?

--Have you ever borrowed a neighbor's car to go the the liquor store because you only had one bottle of wine left in the house (and your car was being repaired at the garage)?

--Are you afraid you are going to stab your eyeball while putting your mascara on in the morning because your hands are so shaky?

--Do you have a little something to drink in the morning to "steady" yourself?

--Has food started to disinterest you?

--Have you been spending more and more time alone (so you can drink as much as you want)

--Do you put your empty wine bottles in several neighbors' recycle bins the night before trash pick up?
                AF Since April 20, 2008
                4 Years!!!

Comment

Rethinking Drinking

:H Now we are talking about a survey I can actually relate to!!

Seriously - when I was drinking, any time I would have to answer questions about it - like on a doctors questionairre of one form or another...it was like HUH????? I couldn't even relate to questions like:

In a month, how many drinks do you have?
                  A) none
                  B) 1
                  C) 2
                  D) More than 2

The quantities listed on the highest end of those quizzes were such a small fraction of my actual drinking volume it just didn't even compute. So I did what any successful college student does - if you don't know the correct answer, pick "C
                  "! Which makes me wonder how much misinformation abounds on some of the studies...

I love the one about the mascara. Been there done that many times! Then have to explain one really bloodshot eye, and another really really really really bloodshot eye at work..... :egad:

DG
                  Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                  Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Working...
                  X